Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side of salmon traditionally 'cured', then marinated put on sticks and grilled :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side of salmon traditionally 'cured', then marinated put on sticks and grilled :-)

So over here salmon is traditionally 'cured' (no nitrite involved) and then cold smoked (lox basically).

Now in the past I've cut sides of smoked salmon up into cubes put it on sticks and grilled. It's pretty bloody good.

This is essentially the same thing but I decided not to bother with the smoking part and just gave it another day 'curing'.

The Cure.

3:1:1 seasalt:brown sugar: dried dill tips

Mix well - I generally use a mortar and pestle for this.

For one side of salmon (approx 3lb) I generally mix 3 batches.
    so about 9tsp seasalt : 3 tsp brown sugar : 3 tsp dilltips

Right so sprinkle bottom of large tin with the cure and place fish on top (I usually cut the side in half). Then drizzle all over with honey and add more cure.
    Add the second piece of salmon, honey and cure.

The honey isn't traditional I just thought I'd give it a go :-)

Wrap in clingfilm and put in fridge overnight.

Following day pour off the liquid, turn the fish over so the top bit is now on the bottom, rewrap and stick back in fridge for another day.

Pour off any more liquid and wipe the remaining cure from the surface of the fish with kitchen roll.

At this point you can either cold smoke, slice and eat or do what I did.
    Basically at this point, it's a mild cured gravad lax.

So if you're going to grill it. cut into strips and then into sections.

I then marinated with a mix of 50:50 balsamic vinegar and honey for about 4-5 hours. I then threaded on skewers - about 3 bits to a skewer.

Grill on a high heat for a couple of minutes a side. This stuff cooks quick so don't overcook.

It's top right of this picture.
    (bottom right moroccan style sausages, left ribs)

Turned out seriously tasty and definitely going to be a repeat cook :-)
    And like the suasages and ribs - it all went.
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

What a fabulous looking meal there! Love the salmon, and serving it with that sausage and ribs, for sure dude.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I also made coleslaw and tear'n'share garlic bread.
      With my lemon mousse and strawberries (from the garden) and whipped cream for dessert.

We've also gone through a liter bottle of tanqueary 10 gin in gin & tonics in the last 2 bbq's

Basically all i did yesterday was make, cook and eat food.
      The only prep I'd done pevious to yesterday was the salmon and thinking about the sausage recipe lol.
      I call it a 'day off' lol

here's the pic of the whole table.

Attached Files
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Very cool Alex, thanks for posting.
        sigpic

Comment

Very interesting. Nice!
          Keith

Comment

That looks awesome!!! I'm not much of a salmon lover but that sounds like something I would try! The ribs and sausage rocked too!

Comment

I got some points for that too. Send me a small plate. You have my address.

Tom

Comment

Excellent ..................................................

Comment

I made blackjack bbq sauce as well :-)
                  Don't want you to think there wasn't any sauce on the table - it's in that little brown pot on the right, just past the chafing dish.
                  Bought a special bottle of beer for it - looked like a pale ale, had honey in it (called wagglefoot). But when I tasted it - bitter as gall. So Rabbit dave drank it and I ended up using Sol instead.
                  To be honest I think the treacle (molasses) and whiskey make a lot more difference than the type of beer anyway.
                  Just a brilliant sauce, a little goes a long way and it goes perfectly with everything and haven't found anyone who doesn't like it yet. So thanks again to hoser for the original recipe :-)

Thanks for comments and points.
                  Got to admit it was probably the best salmon-onna-stick I've made. Worth three days prep - definitely. I mean we're only talking about 20 mins actual doing stuff.

Give it a go - just remember because it's cured (less water in the fish) it cooks REALLY quick. Plus it's fully edible before cooking so you don't need to worry about making sure it's cooked thoroughly.
                  Usually when I'm cooking fish-onna-stick. I stick a 20-25 count shrimp on the stick and when the shrimps gone pink, the fish is cooked. But this stuff cooks faster than shrimp.
                  Other than that - just give it a go :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thank You CA, I was just fixin to go lookin for a recipe just like this! Picked up a coupla "fresh" filets yesterday.
                    Looks most excellent, all of it. Points police says I gotta spread them around.

Hmmmm, I wonder how this would work in an ABT with some mango or papaya?
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

should work - be interesting
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

farken nice looking stuff Alex
                        sigpic
                        homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Very nice, Alex! What a great way to do the salmon. Thanks for the ideas!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

I must have been off fishing when this posted. Quite tasty looking salmon and other goodies.
                            sigpic
                            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

And I had heard the English were only good at making Yorkshire pudding! Way to prove 'em wrong C-Ard!

Comment

Working...
                              X