Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diffrent charcoals?

Hi guys
    Im new to the whole charcoal smoker thing and I was just wondering about diffrent brands of charcoal.my experiance is limited to royal oak briquettes and lump. Is there a diffrent brand with a less intense taste.
    is there such a thing? I think im like Hank Hill I want to taste more of the meat and less of the heat.what about another method wood,propane????

I almost only use Royal Oak lump. I have always been happy with the flavor. Here is a link to a site that does a pretty comprehensive review of all kinds of lump charcoal.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
    Last edited by wutang; 06-17-2011, 11:56 PM.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Hey Rocam. The majority agree that Royal Oak lump is THE WAY to go. In my opinion it is what helps to give good bbq that true authentic flavor. If it is too much for your tastes then I guess...and I've never said this before in almost 20 years of smoking meats, maybe you should switch to a propane unit? Can't believe I just recommended this to someone as I am a purist and have never even used a gas burner but if you don't like it, you don't like it and I won't hate on you for it....but if we were hanging out I would give you a hard time about it! Just being friendly after several beers. I can't speak of a more mellow lump than RO but I can say that I have tried every brand available in my market and RO is simply the best one out there. The only other thing I would suggest is to make sure you are burning the coals down to practically all white before dumping them into your smoker. The coals tend to put off a more bitter smoke when they are igniting I've found.

Good luck and never stop experimenting.

Dave

Comment

I use Kingsford and Kingsford comp....All I've ever used besides a few "off brands" in a pinch..... I like it, its proven and works fine for me..... Some folks don't like it though for various reasons... I'm gonna start paying attention and look for some other brands also.
        sigpic

Comment

Random question: are you talking about when you are cooking with just charcoal? Because I also wonder what kind of wood you are using? And how much?

I just mean if the flavor is too strong..and you are using hickory, then you may want to try apple or cherry wood. Just a thought.

Originally posted by GratefulDave View Post
          Can't believe I just recommended this to someone as I am a purist and have never even used a gas burner but if you don't like it, you don't like it and I won't hate on you for it....but if we were hanging out I would give you a hard time about it!
          Shame on you for recommending a gas burner. Just kidding. Like Dave said, ultimately you gotta do what is gonna work best for you.
          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Great point Wu!!... And I suggest staying away from Mesquite until you are ready for "strong" BBQ flavor...
            sigpic

Comment

I like Kingsford blue bag Bricks for when I am smoking /BBQ'n. Maybe not everyone's choice, but I know what to expect it is affordable, and I am used to working with it. As I get my technique I might stray away and try others. When I grill especially steak I use mesquite Lump. I usually use Lazzari brand http://www.lazzari.com/ .

Over all I like using the bricks on smokes because they don't run as hot as lump, and I feel I can control my temps better. That is just me and how i cook.

Comment

I guess we all have a different twist on the charcoal issue. For me, it depends on what I'm doing and in which smoker I'm using. I use RO lump in the Brinkman to get her going, then usually just use wood. On my kettle, the blue bag works best and will burn a long time with the bottom vent almost closed. Again, depends on what you're cooking and how long you're going to go. RO lump has less ash which can be a factor if you're just using charcoal.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

My go to briquets are Stubbs Natural Hardwood Briquets, and lump is usually Royal Oak. However, I have been turned onto Humpheys lump... tough to get locally, butt that stuff is AWESOME!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The only other thing I would suggest is to make sure you are burning the coals down to practically all white before dumping them into your smoker. The coals tend to put off a more bitter smoke when they are igniting I've found.
                    ok...ok this is good this might be some of the problem how long do you let it burn in your chiminey? this is what I do I fill the chiminey and light it and let it burn till i see a faint flame come off the top. briquettes are usually a little white but not totally white.

Comment

I do one chimney of Kingsford blue (cheap and effective) to get things rolling then strictly wood from there on out for fuel.
                      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I use Royal Oak Lump and Kingsford Comp.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                        X