Grilling on the UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilling on the UDS

So the other day I am saying to my wife that I want to put the lower rack in the UDS, set the charcoal basket on it, light a chimney full of charcoal and try hot grilling some steaks.

She says to me, "Now why would you want to do that when you have a nice gas grill?"

All the answers I immediately thought of were better left unsaid. So I thought demonstration would be in order.

Today, I asked her to pick up some steaks at the store for dinner. She brought home some nice New York Strips.

So I set up the UDS for grilling. First the lower rack which is about half way up the drum. . .

then the ash pan . . .

then the charcoal basket . . .

and the grate.

This setup gives me about 9-1/2" of clearance between the charcoal and the grate. Probably wont' get super hot but I figure I'd give it a whirl.

Started a chimney full of Kingsford Competition Briquettes.

I really like that stuff. Has a very nice smell to it. After about 20 minutes, the charcoal was ready so I poured it in the basket.

Filled the 13.5" charcoal basket grate nicely, I let the drum warm up a bit then tossed the steaks on.

Here they are after the first turn. I think it was about 10 minutes, I can't remember for sure.

And here they are after they all got to 145ish to 155ish.

Didn't get the really nice sear I was hoping for. I think the basket is a little far away from the grate for that. The Teltru topped out at about 350° so it was probably in the 425ish range under the grate. I could have let the drum get a little warmer before I put them on but they were delicious and very juicy.

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of them plated. But my wife approved and won't be asking that silly question anymore.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Originally posted by DDave View Post
    She says to me, "Now why would you want to do that when you have a nice gas grill?"....... my wife approved and won't be asking that silly question anymore.
    Ya did the right thing...Dont even try to splain it to her, just show her, things go a lot smoother, and ya dont even have to sleep on the couch for a smart comment that ya made
    Brian
    http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
    You can follow me on twitter at
    http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
    38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
    wally world kettle grill

Comment

good thread - gives me a better idea of the what the insides of a uds looks like :-)

Plus versatility.
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice looking steaks. Now you got me thinking UDS.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          good thread - gives me a better idea of the what the insides of a uds looks like :-)

Plus versatility.
          All ya gotta do is ask.

By imn88fan

Nice job Dave, i set mine up the same way, time to sell the gasser!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
            Nice job Dave, i set mine up the same way, time to sell the gasser!
            Amen to that.
            Looks good Dave.

Tom

Comment

I actually use my drum for more grilling than I do smoking. I didn't raise the basket on mine though. I just put a blower on the intake and crank that sucker up. I can get 500+ at grate level that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Geek with Fire View Post
                I actually use my drum for more grilling than I do smoking. I didn't raise the basket on mine though. I just put a blower on the intake and crank that sucker up. I can get 500+ at grate level that way.
                Good idea.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X