Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserved Lemons

Preserved Lemons

If you have ever tried good North African cuisine, specifically Moroccan....you will be familiar with an absolutely indispenable ingredient in their preparation. I'm speaking of course about preserved lemons....it would be impossible to impart the flavors of this item to a dish with any substitution.

That being said, they are also outrageously expensive (if you're lucky enough to find them) ...I saw one lemon being sold for $7.95. Needless to say if we're going to cook Moroccan, we'd better learn to preserve our own lemons. I did a batch yesterday, so I guess now would be a good time to talk everyone through it.

We'll start with the essentials..basically all that is required is a sterilized jar, lemons and good kosher or sea salt. You'll notice I add some mediterranean spices to mine, just because that is the cuisine in which they will be used. My extras include cinnamon, assorted peppercorns, coriander seeds (just a few), bay leaf and some whole cloves.

Scrub the lemons under cool water and pat dry, then trim off the bud ends.

I then like to quarter mine, or cut into 8ths if they are large lemons. There are several schools of thought on this, and you may find traditionalist saying "don't cut all the way through the lemon...cut it so you can salt and then put the whole lemon in the jar" This is nothing more than personal preference, or esthetics. I cut mine smaller so I can pack more into one jar. Being the cheap S.O.B. that I am, it makes good fiscal sense.

ut the rest of your lemons and remove as many seeds as you can, then place in a non-reactive bowl and top with sea or kosher salt. Here I used about 2/3 cup of coarse sea salt.

Toss the lemons and salt well, and have your spices ready if using...place about 1/4 inch of salt in the sterile jar and then begin packing the lemons in. Pack as tightly as you can..the object is to get the juice out of the lemons. Alternate with the spices . You may need about 4 or 5 extra lemons here...cut them and juice them so that after you're done packing, you'll have enough juice to cover the lemons in the jar.

Yes, all those lemons did fit into that little jar.

I also like to label and date mine so there is no confusion. Now we cover the lemons with the extra juice, seal the jar tightly and leave it at room temp for a month. Shake the jar gently at least once a day to distribute the salt and spices. After 30 days, you may refrigerate, but it is not necessary ..if it makes you feel better go ahead. You can also pour a thin layer of olive oil over the lemons first if you like to help seal a little more. These lemons will last at least a year, and more than likely much longer than that.
    When you use them you may want to use the pulp, or just the rind sliced up thinly...it's up to you, experiment and have fun!

sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Very interesting post. Curious as to exactly how to use them as an ingredient and how much to use. I imagine it would be very easy to over salt a dish with them. And traditionally what are they used with? Fish and poultry come to mind.
    JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
      Very interesting post. Curious as to exactly how to use them as an ingredient and how much to use. I imagine it would be very easy to over salt a dish with them. And traditionally what are they used with? Fish and poultry come to mind.
      Morroccan chicken is the first dish I made using them Whiskey man...a wonderful slow cooked dish with cinnamon, cumin, pepper and all kinds of North African spices. The preserved lemon is an integral part of that area's cuisine.

Interestingly enough, Mrs Hoser and her girlfriend were swilling backb lemon martinis one day this past winter when I pulled the jar out and asked if they wanted to include some. They did indeed, and both loved it!

If you decide to make some, be patient, give it time to cure, and DO NOT use the lemon itself when you put it in the dish. Scrape the lemon flesh out and just mince the rind, taste and go from there.

I'll try to find my Moroccan chicken recipe and post it for you, but most recipes I've seen call for one wedge of preserved lemon. If I find it, I'll post in "from the kitchen".
      sigpic

Comment

Cool, I just bought a bag of lemons!
        Thanks Hoser, nice post!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Awesome post Hoser! I love to use preserved lemons. When I can find Meyer lemons I try to preserve a jar. They really add a punch to any kind of seafood stew. I make a saffron rice dish and chop the lemons fine and add. Serve that with fish. Mmmm. Maybe I'll do that soon. Sounds refreshing. Thanks again for the awesome post!

Comment

Hmmm I'm thinking vodka could show up somewhere along the line here :{)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Hmmm I'm thinking vodka could show up somewhere along the line here :{)
              The gals really loved a slice of preserved rind in the lemontinis Rich...I'd highly recommend it.
              sigpic

Comment

Jar #1 is done, #2 is in the oven (had more lemons than I thought). Coming to a post near you in a month...a month!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Definately on the list, I've got 5 meyers lemon trees and they are loaded year round so I have plenty to experiment with. And I love dirty vodka martinnis so I'm sure some salty lemon would be fantastic, I'm on it.
                  JT

Comment

Very interesting post.....
                    sigpic

Comment

Whataya know. Never heard of them. I will be starting some limoncello soon....Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                        Definately on the list, I've got 5 meyers lemon trees and they are loaded year round so I have plenty to experiment with. And I love dirty vodka martinnis so I'm sure some salty lemon would be fantastic, I'm on it.
                        The gals absolutely loved it Whiskey man....said it put their lemon-tinis right over the top!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X