Whole Grain Sourdough Bohemian Rye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Grain Sourdough Bohemian Rye

It was cold today, so no concrete to pour.
    I decided to try some rye bread since we planned on grilled Rubin sammies this week.
    First time making rye, but it went well. This is made with a sourdough starter, but only 1/2 tsp full. I used one that I made. Making this is a long process, but well worth it.
    Here is the sponge, ready to get mixed up with the rest of the ingredients.

Here is the rest of the ingredients: Water, high protein flour, caraway, salt, and butter.

KitchenAid doing it's thing.

2 loaves after rising for about 2 hours, before baking. I didn't quite get the 2 loaves divided evenly. Usually I weigh the dough before separating out into loaves, but this is way to sticky a dough to handle too much.

After baking for 10 minutes at 450°, then 30 minutes at 350°.

And here is a slice. Excellent bread.

As stated earlier this bread is made in 4 steps that takes about 40 hours from start to finish. It always amazes me how these breads come out when no additional yeast is used. Nothing but the yeast that you captured and grew yourself.
    I will post pics of the grilled Rubin's Wednesday when we have them. This would go great with fried fish.
    If you want to try this bread, the recipe came from here. http://www.sourdoughhome.com/newbohemianrye.html

Tom

Thats alot like the rye sour I make. It takes days. but worth every minute. Well the actual labor part aint much LOL. Nice Gunny.

Comment

WOW.. Truly a labor of love.. My wife loves a good Rye bread..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Why does Rye HAVE to have caraway? Ugh! Man, I gotta start baking... RUBEN RUBEN!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That some fine lookin bread!
          sigpic

Comment

Good looking rye, Gunny. That's worth points in my book!
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I don't really like the whole carraway seed, so just grind em up a bit. I do like the taste of them.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Why does Rye HAVE to have caraway? Ugh! Man, I gotta start baking... RUBEN RUBEN!

Comment

great with fried fish!!! you can bet i will be making some of this. looks great!!! love caraway!!! ever try farmers cheese with caraway? great tasting stuff melted on thin sliced ham or corn beef sammies!!! thks for sharing and the link.
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Great lookin Rye Gunny!
                  Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                  http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    I didn't quite get the 2 loaves divided evenly. Usually I weigh the dough before separating out into loaves, but this is way to sticky a dough to handle too much.
                    The bread looks great. If it is a very sticky dough, try spraying your hands with a little cooking spray before handling. It's a trick I learned working in a pizza place as a teenager. It works really good.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Dang Gunny ... Ya got another one over on me. Had to start over with my wheat starter, so we'll see if it takes off this time. Oh ... great lookin bread ...

Comment

Just a great job!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Just wait, this thread gets better.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                            Just wait, this thread gets better.
                            40 hours process?........can you, for us dummies, break that 40 hours into your steps?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

And the reason for the bread.

Reuben's! I had to skimp on my meat because the kids had eaten most of it by the time I got home. If I could marry them off right now..................

Anyway, the bread was excellent, nice light flavor just the way I like it. I cut the caraway from 4 tsp to 2. I don't care for a strong caraway flavor.

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                              40 hours process?........can you, for us dummies, break that 40 hours into your steps?
                              WD, I consider myself on the same level as the rest of you. So I guess if you are a dummy, so am I. So in that respect, I'll have to direct you to the website.
                              Hey BTW, I'm Iowa educated, and Iowans ain't no dummies. "State of minds," remember?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X