pellet smoker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pellet smoker question

I am wanting to go to a pellet smoker but not wanting to break the bank. Has anyone had good luck with their pellet stove? Any info would be helpful even if you don't think a pellet smoker is the way to go I would like to hear from you too.

Thanks for your help
    Dave
    sigpic
    Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
    Great Out doors grill
    Brinkman verticle
    And one great UDS
    Crooked Creek Viszlas

Something tells me you will get an ear full from Wingman and his love of Yoder smokers..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I do NOT own one, but several relatives do. Here is my take. They are very easy to use. Stay away from Traegers unless you get one used that was made in USA(that would have to be used as they are made in China now). My relatives have one made in Oregon the other made in China....BIG F'n DIFFERENCE in quality. The one made in USA is much better.
      I have heard great things about Yoder(s)(made in Kansas). Wingman on this forum uses one. I have liked what I have seen of the MAK(s) made in Oregon at some demos.
      http://www.makgrills.com/
      http://www.yoderkansas.com/yoder_smokers.htm

About breaking the bank...All pellet smokers of a decent size I have seen are 900 bucks +.
      Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

I love my Green mountain grill pellet smoker. There are a wide range of pellet cookers out there and a wide range of price points as well. The American made grills mentioned are great choices. Do some research and see what fits your needs and budget. I hope it isn’t against the rules to link to another forum? But this one is specifically for pellet grills, has reviews of a lot of different models and some great information if you are looking in this direction. http://pelletheads.com
        If this isn’t allowed please slap my hand and send me to the corner.
        If you have any questions about the Green Mountain Grill feel free to contact me.
        I have had a traiger in the past also. There has definitely been advances in pellet grill technology and unfortunately traiger hasn’t kept up.

Comment

Originally posted by pbsmokin View Post
          I love my Green mountain grill pellet smoker. There are a wide range of pellet cookers out there and a wide range of price points as well. The American made grills mentioned are great choices. Do some research and see what fits your needs and budget. I hope it isn’t against the rules to link to another forum? But this one is specifically for pellet grills, has reviews of a lot of different models and some great information if you are looking in this direction. http://pelletheads.com
          If this isn’t allowed please slap my hand and send me to the corner.
          If you have any questions about the Green Mountain Grill feel free to contact me.
          I have had a traiger in the past also. There has definitely been advances in pellet grill technology and unfortunately traiger hasn’t kept up.

Nope, it is not against the rules here... Can Pelletheads say the same on there forum???

No corner time for you sir... Get back to helping and smoking some great grub...
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
            Nope, it is not against the rules here... Can Pelletheads say the same on there forum???

No corner time for you sir... Get back to helping and smoking some great grub...
            No they cant...always thought that was kinda funny the way some forums frown on that. Never quite understood like it was some kinda compatition or somthing.

Glad i dont havta spend time in the corner...always got in trouble there LOL

Comment

I took a quick look, looks like a great reference for pellet poopers. (cheaters :))
              So my question - can you use a pellet pooper in comp? I know FBA says it has to be charcoal or wood fired cooking - no gas or electric. Not sure of KCBS rules but prolly pretty close. Anyone? Sorry for the derail, well it is to subject.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                I took a quick look, looks like a great reference for pellet poopers. (cheaters :))
                So my question - can you use a pellet pooper in comp? I know FBA says it has to be charcoal or wood fired cooking - no gas or electric. Not sure of KCBS rules but prolly pretty close. Anyone? Sorry for the derail, well it is to subject.
                Yes some times it does feel like cheating, I can set temps from 150-500 in 5 degree increments. There is a remote that monitors grill and meat temps and you can adjust temps with the remote. Takes about 15-20 minutes to get to temp and stabilized. Really makes it an every day cooker.
                As far as comps go I know there are allot of peeps using them. I have never been involved in comps so cant give specifics. They do have a comp section on the pelletheads site. And they are wood fired smokers?

Comment

Yes some times it does feel like cheating, I can set temps from 150-500 in 5 degree increments. There is a remote that monitors grill and meat temps and you can adjust temps with the remote. Takes about 15-20 minutes to get to temp and stabilized. Really makes it an every day cooker.
                  As far as comps go I know there are allot of peeps using them. I have never been involved in comps so cant give specifics. They do have a comp section on the pelletheads site. And they are wood fired smokers?
                  FBA may be different but all external power or gas must be disconnected from the cooker, before food can be placed in the cooker. I have seen a Treager used for chicken, but it was not legal as I understand the rules.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

I have a Traeger here it is

I bought it from a guy who used it one time and I payed $500 for it. I got a deal for sure. I have tried all the different flavored pellets and can't tell one from the other. I consider it an outdoor oven to be honest. It ain't smokin' meat by a long shot, but it comes in handy when I want to cook chicken in a hurry. I have to be honest and say that I would have been really pissed if I had to pay full price for it. Botton line for me is it just ain't the same thing as real wood smoking. With that said I'm glad I have it, it has its purpose. I can't imagine competing with it though. No real smoke flavor IMHO. The only mod I make is I place two aluminum pans with water in the belly to add some moisture. If you can find a used one I would recommend it.

Comment

They are electric powered and heated, wood flavored smokers. The cooking heat is not from the wood or burning of the wood, it is from an electric burner. They are not wood fired or powered smokers. In FBA the cooking must be charcoal or wood fired. Not sure of KCBS.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        They are electric powered and heated, wood flavored smokers. The cooking heat is not from the wood or burning of the wood, it is from an electric burner. They are not wood fired or powered smokers. In FBA the cooking must be charcoal or wood fired. Not sure of KCBS.
                        You may want to check out some units online. There is no electric burner in any pellet cooker. They are wood fired. Pellets feed into a burn chamber and are ignited with a heat rod. Then the fire is maintained with air movement from a fan and fed pellets with an auger.

It is true you do not get the same smoke flavor as a stick burner. It is more subtle.
                        Having said that I get plenty of smoke flavor on my cooks. Always get good smoke rings on my long smokes. I agree with Squirrel’s comment about not much flavor difference in the different pellets. The only one I really notice a difference with is mesquite. Most pellets are combined woods. Usually a base wood such as oak and the particular flavored wood such as apple or cherry. Not much difference in my opinion.

Comment

was just looking at results from the resent USA competition at the Orleans Hotel, I hear this was the biggest money event ever and most of the big name teams participated.
                          Top 20 listed out of over 100 teams…. I know at least two of these teams are running pellet smokers….they do compete well.
                          Overall:
                          1 Munchin Hogs@the Hilton
                          2 Brazen BBQ
                          3 Hog Tide Bar-B-Que
                          4 Wildcatters Q Crew
                          5 Rhythm'n Que
                          6 TheSlabs.com
                          7 McFrankenboo BBQ
                          8 Big Papa's CountryKitche
                          9 Big Poppa Smokers
                          10 ROUTE 66 CATERING CREW
                          11 cancersuckschicago.com
                          12 Pellet Envy
                          13 BBQ Junkie
                          14 TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
                          15 IAB 30 BBQ
                          16 Jack's Old South
                          17 TheSmokeRing.com
                          18 Andrew's Rib Shack
                          19 Whiskey Bent BBQ
                          20 QN4U

Comment

Ok, here is my short 2 cents. I have cooked on the Traeger Texas for quite some time. Cooked on The Louisiana Whole Hog WH-1320. Both left my property and I have been cooking on a Yoder YS640. Much more consitent and accurate with temps. I produce much better products. It's competition grade and has better warranty and better build quality. It retains heat far better.
                            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                            Yoder Wichita
                            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

I was going to look at the Traeger because I new someone (thru a friend) who sells them but now I think I will shop around. Don't know if I can afford a Yoder but I will check them out also. Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. The comp thing would be a factor, don't know if I am going to go down that road but I might.
                              sigpic
                              Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
                              Great Out doors grill
                              Brinkman verticle
                              And one great UDS
                              Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Working...
                              X