My butt Ham and Hoppin Juan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My butt Ham and Hoppin Juan

Well I don't mean to be a thread hog ( third one this week ). Whoa!.
    About a week ago I started cureing a pork butt, to make a ham out of it for easter since I have five of them in the freezer. All I have is Tender Quick, so followed their recipe for a brine cure, which is; 1 Cup of Tender Quick to 4 Cups of water.

To this I also added;

1 Tbls. Pickling Spice
    1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
    1/3 Cup Molassis
    1 heaping tsp. Whole Black Peppercorns
    1, 4 inch cinnamon stick busted up

All the above was simmered and let steep for 15 mins in about 1 cup of the brines water.

I was a little concerned about the Tender Quick makeing this ham salty seeins that this pork butt weighed 9 pounds and 1 Cup of this is about 12 Tbls. and @ 1 Tbls. recommended per pound was exceeding this by 3 Tbls. Which in my mind would be enough for a 12 pounder, but then again it is dilluted with water. Someday I hope to come across some Cure #1. without having to order it. I did inject this initially and then again half way through the cure/brine process. When I put it in the container for brineing there wasn't enough brine to cover it and ended up adding 2 more cups of water.

So today I sliced off and fried.....................SALTY

Soaked for a couple hours and changed the water and continued to soak for 3 more hours. Tried it again and it seemed perfect.

Here it is placed on a rack to dry in the fridge for who knows how long to develop the pellicle, and then plan on a somewhat hot smoke @ 180* with most likely hickory.

While I am waiting for the pellicle I made a batch of hoppin juan with the left over bone from my humbley crumbley fatty post. I just call it that because I had a half pound of each pinto's and black eyed peas.

Last edited by SmokinLee; 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM.

Yum!!! Now I'm hungry!!
    jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dude...that looks great! Nice, really nice!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Heh Hoppin Juan...What no Japs? I bet that ham comes out great, Lee.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well I guess I owe ya. You always make me hungry. LOL
          I just had that ham bone left from the futty experiment left, so used it up.

Comment

It does look good so far rich> I do think it will be excellent.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Heh Hoppin Juan...What no Japs? I bet that ham comes out great, Lee.

Comment

Keep posting good stuff like that and go ahead, be a thread hog. Thanks for the pics.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

man that does look good cant wait to se that butt when its done.....
                Mike
                Oklahoma City
                22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                Weber 22.5 Performer
                GOSM 3405gw
                Boomer Sooner Drum
                Maverick ET-732
                Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

This is my plan but am more than open for opinions on this part. Like I said I plan on a Med. Hot Smoke @ 180* until the internal hit's 145*. Then Just let cool, wrap and chill until Easter ( 5 -6 Days ). I then am planning on putting in the kitchen oven at 325* until internal of 160*. What do you all think about this plan?

Comment

Lookin great Lee! Them home cure hams sure do beat the pants offin anythin ya buy in the store! Hoppin Juan looks mighty good to!
                    sigpic

Comment

cant wait for the finish pictures of that ham Lee!!! hoppin Juan looked real fine as well!!! keep us informed on this one!!!
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        This is my plan but am more than open for opinions on this part. Like I said I plan on a Med. Hot Smoke @ 180* until the internal hit's 145*. Then Just let cool, wrap and chill until Easter ( 5 -6 Days ). I then am planning on putting in the kitchen oven at 325* until internal of 160*. What do you all think about this plan?
                        Sounds like it's gonna be great Lee!
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I like the Hoppin Juan....lol It does need some peppers tho if your going to call it Juan.. ;)
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thats looks good Lee. Seen that hoppin juan before and yours looks like one I have to try!

sigpic
                            Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                            ECB
                            GOSM
                            MES for sticks and sausage
                            30 yr old Weber Kettle
                            Brinkman gasser

Comment

Your right on the peppers. I kind of just through it together at lunch time. I did put a big pinch of ground up cayenne and a good dose of Tony's Creole seasoning in there. I will have to keep a mental note on that because I have some jap's frozen which would of fit nicely in the pot.

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              I like the Hoppin Juan....lol It does need some peppers tho if your going to call it Juan.. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X