Any Last Minute WSM Comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Last Minute WSM Comments?

Took afternoon off & gonna smoke a brisket in the newly captured WSM..... First run & did some reading on TVWB, but figured I would take from them ideas & the stuff I have read here.... So, got a full funnel lit of Kingsford, cause that was all HD had, decided to try the water in the pan this time & it is covered with foil..... When charcoal going good, gonna pour into ring & add about another funnel on top & let it get going then put brisket on.... Sound right? ..... I'm starting with all lower level vents closet & top fully open.... Sound right? ..... Aiming for about 250*, figured 20+ or 20- I still be ok..... Sound right? ..... Anything else besides adding wood when the brisket goes on?

Thanks guys.... Appreciate it in advance

I will be checking back frequently, so if you think of something, post er up.
    sigpic

Watch for ash choke....
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Watch for ash choke....
      is ash choke common for long brisket cooks rich?
      Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Get after it! Can't wait to see a vid. I'll just smoke with ya.

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
          is ash choke common for long brisket cooks rich?
          Common for the "Blue Bag" and 2 chimenys... he's using the stock coal pan I assume...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post

Get after it! Can't wait to see a vid. I'll just smoke with ya.
            nice, i see it is 4:20 EST.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Common for the "Blue Bag" and 2 chimenys... ...
              lol, thats what I was thinking, that blue bag does produce a ton of ash.

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                nice, i see it is 4:20 EST.
                Yep..right onna dot that was...

Kinda gave that up. Cept for medicinal uses of course.

Comment

Yes stock coal pan..... I will watch for that ash choke..... and ass choke as well.....
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes HAVE FUN!!!!!

Comment

Slide me a Natty... Bad hot out...Get after it!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I usually start with unlit on the bottom, make a divot in the center (or use a coffee can with both ends cut out, and pour unlits around it), then add a handful of lit (10 or so briquets at most) in the center (remove the coffee can at this point). Gives ya a nice long burn, and helps keep the temps at bay.

Vents... I open the top all the way, and to get it started, open the bottom vents all the way. When the temp gets just over 200, I start shutting down the bottom vents to a just a sliver open. Depending on outside weather conditions, they may get closed all the way during the cook.

A bit late with this, butt just how I do it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                          I usually start with unlit on the bottom, make a divot in the center (or use a coffee can with both ends cut out, and pour unlits around it), then add a handful of lit (10 or so briquets at most) in the center (remove the coffee can at this point). Gives ya a nice long burn, and helps keep the temps at bay.
                          I use a very similar method. Long, steady burn for sure.

THe vents, I leave the top open all the time. THe bottom are open after I get the charcoal going & assemble the WSM until the temps hit 250 or so, then I close them all down and crack them as needed later in the cook.

Comment

Thanks you fine gentleman...... I am thinking that experience & more reading is what I need on these.... Started out 207*, then steady dive to 181* with top open and bottoms closed..... Cracked bottoms about 1/2 and she climbing steady now. There is no substitute for experience & learning on the go, that's why I kinda wanted to jump in & start messing around..... Shooting for 250*, sound about right? ..... Got started about 1:45 West Coast time, so not sure what I'll be doing early tomorrow (to the morrow) morning.... or
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              Thanks you fine gentleman...... I am thinking that experience & more reading is what I need on these.... Started out 207*, then steady dive to 181* with top open and bottoms closed..... Cracked bottoms about 1/2 and she climbing steady now. There is no substitute for experience & learning on the go, that's why I kinda wanted to jump in & start messing around..... Shooting for 250*, sound about right? ..... Got started about 1:45 West Coast time, so not sure what I'll be doing early tomorrow (to the morrow) morning.... or
                              how are you getting your temp readings?

Comment

Working...
                              X