Dutch's Wicked Pit Beans with a Twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch's Wicked Pit Beans with a Twist

This is mostly Dutch's pit bean recipe. But I add quartered apples, drained crushed pineapple, fresh garlic, chunked pork butt bark, pulled pork. And they are smoked for about 5 hours under the pork butt.

This is for the church dinner tomorrow night.

Tom

Serve and RUN! Mmm I love my beans, but no one loves me after! LOL!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey Gunny, gota recipe close to dutchs wicked bb...i lost my recipe in the crash.
      sigpic

Comment

Apples? Gotta try that next time! Thanks Tom.

sigpic
        Brinkman SnP-w/mods
        ECB
        GOSM
        MES for sticks and sausage
        30 yr old Weber Kettle
        Brinkman gasser

Comment

Originally posted by Okie joe View Post
          Hey Gunny, gota recipe close to dutchs wicked bb...i lost my recipe in the crash.
          Try here Joe...
          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Excellent looking beans. I never met a bean I didn't like.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Originally posted by Okie joe View Post
              Yep, that's the one. The only thing I wish would be different about that recipe is the title. I know it as "Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans." And I think it should be kept that way.
              Anyway the only thing I do different is add a couple of quartered or wedged, pealed apples, 2 cloves garlic, crushed pineapple instead of chunks. And I will also put some of the pork butt drippings in them. I usually cook the beans under the pork butt, so additional drippings is not necessary.

Here is another recipe that is fantastic. Try these too.
              http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...4/m/5670069613

Tom

Comment

Update on these beans. They sucked!!!
                They spent way to long in the smoker. Thing is, I tasted them right after they came off the smoker and all was well. They spent the night in the fridge and the next evening they tasted like smoke. I've never had this problem before. It's a good thing about 10 more church members brought beans also, and mine were at the end of the line. Very few if anybody, got a chance to taste them. And I just knew they were good, so I ate them.
                Anybody have any ideas why spending the night in the fridge may have made a difference?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Anybody have any ideas why spending the night in the fridge may have made a difference?
                  only thing I can think of is that it seems the smoke flavor always comes out stronger the next day. Maybe 5 hrs was just to much.
                  on a side note, it is pretty hard for things to get too much smokey flavor for me, send em on over.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedQ View Post
                    only thing I can think of is that it seems the smoke flavor always comes out stronger the next day. Maybe 5 hrs was just to much.
                    on a side note, it is pretty hard for things to get too much smokey flavor for me, send em on over.
                    That's what I was thinking. But I really don't know as I've never had this problem before. I did nothing different.

Tom

Comment

Dang 'slinger- that bites. When I do the WBB, they're in the smoker for about 3 hrs.
                      Dutch

Brinkmann Gourmet H2O charcoal
                      GOSM Big Block Propane w/sfb
                      Ugly Drum Smoker-electric
                      Lang Mobile 60 Deluxe

Comment

i would think they would act, just like smoked cheese does..........the longer they sit, the more smokey they get. But like Kevin said, hard to be TOO smokey for me..............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I just made a batch using ditches recipe sorta, They are a little sweet for me so I used dry, soaked and cooked down great northerns instead of the presweetned ones. I used apple instead of pineapple and added a tsp. Cinamon and a TbLS. Molasses. They were great. Yours look great too.

Comment

I don't like runny beans. Like 'em thicker, so I leave them in for 4 or 5 hours too. Great smokey flavor and thicken up nicely.
                            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Settin overnight may be it, bet it might be the barq too. It has a ton of smoke in it. Left to sit in something like beans, rice, soup, etc it will impart a lot of smoke flavor just by itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X