ronp salted/smoked/grilled steak. Here's to you buddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ronp salted/smoked/grilled steak. Here's to you buddy

Browsing the meat section today they had NY strips $2off, I picked up a pack and started to think of RonP. Great man, great smoker and so I decided to do up a steak the way he loved to.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/member.php?u=146

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/user/ronp

Though he was partial to ribeyes I got the strips, salted for an hour at room temp (was making tea with my right arm so bit too much salt fell out while shaking with my left) then rinsed thoroughly, patted dry and seasoned with garlic powder and pepper.

You may think the salt would make the steak salty but what it does is take a tougher cut of meat (not necessarily tough but not prime/kobe/dry aged), breaks it down by extracting the liquids and then the meat reabsorbs the liquid sort of like a brining process.
    Salt for one hour per inch of meat.

Onto the smoker at 150 (lowest gas would go) for an hour.
    I wouldn't normally have posted this pic but in honor of Ron I will. It isn't the prettiest thing in it's current state but he would post even if it wasn't a pretty site or even if someone drove through his backyard

Onto a hot grill bout 3 minutes per side. I was going for med-rare and it was med-rare/medium.
    Served with broccoli and garlic.

Unfortunately I was out of Yoshido's and hard to get around here but I think Ron would have been proud.

Never forget when he got the surprise of cases of Yoshido's and a signed pic from Mr. Yoshido back on smurf.

That and his smoked cheetos

Smoke on Brother...
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post

Unfortunately I was out of Yoshido's and hard to get around here but I think Ron would have been proud.

Never forget when he got the surprise of cases of Yoshido's and a signed pic from Mr. Yoshido back on smurf.

First off...GREAT POST!

Secondly if you need/want Yoshida's is a Portland, OR icon. he ran for mayor here. I can get all the bottled stuff you want and mail it to you.

Comment

Just a fabulous looking plate Jim...
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

A very touching tribute to a wonderful guy that we all enjoyed interacting with.
        for thinking about an old friend.
        sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Great Looking Plate and a Great Tribute to Ron...

I still think about him a lot, I miss his nightly calls...

Comment

I still remember all of Ron's posts. Especially the cheetos. He moved and then disappeared. He's still with this world I hope. You guys are making it sound pretty cryptic. Where's Ronp?

Dave

Comment

Nice tribute to Ron, he would be proud. I remember that post when he got the signed pic and case of yoshidas. That was too cool.
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by GratefulDave View Post
                He's still with this world I hope. You guys are making it sound pretty cryptic. Where's Ronp?
                Ron did pass away Dave...gone but certainly not forgotten. Beautiful post Jim. RIP RonP.

Paul (Beer B Q) was instrumental in getting that Yoshidas gift for Ron...This generated quite a buzz at SMURF, along with some not so flattering stories I could tell, but won't. Paul, you are a class act.
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Great Tribute...

I really miss seeing Ron's cell number come up on the phone while driving the 3 hours from Denver home on Thursdays. He would talk and ask questions the whole way, even started to know where I was on the highway by when the call dropped and he had to redial.

RIP RonP you are not forgotten
                  Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Nice!!!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Great post a tribute to a really nice guy. The Yoshida's delivery was so cool. I remember how surprised he was.
                      Scarbelly

Comment

for a great tribute to a great man. I had just joined SMF and had been a member for a couple of months before Ron passed away. He was so encouraging to a newbie like me and I'm so thankful I got to know him even for a short time. Also a shoutout to Paul for being such a big influence on my "experiments". RIP Ron!

Comment

Nice tribute to Ron, and nice steak RIP Ron

Comment

nice job FiU, was just thinking about Ron the other day and was gonna ck and see when the aniversery was. mebe was gonna do something like you did. i got a bottle of yoshidas which i never cracked the seal on it and figured that be a good time.

Originally posted by Beer-B-Q View Post
                            Great Looking Plate and a Great Tribute to Ron...

I still think about him a lot, I miss his nightly calls...
                            Ditto man, he used to call me every sunday nite like clockwork. think he made the most outta his minutes than anyone i knew.

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                            Great Tribute...

I really miss seeing Ron's cell number come up on the phone while driving the 3 hours from Denver home on Thursdays. He would talk and ask questions the whole way, even started to know where I was on the highway by when the call dropped and he had to redial.

RIP RonP you are not forgotten
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                              First off...GREAT POST!

Secondly if you need/want Yoshida's is a Portland, OR icon. he ran for mayor here. I can get all the bottled stuff you want and mail it to you.
                              I was gonna say the same thing. Junki Yoshida is quite a character, I used to love watching the little "cooking with Junki" segments they used to do on the news every so often, and the different stuff he'd come up with. Kinda miss having RonP around carrying the torch for Yoshida's on EVERYTHING.
                              Mike
                              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                              X