Proper oil and lard storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper oil and lard storage?

Ive wondered this question for a long time and finally figured I would ask the pros
    Ok how long will frying oil say in a deep fryer before it goes rancid if it does and how about lard? I want to start using lard in the deep fryer but It seems that with it hardening back up it might be bad news?

I have never had an issue with oil,my deep fryer is in my 100 degree garage and that seems bad as well but normally I use the same oil for at least a month (depending on how much or what I cook in it) and I decide to get rid of it when it wont heat up or leaves a funky taste on the food.

It seems worse to me to leave lard in a hot environment with small food particles in it? Im sure the food police will be on me now lol

I remember working in fast food as a kid and they used lard but the fryer had a filter deal so I think we cleaned it every night if I remember right.

Comment

Keep it cool as possible, away from odors, and strain as many of the chunks out of it as you can. You can store it in your frydaddy, just make sure you keep it covered, and follow the other steps.
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
        Keep it cool as possible, away from odors, and strain as many of the chunks out of it as you can. You can store it in your frydaddy, just make sure you keep it covered, and follow the other steps.
        You said FryDaddy! Takin me way back with that. I'm givin just for that!

Dave

Comment

Its a basket deal a nice one and the lid is not air tight. So being in a hot garage or on the counter top inside the house is gonna make a difference? oh and I dont clean the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
            Its a basket deal a nice one and the lid is not air tight. So being in a hot garage or on the counter top inside the house is gonna make a difference? oh and I dont clean the oil.
            That will kill your oil, pretty quick. If you use it alot, the investment in a small nylon or cone filter will probably pay for itself pretty quick, and you can store the fat in a coffee can or other vessel with an airtight lid.

Comment

what IC said...........
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

That will kill your oil, pretty quick. If you use it alot, the investment in a small nylon or cone filter will probably pay for itself pretty quick, and you can store the fat in a coffee can or other vessel with an airtight lid.
                When you say kill the oil, I assume you mean the oil just wont last long not that its full of bacteria and dangerous. My question is about safety not how to keep oil the longest really. Make sense? So filtering it will make it last longer but not make it less likely to make one sick correct?

Comment

This is my fryer and ill be damned if im gonna empty the oil out after each cook and store it lol

Comment

When you say kill the oil, I assume you mean the oil just wont last long not that its full of bacteria and dangerous. My question is about safety not how to keep oil the longest really. Make sense? So filtering it will make it last longer but not make it less likely to make one sick correct?
                    Bacteria isn't much of a concern in frying oil, as the heat at frying temps will kill any bacteria, and denature most toxins produced by them. Its more of a quality issue. Old or rancid oil, is not going to produce a quality product. Oil that is only used for non meat applications, tends to last a bit longer. Once you start frying meat, or use lard, you gotta stay on it, or its gonna start tasting bad. Keep it clean, cool and filtered, and you will get more out of it, and a better quality product.

Comment

Bacteria isn't much of a concern in frying oil, as the heat at frying temps will kill any bacteria, and denature most toxins produced by them. Its more of a quality issue. Old or rancid oil, is not going to produce a quality product. Oil that is only used for non meat applications, tends to last a bit longer. Once you start frying meat, or use lard, you gotta stay on it, or its gonna start tasting bad. Keep it clean, cool and filtered, and you will get more out of it, and a better quality product.
                      Ok thanks I usually just do fries and stuff like that not meat, but I will get a filter and strain it at least once lol.

Comment

Hmmm...interesting Q that. I don't know what to say... considering it WOULD be a good environment for botulisim... well, unless you consider everything in there was at 350° or so before it was stored. And then it gets back to that before use...

I'd have to think it's prolly just gonna taste like crap...or grow mold... before it actually could harm you?

Here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

just a question on the fact that you WANT to use lard - petty much just mainlining cholesterol.

All the fish and chip shops in the uk (and we're talking hundreds of thousands) all use a modified vegetable oil now. You might want to look at that. drains better, zero cholesterol and probably keeps better.
                          It'll mean you're around that bit longer to enjoy eating food and not dead and buried from a heat attack.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            just a question on the fact that you WANT to use lard - petty much just mainlining cholesterol.

All the fish and chip shops in the uk (and we're talking hundreds of thousands) all use a modified vegetable oil now. You might want to look at that. drains better, zero cholesterol and probably keeps better.
                            It'll mean you're around that bit longer to enjoy eating food and not dead and buried from a heat attack.
                            Apparently you missed the "lard is making a comeback" thread?
                            I just want to try it because I heard that it makes better fries than at fast food places. Done in moderation I think it will be ok.

Comment

Hydragenated Lard

Lard if home rendered or by a butcher will keep for long periods of time if stored in sealed jars and frozen. The lard blocks sold in many grocery stores is a hard solid at room temp and wrapped in wax paper for shelf storage. This form is not good to use in my opinion. It is hydragenated and is a major producer of clogged arteries and colesterol accumulation.
                              Carl Mueller
                              A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.
                              Ch-47 Pilot call sign Pachyderm 26
                              100% VA Disabled

Comment

Working...
                              X