Venison round steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison round steaks

I have a bunch of venison round steaks but have never had muc success cooking them. They always turn out as edible protein but nothing to write home about. So we're going to experiment today. Plus, I really want to really try out the Mad Hunky rub I got.

I realize round steak is a far cry from tenderloin, but I thought I would try trimming them up and rolling them in bacon like I've seen done with tenderloins.

Trimmed and ready to be rubbed and rolled:

Rubbed:

Rubbed rolled and ready for the smoker:

I'm still trying to decide what temp to pull them out. Rare and sliced or go for around 200 deg. for an attempt at fork tender? This is totally an experiment. lol
    Last edited by Nowake; 06-26-2011, 05:06 PM.
    Char-broil silver (with mods)
    38" Smoke Hollow LP
    ECB
    Drum

I recommend 140-ish. But if that ain't tender, I guess try a foil and a crisp up?

Those are great with the loin for sure.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oh man pull them out when they are rare to medium rare for sure. You don't want to over cook venison.
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
        Oh man pull them out when they are rare to medium rare for sure. You don't want to over cook venison.
        What they said!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Oh man they snuck up on me. I got them out at 155, but preliminary samplings say it's going to be A OK.
          38" Smoke Hollow LP
          ECB
          Drum

Comment

I also decided to try something else new. Broccoli on the grill. So while the grill was hot I tossed the round steak wraps on to crispen up the bacon after they rested about 40 min.

Here they are off the grill.

Here's one plated with a baked potato and the grilled broccoli. I know it's a big fail for presentation, but I was ready to eat. lol

Over all I was pretty pleased. I would do some things different next time, but by far the best venison round steak I've ever done. I would definitely keep a closer eye on it and pull it out a little sooner, although it wasn't over done too bad. Also, if I didn't know better, I would say that Rich's Mad Hunky rub was made especially for venison. IMO it was the best meat/seasoning match I've ever had. Can't wait to try it on beef and pork, but I was very happy with the way it enhanced the venison flavor without covering it up.
            38" Smoke Hollow LP
            ECB
            Drum

Comment

guessing these "round" steaks are mixed muscle steaks... cannot take a typical venison round steak and get them to come out right. there is a solution though, break the animal down into separate muscles and i think you will have much better luck.

a typical round steak will be a combo of bottom round, top round, sirloin tip, and eye of round. the bottom round being the most tender. perhaps utilizing these cuts in a different manner is best. by no means do i suggest grinding them all up for burger or sausage, but roasts, jerky, etc. one of the finest venison roasts i have ever had is to cure and smoke the roast and thinly slice cross grain.
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Any venison is good venison

In my experience I have to agree with erain separate the different "steak" parts and use them separately. You can have medallions, butterfly the larger portion to your liking etc.

Even when I am cooking "filet's" if I am so blessed I "may" wrap them in bacon cook to the shy side of 140 and throw the bacon away. If the bacon gets crisp the veni will be way over done.

It took me years to get use to eating " medium rare" but it is IMHO the only way to go. After all anything "pink" inside has to be good......

Comment

Nice job...and some real good info in thread....

Comment

They look good & definately some good info in here..... Can you cook them at a higher temp, or a differnet method? ..... So, you would start them over the coals or heat source with the intention of getting the bacon cooked the way you like it first, and the venison would just along for the ride and hopefully not have temps above your target.... Then move off of direct heat source to get to temps you want..... Just not sure if the venison temps would get too high while you are concentrating on getting the bacon crispy .... Just thinking out loud
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      They look good & definately some good info in here..... Can you cook them at a higher temp, or a differnet method? ..... So, you would start them over the coals or heat source with the intention of getting the bacon cooked the way you like it first, and the venison would just along for the ride and hopefully not have temps above your target.... Then move off of direct heat source to get to temps you want..... Just not sure if the venison temps would get too high while you are concentrating on getting the bacon crispy .... Just thinking out loud
                      a good point... i do my veni steaks on a very hot grill, add a pat a bitter when i flip them and med rare is as far as i will take them.
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input. There's definitely something to learn from there. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to cuts of meats, but it makes perfect sense that these round steaks are actually a few different types. By the time I was done trimming them I essentially had 3 seperate pieces and just rolled them up together.

I never did leave them on the grill long enough to crispen the bacon (except for the one that caught fire) lol..........but they were already a little over done anyway.
                        38" Smoke Hollow LP
                        ECB
                        Drum

Comment

Ya could try pre-frying the bacon a bit... just before it starts to crisp then wrap. Still be plenty of fat/flavor there. Still, they look damned good :{)

The loin ones I had at the last couple BBQ comps don't last long
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                          X