Homemade Hamburger Buns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Hamburger Buns

I was very busy today. I had a smoker full, made hamburger buns, cinnamon rolls, 2 loaves of bread, and grilled burgers. Pictures are at the end.
    Ingredients:

1 envelope active dry yeast or 1 ½ tsp instant dry yeast
    1 ¼ Cups room temperature water
    2 tsp sugar
    3 ½ Cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 ¼ tsp salt
    Olive oil

Method

Put water in mixing bowl. Stir in sugar and salt. Add 2 Cups of the flour. Sprinkle yeast on top of flour. Stir until you see strands of gluten forming. Add ½ cup flour and keep stirring. It should get too hard to stir by hand. If not, add another ½ cup of flour. When the dough is too hard to stir, pour out onto floured dry surface and start kneading. Add flour by the tbs full until it’s nice and smooth and springy. The dough should be sticky enough to stick to itself and not your work surface. If it’s too sticky, add more flour. Press a fingertip into the dough slightly and pull back. If it springs back quickly, it’s ready, if not, knead some more.
    Place in a large bowl, coated with olive oil. Flip once making sure the dough is coated with oil. Now cover and let rise to double its original size.
    Once the dough has doubled, pour out onto your work surface and knead a couple of times.
    Now roll the dough out evenly to about 3/4 inch and cut out rounds about 3 ½ inches in diameter, place on cookie sheet coated lightly with olive oil. Allow some room between each one for expansion. Let rise until double again. Should take about half as long as the first rise. Place in 400° preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Turn cookie sheet once and bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
    Let cool and slice.

Sorry I didn't get more pics. I planned on taking them from start to finish, but we make so much of this stuff, it just slips our minds sometimes.
    Here they are after cutting and rising the second time. Sometimes they are nice and round like store bought, sometimes they aren't. One thing's for sure though. They taste a lot better. Once you make them, you'll never buy them again.

This is right out of the oven.

And here is one dressed up with one my super lean longhorn/angus burgers. My wife made mashed potato salad, and coleslaw.

A little closer view.

Tom

Tom, those are the ticket. Putting that one in the bread file, thanks for the recipe. Great job on the close up too! You must be exhausted from todays work, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away
    20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
    36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
    22" webber
    several burners
    pool/spa (of course)
    sigpic

Comment

looks good tom .Ive yet to make bread .will have to try sometime
      2-22.5'' weber
      1-18'' weber
      1 smokey joe
      22.5'' wsm
      24'' smoke vault
      1-outhouse
      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Looks good gunny. All last summer I kept telling myself to make some more of them hamburger buns but just never did. You just cant beat them. I suppose the next rainy day I should make a triple batch and freeze them. I did manage to make some homeade onion rolls for St. Patty's Day to go along corned beef sandwiches.

Comment

looks great! I have to save that recipe, I can't wait to try them

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Looks awesome, this is a definate copy and paste
            Brian
            http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
            You can follow me on twitter at
            http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
            38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
            wally world kettle grill

Comment

WHAT.................THEY ARE NOT SOURDOUGH ! ! ! !!

shame SHAME.........lolol

looking great gunner.........looking great

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Hey Gunny congrats, looks like the All-American meal. I copied and saved that recipe, gonna have to get my wife on them. Those Longhorn/Angus burgers must have been great. The combo of breeds should have lead to lean meat, not greasy at all and naturally juicy at the same time. Hope it came from a reputable and respectable breeder.

So for a great looking meal and worked so hard with the buns I give it;
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                  Hope it came from a reputable and respectable breeder.
                  Well, I do consider myself reputable. I am the breeder. My brother and I co-own the registered Angus bull, and he lives here. The longhorns are mine, and my brother raises Herefords.

Tom

Comment

... ... ... Been waiting for this one. Thanks Gunny

Comment

Gunny, it is a wonderful thing when you know that the beef is to be trusted. Since we started raising our own, we wouldn't have it any other way and I am sure the same goes for you. Never tried Longhorns, they say they are much more docile than the angus breeds. That would sure make my wife happy. She is still intimidated by them after they reach about 400 pounds, which don't take too long. But we have already got buyers for all of our Angus. We are closing them out and going with Galloways this fall. We are holding on to the three Hereford Bulls and 7 of our Hereford heifers. I think the meat that the cross breeding produces will be fantastic. I'll let ya know when that time comes.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's got to be sweet - even your own beef :-)
                        Great looking burgers.

Oddly enough that recipe is exactly the same one as the basic white bread recipe that came with my bread maker.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                          Gunny, it is a wonderful thing when you know that the beef is to be trusted. Since we started raising our own, we wouldn't have it any other way and I am sure the same goes for you. Never tried Longhorns, they say they are much more docile than the angus breeds. That would sure make my wife happy. She is still intimidated by them after they reach about 400 pounds, which don't take too long. But we have already got buyers for all of our Angus. We are closing them out and going with Galloways this fall. We are holding on to the three Hereford Bulls and 7 of our Hereford heifers. I think the meat that the cross breeding produces will be fantastic. I'll let ya know when that time comes.
                          One of the Amish families down the road from me raises banded Galloway's. He says their feed conversion is great. I don't know. Another guy I know raises them Irish Dexter's you mentioned before. He also says they're cheap to raise.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          That's got to be sweet - even your own beef :-)
                          Great looking burgers.

Oddly enough that recipe is exactly the same one as the basic white bread recipe that came with my bread maker.
                          I got that recipe from a website years ago. I liked it, so it's what I use for all of our white bread making. I've adjusted it a bit to make donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc. It's amazing what a little research and experimentation will produce if you like to eat good.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X