Not smokin cheese but makin cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not smokin cheese but makin cheese

This is some cheese I made quit awhile ago, but thought I would post it here for some info, or if anyone is interested in this type of cheese. I also know this is not what is called by cheese purest a "true" ricotta, but it will do for this white boy

1. this one is a ricotta cheese from whole milk. here is the recipe. I add about double the amount of salt.
    Ricotta from Whole Milk
    1. Use whole milk .. The fresher the better
    2. Add 2 tsp of citric acid per gallon of liquid (dissolved in 1 cup cool water). Add 1/2 of this Citric Acid solution to the milk (save the rest of the citric acid). Stir briskly for 5-10 seconds.
    3. Add 1 tsp salt
    4. Heat the milk slowly on low to med stirring well to prevent scorching
    5. At 165-170F watch for small flakes forming in the milk and the separation of small curds.
    If after a few minutes you do not see the flakes forming, add more of the Citric acid until they form (do this in small 1 Tbsp increments to avoid over acid milk).
    6. Continue heating to 190-195F then turn the heat off
    7. As the curds rise, use a perforated ladle to gently move them from the sides to the center of the pot. These clumps of curd will begin to consolidate floating on top of the liquid.
    Let the curds rest for 10-15 min.
    *** This is very important because this is the point where the final Ricotta quality is assured
    8. Ladle the curds gently into draining forms (No cheese cloth should be needed if you were patient in the previous step). Let the curds drain for 15 min up to several hours.
    For a fresh light ricotta, drain it for a short while (until the free whey drainage slows) and chill to below 50F. For a rich, dense and buttery texture allow it to drain for an extended period of time (several hours). before chilling overnight
    Move to a refrigerator or cold room. Consume within 10 days

just getting started

curd forming

in to some molds

a look at the whey after getting all the curds out.

and here is what the cheese looks like after the molds. I should have pressed them a little long but it still taste great.

2. Here is the recipe for queso blanco ( also use about double the amount of salt.

Start with 1 Gallon of Milk heated slowly to 185F with occasional stirring.

Once the temp is reached add 1/4 cup of White Vinegar (I used apple cider) while stirring. Add this in 3 equal additions. You should notice the curds beginning to form and the whey separating as a greenish yellow liquid. Let rest for 5 min.

Once the curds begin to form well, stir to keep from matting for another 5 minutes.

Spread a sanitized piece of cheesecloth over a colander which is placed over a pan to collect the whey.

Pour the curds and whey into this cloth. Add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt.

Chopped chiles, spices or herbs can be mixed in also at this point.

Stir the curds gently to increase whey drainage and mix the salt. The cloth may be hung for 10-30 minutes for a drier cheese.

Transfer your curds to an open ended 2 Lb. cheese mold resting on a draining mat and set the follower on top.

Begin with 10 lbs of weight for 20 min. and then increase to 25 lbs for 2-5 hours.

(for the herbs i used 2 fresh japs from the garden and also cut some fresh oregano)
    here are some pics from the process
    all it takes

all mixed up.

into the press

out of the press and time to sample

Tasty
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

Great looking cheese! Homemade is by far superior!

Comment

Cool Jerod, sparked my interest. My last try @ mozzarella failed. Need to try these.
      sigpic

Comment

These 2 are very easy...If you don;t have a weight press you can just put it in a cheese cloth and spin it around and tighten it. That will make enough pressure to squeeze out enough of the liquid (hint: hang it over the sink or on the sink faucet it's self)
        Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Cool Jerod, sparked my interest. My last try @ mozzarella failed. Need to try these.
        Jerod
        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
        sigpic

Comment

interesting... i might have to try some of this... i LOVE queso blanco on nachos, but never knew it was this "easy" to make. i don't have a cheese mold either, but might have to look into getting one or two. would you recommend a specific shape or size? is there an easy way to make one? I have a shit-ton of extra butter dishes and stuff in the garage that would be perfect based on your pictures.

BTW, my parents have that exact same set of knives... just thought it was kinda co-incidental... welding, knives, smokers... i bet we are related some how. lol

Later,
          Andy
          Current babies:
          -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
          -RichTee's Lang :)
          Former Lineup:
          -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
          -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
          -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
          BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

LOL...ya never know we might be, I am from a family of long hair gypsy's that roamed all of america I think....

Do what I said to Shawn with the cheese cloth twisted up. It will make a ball of cheese instead but will be just fine. You could also find some Tupperware that the misses doesn't car about and make a press by drillings drain holes in it and cutting the lid to slide down in the bowl when weight is put on top of it.
            Originally posted by aczeller View Post
            interesting... i might have to try some of this... i LOVE queso blanco on nachos, but never knew it was this "easy" to make. i don't have a cheese mold either, but might have to look into getting one or two. would you recommend a specific shape or size? is there an easy way to make one? I have a shit-ton of extra butter dishes and stuff in the garage that would be perfect based on your pictures.

BTW, my parents have that exact same set of knives... just thought it was kinda co-incidental... welding, knives, smokers... i bet we are related some how. lol

Later,
            Andy
            Jerod
            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
            sigpic

Comment

Great post and great looking cheese. I keep hoping to get some time to do that soon. Thanks for sharing the process
              Scarbelly

Comment

OH BOY, another food hobby... where can I buy a cheese mold/press
                sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                members mark upright propane smoker
                kingsford bbq
                23"weber kettle

Comment

a quick search just made me fall in love with spending money again...

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/

beer, wine, cheese, and soda making... m wife will hate me more than ever in the next few weeks. lol

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                  -RichTee's Lang :)
                  Former Lineup:
                  -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                  -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                  -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                  BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Very intriguing. Something else I want to try!
                    You sir deserve some

Great post!

Dave

Comment

first thanks all.....Here is a link to where I got this little press that works for what I need
                      http://www.thecheesemaker.com/supplies.htm

enjoy!
                      Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                      OH BOY, another food hobby... where can I buy a cheese mold/press
                      Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

Sweet....on the to do list....

Comment

One other thing you can do with both these cheeses:
                          Run them through a food processor and (optionally) add some herbs or spices.
                          Then press the cheese spread into moulds (I used old cream cheese tubs) and leave to set in the fridge.

Creates a firm but spreadable cream cheese :-)
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                            first thanks all.....Here is a link to where I got this little press that works for what I need
                            http://www.thecheesemaker.com/supplies.htm

enjoy!
                            thanks,I'm wondering if a person could make one out of pvc pipe
                            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                            members mark upright propane smoker
                            kingsford bbq
                            23"weber kettle

Comment

I would see why not.....give her a shot and let us know. Nice log size cheese.
                              Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                              thanks,I'm wondering if a person could make one out of pvc pipe
                              Jerod
                              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X