Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another fridge smoker? Maybe, maybe not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fridge smoker? Maybe, maybe not.

Well here is the skinny on my dilema. About a week ago a friend of ours bought an RV over in Missouri and drove it here. Here, she thought she would have plenty of room to strip it out and rebuild it. It was an old 1977 rv with a big Chevy 454 in it. She gutted that thing, too k everything out and even the floor. She didn't touch the stove, sink, or bathroom. But the rest of it was gone, even the fridge. She got it all back together and put in one of those electric fridges for college dorms, the biggest one you can get at Wal-Mart.

So here is this fridge in my yard. She came to pick up all the crap today and haul it off. But I told her to leave the fridge because I might salvage it. Its one that runs off propane or electricity. Needs a new gasket and switch for what powers it, but thats all.

So my wife comes out and see's she left it behind and I told her I might salvage it and sell it. No good, she kind of figured out all by herself i am thinking new cabinet smoker project, and she ain't into that. Ya see, I got a full size fridge only half way through the conversion process now and 2 SS kegs waiting in the wings.

But ya know, this fridge is 3' high, 2' wide and 2' deep, so thats 12 cubic feet and thats perfect smoking size right there. All I need to do is strip it, put a rope gasket on there, make some racks, cut a hold for the exhaust and add a firebox. I would rather keep this one and get rid of the other one. I told her that and she said she would think it over and give me the report in the morning.

If she gives me the thumbs up I'll take some pics and post them here. Heck, either way, I done called my son and gave him the spec's to weld me up a firebox and racks tomorrow at work. Ya see, I am keeping this one for sure and I want the other one still.

This be an excellant addition to a UDS and file cabinet smoker collection, plus the mini-drum beast (oh yea, forgot to post earlier, the ECB turned mini-drum beast now has a 6 inch extension so it can either run 2 racks or have extra room for a full size turkey bird), and the charcoal converted gourmet electric.

Be back in the mid AM hours with some pics.
    sigpic

i love fridge smokers... can't wait o see where this leads.

hell buddy, since it's only a 3.5 hour drive... here's what we do:

you supply the meat, i'll grab some beer, we'll knock out the remainder of your existing smoker.

while that is firing up, seasoning and cooking, we just build the other one and not tell the wife.

when she comes out to "check on things", we have the mini one fried up... it's as simple as that. lol
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
      you supply the meat, i'll grab some beer, we'll knock out the remainder of your existing smoker.
      o
      while that is firing up, seasoning and cooking, we just build the other one and not tell the wife.
      Would have been a great plan, but while I was out putting hay up she done fixed that. She called my son and he came and got it to finish. No big deal, I was gonna give it to him anyhow. They are going to use it for their big company monthly Q sessions.
      sigpic

Comment

Well my wife made her decision, not too happy but I can live with it. As you see below she gave my uncompleted fridge to my son.

Here is a pic of the mini-fridge with the door off;

Also had to give up the 2 Stainless kegs. That I can live with. Cutting and welding on stainless isn't much fun and these 2 kegs have gotten some dents sitting around here. Not to mention the 6" cut my snow blade put in one.

But this project will probably go on hold until after we get the corn out of the ground in September. All this hay and added cows is keeping me pretty busy right now anyhow. As much as I like this great hobby of smoking meat, I love farming even more. And I am the only son of 4 that even does it, so I have to keep going, learn more and pass it on to my only grandson.

But as i do a different section I'll update this build.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X