• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kyote's Sweet - Tart cole slaw

bring to a boil and cool
    1/2 cup vinegar 1/2 cup water
    1 cup sugar 1 tsp mustard seed

now combine 2 cups of water, 1 tbs kosher salt
    and pour over 1 quart of shredded cabbage, 1 pimiento chooped and let stand1/2 an hour or more.
    then drain cabbage and add 3 stalks of chopped celery (fine) and 1 small green bell pepper chopped (fine)
    add cooled vinegar mixture mix.

will keep in fridge for several days.
    I enjoy this with fried foods and on pulled pork sammies.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

sweet!!! or mebe tart!!! thks for sharing. the water and salt, does that cause the cabbage to wilt at all??? know when mixing kraut the salt makes the cabage wilt and make juice. wll have to give this one a shot next butt smoke!!! thks for sharing!!!
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
      sweet!!! or mebe tart!!! thks for sharing. the water and salt, does that cause the cabbage to wilt at all??? know when mixing kraut the salt makes the cabage wilt and make juice. wll have to give this one a shot next butt smoke!!! thks for sharing!!!
      Erain I was not sure how to answer this question about brining the cabbage.I knew why just could not seem to get it into written words.so I had to research a little.I think this is pretty good info.
      BTW that slaw is so good with fried sea food.

What does brining do?
      Brining is the soaking of meat in a solution of water and salt. Additional flavorings like sugar and spices can also me added, but salt is what makes a brine a brine (just like acid makes a marinade a marinade). This soaking causes the meat to gain some saltiness and flavoring while plumping it up with water so that after cooking it still contains a lot of juices.

The explanation for why brining works that I hear most often is that by surrounding the meat with salt water, salt and water are forced into the tissue through osmosis. Unfortunately, I've never been happy with that explanation. Osmosis is when a solvent (usually water or other liquid that can hold another substance, called the solute, in solution - like salt) moves from a low solute concentration (like the tissue of the meat) to a high solute concentration (like the salt water) through a semipermeable membrane (a surface that allows small particles to pass but not larger ones - like the cell membranes of our chicken or pork) to form an equilibrium. Hmmm... wait a minute. If that's true then water will be drawn from the low salt concentration meat to the high salt concentration salt water. At the same time, if the salt can enter the meat (which it can), then salt will be moving from salt water to meat. Won't that result in a salty, dry piece of poultry or pork?

Obviously, there's more going on than simple osmosis. It is true that salt enters the meat (it tastes more salty after brining). But why is it also more juicy? Well, when water flows out of the meat, salt flows in and begins to break down some of the proteins in the cells. In the broken down state, the molecules become more concentrated and the solute levels rise within the meat. This causes additional water to flow into the meat.

But doesn't that mean we've got the same amount of water as before brining? Nope. The cell membranes are semipermeable. They allow salt and water to flow in both directions freely, but larger molecules (like the denatured proteins and other solutes in the meat released by the salt) cannot flow out from within the cells. When the solutes of a solution on one side of a semipermeable membrane cannot pass to the other side, osmosis causes more and more solvent to move through the semipermeable membrane. This continues until the extra pressure from holding more solvent equals the rate at which solvent is "drawn" through the semipermeable membrane. (This rate is called osmotic pressure. How Stuff Works has a short article describing osmotic pressure with a diagram that may be helpful to visualize the water flow.)

What has happened is that through brining, we've caused a state change in the cells so that they will draw and hold more water than before. As we cook the meat, the heated proteins will begin to draw in tighter and squeeze out water, but, hopefully, enough water will remain to produce a juicy, tender piece of meat.

Brining Solution
      So, how much salt in water is used for brining? That really depends on how long of a brine you want and how salty you want the final product. A weak brine will require a longer brining time to achieve the same saltiness as a strong brine. When I need a moderate strength brine, I use 1/2 cup (about 150 g) of table salt per gallon of water. (Higher concentrations of salt can be used to reduce brining times, but the amount of salt and the time it takes to brine is dependent on the muscle structure of the particular piece of meat.) Using kosher salt is a common practice, but different manufacturers grind the salt to different levels of coarseness, so kosher salt should be weighed before adding to water. For small amounts of salt, the salt can be dissolved into cold water, but for larger quantities it may be necessary to heat the water to dissolve the salt.

Brining Time
      Always start with a cold brine. If you heated the brine, then refrigerate it before using it. The raw meat will be in the brine for a number of hours, so we don't want the temperature of the meat to rise higher than refrigerator temperatures (40°F, 4°C) if we can help it. Place the brine in a noncorrosive container like a plastic or glass container, plastic bag, or a stainless steel pot.

The brining time depends on the shape of your meat as well as the type of meat. Generally, a good rule of thumb is 2 hours per pound of solid poultry when using the 1/2 cup salt per gallon brine. Cut up poultry will have reduced brining time. For chicken pieces like breasts or thighs, 2 hours is usually enough time. Pork may take about four times as long to brine as poultry. In most cases, it's difficult to predict how fast the salt moves into the meat when you double or halve the salt in the brine, but it's worth experimenting with to have your brining "finish" at a time where you will be around to remove the meat from the brine.

When you remove the meat from the brine, rinse off the excess salt from the surface and return the meat to the refrigerator to await cooking. Pour out the brine after each brining. (No need to have a half gallon of raw meat juice infused salt water lying around growing germs...)

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

all that brining info is for meat.
        Not sure cabbage behaves the same. Different cell wall composition and proteins.
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          all that brining info is for meat.
          Not sure cabbage behaves the same. Different cell wall composition and proteins.
          curious aardvark,

yes, you are correct.it is about brining meat.But ,I beleive it can carry over to veggies for the most part. seems hard to find a reason to brine answer to veggies on the net.
          it says it seems to plump it up some which it does to the cabbage.make's it taste gooder.
          not trying to cornfuse. just trying to put it all together to get good eats.

Comment

recently I incorperated into cole slaws (mayo and the sweet and tart types) something I found that makes a differnt and still tasty cole slaw. kinda bumps it up, at least for me and the buds.

chopped pecans, they make a great crunch and they taste good. smoked, raw or roasted.

fresh blanched corn on the cob. cut it off the cob and incorperate into the slaw.
            some will use the drooling smiley for this, others may use the barfing smiley..if ya can tell the differnce in the one we have here..lol..
            please enjoy in moderation..

Comment

It's an old receipe post but it was great on pulled pork

Been looking for an old school slaw recipe like my mom made when I was a kid. Actually I sort of hated it back then but tastes mellow with age. She never had a written recipe for her slaw and I've tried to duplicate it but never really got close. The extra step of brinning the cabbage did the trick. Now just need to adjust some of the spices. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fairview View Post
                Been looking for an old school slaw recipe like my mom made when I was a kid. Actually I sort of hated it back then but tastes mellow with age. She never had a written recipe for her slaw and I've tried to duplicate it but never really got close. The extra step of brinning the cabbage did the trick. Now just need to adjust some of the spices. Thanks
                Heh..the old Kyote rises again! Where ya been Bill? Missed ya... well, with every shot so fur anyway...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks like this just might need to hit my pork sammy as well!
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X