No announcement yet.

Anyone ever pickle their own jalapenos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever pickle their own jalapenos?

I was just thinking it sounds like a good idea to slice them and make like the ones you get at the store in the jars.
    Anyone do this? I will try it I think.

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
    I was just thinking it sounds like a good idea to slice them and make like the ones you get at the store in the jars.
    Anyone do this? I will try it I think.
    Been thinking about the same thing Gary.... I have about 25 plants..... Now if the FN things would just grow....... I want to try & dehydrate some also, then make powder.... Also try freezing some, for ABT's..... I'm watching this thread.... Oh, and having some Natty's....Oh, and the Blueberry infused Vodka
    sigpic

Comment

never cared for the pickled ones.......i have always loved them fresh.
      scott, not sure they will work out for abt's but i always dry my serranos (split) in my smoker and i use those for my chipotle powder.
      sigpic
      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I love em fresh also... I have a lot to learn In this garden and pepper area.
        sigpic

Comment

I have pickled some and they were ok.

But i prefer to roast and puree them. The roasted flavor rocks. The puree freezes well and you can use it in a ton of things. Salsa soup chilli cheeseburgers meatloaf eggs etc...

I built a roaster cage for my grill rotisserie. Will do a chile roast and post soon.

sorry
          "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippy View Post
            But i prefer to roast and puree them.
            i have also done a chipotle puree and filled icecube trays, works great....thx for reminding me.
            sigpic
            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
              i have also done a chipotle puree and filled icecube trays, works great....thx for reminding me.
              Thats funny you mention that. I am kinda the bad guy around here today. Cause i took the babys pureed fruit ice cube tray with the sealable lid. Froze some roasted jap puree in it yesterday.
              "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Great stuff Monte and Rob!!! All kinds of good info!... Roasting cage sounds cool Monte, I got a Rotisserie unit that I need to hook up on me kettle... Looking forward to it.
                sigpic

Comment

found this contributed by RichTee in a post a Gunnys...

Here's the old Hunky lady's recipe that everyone in the family used. Simple, yet tasty. You can taste the peppers.

EVA GROTE’S HOT PEPPER RECIPE

_ BUSHEL HOT PEPPERS ( HUNGARIAN HOTS) WASH AND CUT

PUT INTO EACH QUART JAR (STERILIZE JARS BEFORE USING)

2 CLOVE GARLIC (IF GARLIC IS SMALL USE 3)
                  1 HEAD DILL (USE GREEN NOT DRIED)or 1/2 TSP DILL SEED
                  2 TBLS COOKING OIL
                  PACK JARS WITH PEPPERS

BRINE
                  6 QUARTS WATER
                  3-QUARTS WHITE VINEGAR
                  3-CUPS SUGAR
                  1.5 -CUPS CANNING SALT (DO NOT USE IODIZED SALT)

STIR TO DISOLVE SALT AND SUGARBOIL FOR 5 MINUTES LET COOL FOR 3 TO 5 MINUTES POUR OVER PEPPERS CHECK HEAD SPACE ADD MORE BRINE IF NESSARY NORMAL HEAD SPACE IS ABOUT .5 INCH SEAL JARS WITH STERLIZED LIDS LET COOL OVER NITE CHECK LIDS TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE SEALED STORE IN DARK COOL PLACE FOR 8 WEEKS BEFORE EATING

MAKES 8 TO 10 QUARTS DEPENDING HOW YOU SLICE THE PEPPERS

and these were so kindly submitted by Tom a while back... included the link to the relish thread, not pickled but may be of interest...

mrs gunslingers bread and butter pickles
                  http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9342

mrs gunnies jalepeno pickle relish
                  http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9343
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I searched the forums for "pickled sausages" awhile back and most of em included peppers. Did a batch of pickled seranos, carrots, green onion and grilled sausages. Hard to beat that combo. Wonder how a pickled ABT would be? hmmm
                    JT

Comment

Here's the search results if your interested;

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sea...d=630902&pp=25
                      JT

Comment

I've done some to give away as gifts. I usually mix all the different peppers from the garden (jalapeno, cayenne, banana) and use apple cider vinegar with fresh dill, pepper corns, a bay leaf and garlic. From what folks tell me it's the vinegar they love more than the peppers, say it's hot and garlicy on beans, collards whatever. Also after the vinegar gets about halfway gone you can add some more to it and let it sit in the fridge a few days and it's like new.

Comment

I pickle them "bread and butter" all the time. Turn out real good.
                          Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Have pickled them many times and just dont anymore...

I just used a dill pickle recipe minus the dill...Never was very happy with the results...Dont use to many pickled peppers anyway...prefer the flavor without the vinegar...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

some good ideas here, I like them fresh too just with the two small plants I have they are making more than I can use like normal so just thinking of how to use them up in different ways, my daughter made and gave me a self watering herb garden yesterday for an early fathers day present, its very cool how it works and know ill have some fresh herbs to cook with, got some sweet basil, oregano, thyme, and cilantro mmm, and a tomato, one habenero, two jalapenos and the cayenne.
                              This self watering container is very cool for anyone doing a patio garden kind of deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X