Lamb Rib Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamb Rib Smoke

I have been hankering for some lamb ribs since a buddy made some a few months back. The lamb spares come as the lamb breast with the rib tips, etc. attached. I grabbed up a pack that was probably mismarked @ $1.99 per lb.

I wanted to try a no water pan smoke on the WSM, wanting the lamb ribs to smoke at 1round 275 degrees and allow them to drip onto the coals below.

I set up the WSM with about 30 unli briquettes off to one side, with a couple chunks of wood, the opposite side I had a large chink of wood. I added a 1/2 chimney of lit briquettes and scatted a few around. Closed up the WSM to see where it would go. Temps popped up over 300 degrees, so I closed off all 3 lower vents, temp settled to about 260 degrees. Ready to go.

I wanted to hang the ribs, been wanting to do this with pork ribs but tried them on the lamb first. I took the trimmed and rubbed ribs and clipped them to the top WSM rack allowing them to hang over the cooler side of the fire. All good.

Rub was middle eastern influeced(garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, tumeric, marjoram, corriander, cumin, turbino sugar, paprika). Ribs were smoked a little over 4 hours. Lamb is fatty, so there was alot of shrinkage, but the meat that remained was excellent, juiy, tender, smokey.

set-up:

ribs:

mustard slather:

rubbed and hangin':

lamb rib tips up top, ribs hangin underneath:

2 bone sampler:

nice ring:

enjoyed the flavor from the ribs dripping on the coals, also really liked hanging the ribs. Cooked really evenly and stayed really moist.

thanks for looking.
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

That is a great looking set of ribs! I love lamb, but haven't done spares. Any particular advantage to hanging vs. setting on a rack?

James

Comment

Originally posted by Adiochiro3 View Post
      That is a great looking set of ribs! I love lamb, but haven't done spares. Any particular advantage to hanging vs. setting on a rack?

James
      thanks james,

I read into the hanging vs on the rack. Seems the biggest proven advantage is added capacity of the smoker.

Alleged benifits are more even cooking, better smoke penetration, no pooling of moisture on the meat.

I enjoyed the hanging method. ill try it again.

Comment

sounds and looks great!
        sigpic
        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Nice one Jim! ....... Like the hanging method you chose..... Did you like them enought to smoke them again?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Nice one Jim! ....... Like the hanging method you chose..... Did you like them enought to smoke them again?
            for sure, they seem to self baste.

I think lamb is my second favorite meat to smoke after pork.

Lamb is really fatty so it is hard to dry it out as well.

Comment

Them ribs look awesome, hope you had a great 4th

GOSM
              K.C.B.S Member # 60786
              Digital Thermometers
              Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
              140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

very nice Jim. i love that deep red smoke ring. why isn't there any ring on the bottom half of the ribs? I am guessing a fat layer?
                Current babies:
                -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                -RichTee's Lang :)
                Former Lineup:
                -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                  very nice Jim. i love that deep red smoke ring. why isn't there any ring on the bottom half of the ribs? I am guessing a fat layer?
                  thanks,

that was the area on the bone that doesnt have the ring. pretty good penetration.

Comment

Wow, you rocked it Jim... great stuff!! I'm liking the hanging method!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Wow, you rocked it Jim... great stuff!! I'm liking the hanging method!
                      I was glad it worked,

I thought about it for a while. The WSM very light on fuel, and having a hot and a cooler side worked for what I wanted. Kind of smoke roasted product.

Comment

Comment

Oh man that cross section looks good! You can actually see just how tender that meat was. Nice going!

Dave

Comment

That does look awesome Jim. I've never tried lamb ribs. Do they taste gamey at all? I'm not a big lamb lover but I'd try those!

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                              That does look awesome Jim. I've never tried lamb ribs. Do they taste gamey at all? I'm not a big lamb lover but I'd try those!
                              to me it tastes like pork and beef combined. The red meat taste of beef, and the earthy tones of pork.

Comment

Working...
                              X