Bread crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread crust

Got a bread question that I need help with. My wife has a bread machine and sometimes she likes to use it rather than doing it all by hand or in the mixer. But when she uses the bread machine the crust is really hard when its done. Is this something that is systemic to bread machines or does she not have the right recipe or wrong ingredients?
    sigpic

Good question. We, actually my wife, uses a bread machine and we never have a hard crust but I guess it's a relative/subjective word.

Our crust is firm (usually sour dough) and I like it very much. It's not nearly as soft as a loaf of bread from the store but that's fine with me as I like a sturdy crust, like a bark on a butt or brisket.

So, in comparion to store bought bread, yes, it's a tough crust. Taken on it's own, it's just right as I'm a crust lover.

How's that for clouding the issue , sorry
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

from everything i have done/read, you need to spray the oven and the crust with a fine mist of water, to get a very crusty bread........is she also BAKING the bread in the machine? I only use the bread machine to mix the dough.....i don'nt bake in it........as i don't like the hole in the middle you get from baking in the machine..........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Yup she just lets the lump of dough cook in there too. I thought I was the only one annoyed by the crazy hole. I tell her to spray it all.

Abel, you clouded well.
        sigpic

Comment

next time, i would maybe take the dough outta the machine, form it up as a free loaf, or even put in a bread pan, bake, and see if THAT solves the problem

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
            Abel, you clouded well.
            Thanks, just a little more though. We don't get a hole in the middle of our bread that comes out of the machine. It's a regular, intact loaf.
            Pete
            Large BGE
            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

you could also when done take it out and rub some butter on it or try adding an egg in the recipe, although you may nee to adjust the flour. Lecithin is a good dough conditioner. Years ago I had one of those contraptions, and like most just used it as a mixer.
              Last edited by SmokinLee; 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X