Thermometer usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometer usage

You SHOULD NOT insert thermo probes into your meats before the surface of the meat has attained 140°+ because of the possibility of carrying contamination into the meat. Of course, if you have injected or otherwise penetrated the whole muscle meats, it don't much matter. You willl want an IT of 140°+ within 4 hours.

But a whole muscle "virgin" hunk does not require this. Besides, why do you care about IT till the meat is at least half done? Perhaps for statistical purposes, but other than that... wait
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

ok.
    But (yeah you knew there'd be a but) if you've rubbed your meat then vinegar in the base (mustard or ketchup, if you used one) or the salt, sugar & garlic (all three good antibacterial agents) in the rub would also go a long way towards killing the surface bacteria.

Have to admit I pretty much just stick the probe in at the start - saves buggering around later - and yep I am interested in the temp the whole time.

Can't see how the amount of possible bacteria is going to be any kind of serious contamination factor
    Plus the meat's going to be cooked anyway.

I can see your point - just not sure it's relevant in any practical way.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Just dottin' i's and crossing t's Alex.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Just dottin' i's and crossing t's Alex.

Comment

Good points Rich! I would also wonder how many at home cooks sterilize/sanitize their thermo probes prior to every use.
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
            Good points Rich! I would also wonder how many at home cooks sterilize/sanitize their thermo probes prior to every use.
            I wonder how many restaurants do as well....

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
              That too.....
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I use alcohol wipes but it won't hurt to wait.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Good topic Rich! I often wonder about that when i see the thermo pen come out of someones pocket and get stabbed into a couple different cuts.

I only have one remote sensor. So i usually start with it on the grate until i get everything settled in. Then i will stab it and rely on analog guages for smoke temp..

That probly killsem ya think?
                  "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

I usually just wipe probe or Thermapen with a towel or wash and rinse in sink. Think I'm gonna start keeping a small jar with watér and bleach handy for a dunking them in then rinsing.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      I usually just wipe probe or Thermapen with a towel or wash and rinse in sink. Think I'm gonna start keeping a small jar with watér and bleach handy for a dunking them in then rinsing.
                      we use those chlorox disinfectant wipes at comps...Prolly wipe table near smoker that meat gets wrapped etc.. at least 10 times a comp....I wish they gave award for cleanliness..guarantee we be near top...

I see some sad arse hygiene at comps and well...everywhere for that matter...

Comment

That's even better Al, got a tube of them right next to me most thyme. I think I need a beer.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          That's even better Al, got a tube of them right next to me most thyme. I think I need a beer.
                          or just use the kids tongue in me avatar....

Comment

we use those chlorox disinfectant wipes
                            Same here.

Very convenient.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Ya don'ts wanna knowed...Daughter werkd @ Outback... Nasty...
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X