food day ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food day ideas?

well, i have been informed that i will be cooking another meal for "food day" next week at work. originally, they wanted me to do a brisket... ain't happening. i am still recouping form the last one. lol.

I am thinking about another batch of PP, but i dunno... it seems like it might be getting old/boring. everyone says they still love it, but it'd be nice to try something different. any ideas? i was thinking of still doing something with a shoulder/picnic cut, but PP is all i can think of. maybe a chuck roast? whatever i do, i'll be cooking it this saturday and either freezing it or just keeping it in the fridge until friday. it also has to be a "main course"... the sides and dessert(s) are already taken care of.

ideas? comments?

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

How about some fatties....some breakfast ones maybe a couple of hot ones and some italian ones.....
    Jerod
    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
    sigpic

Comment

I'm with Jerod. Fatties. Most folks that have never had them say WTF is this? And how did I live without them before?...or maybe smoked sausages?..... Johnsonville Brats are fantastic smoked.
      sigpic

Comment

2 things though...

1.) I SUCK at making fatties... they are either WAY too greasy, or they fall apart.

2.) would a fattie or the brats last a week in the fridge?
        Current babies:
        Former Lineup:
        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

see bold print
          Originally posted by aczeller View Post
          2 things though...

1.) I SUCK at making fatties... they are either WAY too greasy, or they fall apart. change the sausage you are using or let them rest in the fridge longer would be my guess for your problems

2.) would a fattie or the brats last a week in the fridge?If you froze them, but remember you only need to smoke these for 2.5 hours instead of all day
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Johnsonville Brats are fantastic smoked.
            True Dat Scott...love smoked Johnsonville Brats...some sweet apple or cherry smoke, and those things flat out rock!

How about using smoked meat in a different dish...maybe some pulled pork enchiladas or some Smoked Chuckie Tacos or burritos? Set up a taco bar with smoked meat as the main part. Easy to have other people bring accompaniments...tell one person to bring shredded cheese, one person is assigned some onions, another gets the salsa and chips for another. Those things come together nicely and everyone enjoys.
            Smoked chicken legs or thighs are always a hit too.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Fatties are a great idea. I'm with Jerod...maybe you need to leave in the fridge / freezer a bit before you roll them.

Meatballs or Moink balls would be good. Everybody loves those! Or you could smoke some birds for pulled chicken. Pork loin also would be great!
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Man I like the way you both think......both made me hungry again....gonna have to go throw the dog on the grill I guess, nothin else is thawed out
                Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                True Dat Scott...love smoked Johnsonville Brats...some sweet apple or cherry smoke, and those things flat out rock!

How about using smoked meat in a different dish...maybe some pulled pork enchiladas or some Smoked Chuckie Tacos or burritos? Set up a taco bar with smoked meat as the main part. Easy to have other people bring accompaniments...tell one person to bring shredded cheese, one person is assigned some onions, another gets the salsa and chips for another. Those things come together nicely and everyone enjoys.
                Smoked chicken legs or thighs are always a hit too.
                Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                Fatties are a great idea. I'm with Jerod...maybe you need to leave in the fridge / freezer a bit before you roll them.

Meatballs or Moink balls would be good. Everybody loves those! Or you could smoke some birds for pulled chicken. Pork loin also would be great!
                Jerod
                GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                sigpic

Comment

I vote Brats. They're relatively inexpensive, and easy to do. Because let's face it you're still at work, and could get called away for some project. Fatties would work as well for the same reasons.

Comment

Some Tacos al pastor with the butt would kill.
                    Did some last week. Made the pico de gallo with diced fresh pineapple instead of tomato/onion,cilantro,japs. Then get the mexican "Cotija" cheese for the topper. It is pretty salty and rocks with the sweetness from the pineapple.
                    "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

chopped brisket,pintos & beer(after clock-out of course).
                      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                      cast iron Hibachi
                      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                      & rotisserator
                      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                      my music recordings-
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Make them all, send to me for a taste test, then I'll tell ya which one to go with

GOSM
                        K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                        Digital Thermometers
                        Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                        140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Originally posted by northern greenhorn View Post
                          Make them all, send to me for a taste test, then I'll tell ya which one to go with
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                            everyone says they still love it, but it'd be nice to try something different. any ideas? i was thinking of still doing something with a shoulder/picnic cut, but PP is all i can think of.
                            If ya still wanna go with a picnic/butt how about some puerco pibil?

Fan friggin tastic tasting dish.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ghlight=puerco
                            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

well, after some talking with the "VIP Club", we have decided on the taco bar idea. I know i'm doing some chicken (my personal favorite), but i'm not sure if i want to do a chuck roast (never done one before), or a PP batch. what are your guys' thoughts? what about some recipes? I typically just make my fajitas and tacos with a pound or so of left over PP meat or brisket, steak, etc., then add a packet of taco seasoning. it gets the job done, but i want to try something different.

Later,
                              Andy
                              Current babies:
                              Former Lineup:

Comment

Working...
                              X