Kosher Style Dills ...my way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosher Style Dills ...my way

The cucumbers are producing like crazy folks, so I guess It's time to make some pickles. The first batch of the summer will be Kosher style dills.

Kosher-style Dill Pickles

6 pounds± 4 inch pickling cucumbers, sliced in half lengthwise

¾ cup sugar

½ cup canning salt

1 Qt. white vinegar 5% solution

1 Qt. water

bay leaves

crushed garlic cloves

dried chili peppers

"pickle crisp"

3 Tb pickling spices

Fresh dill heads and sprigs

Wash cukes well and drain. Combine sugar, salt, vinegar and water in a large saucepot. Tie spices in a bag if you wish, I prefer to add mine straight to the brine and in the jars with everything else. Simmer the brine for 15 minutes. Pack cucumbers in the jar, leaving ¼ inch head space. Add garlic cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns, chili peppers and pickle-crisp to each jar.Ladle brine into jars, leaving ¼ inch head space, remove air bubbles. Adjust the caps and process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Remove from water bath and place 2 inches apart on soft towels to cool for 12-24 hours

Check seals and store in a cool place for 6-8 weeks before eating
    Makes at least 7 pints

Here's what we need, basically...

Now we wash the cukes carefully and trim off the blossom end. That end can contain enzymes that will produce a lousy pickle (so they say) so I always trim them back.

Get your brine going while the water heats in your canner, and sanitize the lids by simmering for 10 minutes. This is also a good time to sterilize your jars...I do mine in the dishwasher, and leave them there until I pack them, so I can pack them hot.

Now remove the sterilized jars from the dishwasher and begin to pack them...start with a nice head of fresh dill in each.

Pack your cukes in as tight as you can get them, but leave ½ inch headspace when you pour on the brine.

As you can see, I also add bay leaves, hot dried peppers and garlic to my dills...I also try to get another head of dill on the top. You'll want to probe the jars with a butterknife or something just to make sure there are no air bubbles trapped in the brine, then wipe the lip of each jar carefully with a clean damp cloth, then apply the sterilized lids. Place the lids on, then the bands ....tighten the bands finger tight only!

Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes

Remove from water bath and place on towels to cool for 24 hours, undisturbed

sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

These look great, you are da pickle MAN!
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Diggin your posts man. Thanks again
      JT

Comment

Those are my favorite kinda pickles

GOSM
        K.C.B.S Member # 60786
        Digital Thermometers
        Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
        140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Recipe copied. Going to have a boatload of cuckes in the next few weeks, can't wait to give this one a try. Thanks Hoser.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Love homemade pickles and those look great!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by northern greenhorn View Post
              Those are my favorite kinda pickles
              Me toooo Cat Daddy!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Them are looking good.
                sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

My pickling cuccs are coming in pretty quick right now too. THanks for the post as this will be my first go at making pickles!

Dave

Comment

My pickles are going crazy too. I hope I can get in some pickling before the all get too big. Thanks for the recipe pickle man!

Comment

Couple questions:
                      1. Can any unused brine be cooled and reheated later?
                      -I want to can my cuccs while they are still fresh but I do not have enough for more than a couple jars so far.

Also guessing that this recipe would be good with peppers too. so....
                      2. When pickling whole jalapenos, hungarian hots etc. do I need to put a cut in the pepper to allow the brine to get inside?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Comment

I think it worked

I decided to just make half the amount of brine since I had just enough cuccs for two pints of pickles. Followed the instructions to a T and I think it came out right. The lids don't make that "doinky doinky" sound when you press on them so I think they sealed ok.

Thanks for the instructions. Looking forward to doing more of this when I get more cuccs and peppers!

Dave

Comment

Excellent looking pickles. That "pickle crisp" is the way to go. Years ago, we used to use powdered alum to keep them crisp.
                          sigpic
                          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I made my first ones last year with alum. So the picklecrisp is better? Is it in the grocery store?
                            Keith

Comment

Sweet!
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X