Two Smoking Cheese Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Smoking Cheese Questions

I'm smoking some cheese tomorrow. This is my second time smoking cheese. I'm using the Amazen smoker.

I have a couple questions, and I'd really appreciate some input from experienced cheese smokers! :)

First, when the cheese comes off, do you let it sit a while before you vacuum seal it? Should it cool to room temp (assuming it was warmed above room temp during the smoking) before sealing? Do you put it in the fridge, or just let it sit on the counter?

Second, I know you have to let cheddars and other hard cheeses age for some weeks after vacuum sealing. I know it's largely a matter of personal preference, but what is the optimal time? Is two weeks sufficient? Would three be noticeably better? I'm in no hurry whatsoever. If it would be better to wait 3 or 4 weeks to get a better product, I'd be willing to wait.

Your opinions are welcome!
    sigpic

After smoking you should let the cheese cool a bit and once at room temp you should put it in the fridge (uncovered and on a rack) so any moisture on the outside will evaporate and then vac seal it.
    You could eat the cheese right from the smoker but the difference between that and letting it rest, mellow and distribute for 2 weeks is worlds apart!
    As a general rule I do 2 weeks and have done up to 3 but didn't notice any difference.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Thanks much, Fire It Up!

I'm also wondering if some packages can go straight into the freezer and age there, or is it better to age in the fridge and then freeze?
      sigpic

Comment

I never freeze cheese.
        You can and it will thaw out somewhat useable depending on some and more proper depending on others but personal preference aside I would let rest and then freeze because freezing right away would halt it right as it was.

Be sure to take pics

And don't know if you have ever tried it but one popular deal when smoking cheese is to "brine" in pickle juice, hot pepper juice or coat with a nice rub before smoking.
        Adds a nice extra level of flavor
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
          I never freeze cheese.
          I don't either. As with much of what we do, the methods we use, produce more than just a desired taste. In the case of smoking, the smoke deposits acids on the surface of your product that inhibits mold growth, which is cheeses' main enemy. Vac packed and refridgerated it should last far longer than you can stand to leave it alone. Good luck and let us know how it goes
          JT

Comment

Originally posted by wntrlnd77 View Post
            I'm smoking some cheese tomorrow. This is my second time smoking cheese. I'm using the Amazen smoker.

I have a couple questions, and I'd really appreciate some input from experienced cheese smokers! :)

First, when the cheese comes off, do you let it sit a while before you vacuum seal it? I let mine sit for approx. 1/2 hr., wrap in plastic wrap, then vac seal it. Should it cool to room temp (assuming it was warmed above room temp during the smoking) before sealing? You could do that. Do you put it in the fridge, or just let it sit on the counter? I always store my smoked cheese in the fridge, preferably in the back as not to be tempted to get in it.

Second, I know you have to let cheddars and other hard cheeses age for some weeks after vacuum sealing. I know it's largely a matter of personal preference, but what is the optimal time? Is two weeks sufficient? Would three be noticeably better? I'm in no hurry whatsoever. If it would be better to wait 3 or 4 weeks to get a better product, I'd be willing to wait. I've had the best product waiting the 3-4 weeks, so since you're in no hurry, your patience will pay off,imo
            Look forward to some pics of your cheese smoke.
            I also do not freeze my cheese.

Your opinions are welcome!
            sigpic
            New Braunfels Bandera
            New Braunfels Hondo
            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
            1-26" Weber Kettle
            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

You got some great advice but let me add one more tidbit. If you get some fresh mozzarella packed in water and add that to your smoke you can have the best of both worlds. The fresh mozzarella you can eat right away while you pack up the other cheeses for aging.
              Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                You got some great advice but let me add one more tidbit. If you get some fresh mozzarella packed in water and add that to your smoke you can have the best of both worlds. The fresh mozzarella you can eat right away while you pack up the other cheeses for aging.
                Listen to brother Scar. I did that with some mini mozzarella balls rolled in spices;
                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6915
                Thanks for the reminder Gary
                Oh yeah and the port wine cheese ball was outta this world smoked too.
                JT

Comment

Thanks much, Fire It Up!

I'm also wondering if some packages can go straight into the freezer and age there, or is it better to age in the fridge and then freeze?

I always freeze the cheese I smoke I let it sit in the fridge for around 2 weeks vac sealed and then pop it in the freezer usually in 1/4 lb packs just remove from freezer and use as usual
                  sigpicJack

Bradley Original
                  Centro Electric Digital Smoker
                  Walmart propane upright
                  little chief electric
                  7 in 1 masterbuilt
                  7x7 wood/elec/propane in the works

Comment

Thank you, Fire it up, Whisky Fish, Mikey, Scarbelly, Whisky Fish, & Dysartsmoker

I really appreciate the input, and diversity of opinions/preferences.

I am definitely interested in doing a brine. How long do you brine the cheese before smoking? Does pickle brine work for all sorts of cheese, or is it better for some more than others?

I didn't realize I needed FRESH mozzarella. I went and got the brick kind.

What's the deal, now do I need to let that age same as the cheddar?

I'm seriously thinking of running over to the store right now and getting some fresh mozzarella.

Do you folks smoke the fresh moz as long as you do hard cheeses? Or does it need less time?

Don't worry about the pictures, I'll post the whole shebang later today.
                    sigpic

Comment

Smile and Say Cheese!

OK, I went back to the store and got some fresh mozzarella and some goat cheese.

Now, could someone please tell me how much smoke these sorts of cheese need?

I'm fixing to take off the first batch I smoked this morning and start adding the moz right about now.

Please and Thank You for the help!
                      sigpic

Comment

I didn't realize I needed FRESH mozzarella. I went and got the brick kind.

What's the deal, now do I need to let that age same as the cheddar?
                        You don't "need" fresh Mozzarella but it works really well, but so does the firm mozzarella
                        Just remember that you are doing this for your own taste. You don't have to age the cheddar but some prefer it that way. It's still gonna be great.
                        On edit; I reread your question, If you meant how long to age it after smoking, the answer is no, it's a very plain cheese so the smoke really stands out. I dunno my mozzarella never lasts that long in the fridge. The reason I misunderstood is that Alex ages his cheddar before and after he smokes it.
                        Now, could someone please tell me how much smoke these sorts of cheese need?

I'm fixing to take off the first batch I smoked this morning and start adding the moz right about now.

Please and Thank You for the help!
                        The time is gonna vary by personal preference and how much smoke you are dumping on it. some like a slight hint of smoke others like it to taste like an ashtray I'd go for a couple hours with very light smoke and then try a piece. It'll intensify as it ages so pull it before it's "smokey enough" for your tastes.
                        Hope this helps but smokers vary as wildly as taste does so it's gotta be trial and error.
                        Good luck
                        Last edited by Whisky Fish; 07-14-2011, 01:31 PM.
                        JT

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you kindly, Whisky Fish!

Yeah, you correctly got the meaning of my question on 2nd reading.

I wanted to eat the mozzarella right away, and when I read Gary's suggestion to try some fresh moz, I was worried I was going to have to age the bricks. Nice to know that it's ready to go right away.

Just to be on the safe side,though, I went and got some fresh, and I've got that in now.

I reckon I'll try some in a bit. It's been on nigh on to 90 minutes already.

Right now it's time to start vacuum sealing this morning's production.

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                          You don't "need" fresh Mozzarella but it works really well, but so does the firm mozzarella
                          Just remember that you are doing this for your own taste. You don't have to age the cheddar but some prefer it that way. It's still gonna be great.
                          On edit; I reread your question, If you meant how long to age it after smoking, the answer is no, it's a very plain cheese so the smoke really stands out. I dunno my mozzarella never lasts that long in the fridge. The reason I misunderstood is that Alex ages his cheddar before and after he smokes it.

The time is gonna vary by personal preference and how much smoke you are dumping on it. some like a slight hint of smoke others like it to taste like an ashtray I'd go for a couple hours with very light smoke and then try a piece. It'll intensify as it ages so pull it before it's "smokey enough" for your tastes.
                          Hope this helps but smokers vary as wildly as taste does so it's gotta be trial and error.
                          Good luck
                          sigpic

Comment

smoking cheese

I like to cut it up into 2" slabs, and smoke it for 4-5 hrs. @ 90* and try different rubs.
                            Just me, I like a heavy smoke, and find most around here do also,
                            Gouda, always a fav., and Smoked aged Canadian brick , it crumbles up nicely, great on a salad.
                            Smoked Jalapeno sticks and grind up in food processor are great on pizzas,tacos,chips and salsa,etc.
                            Smoked Motz. on burgers. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Dysartsmoker View Post
                              I always freeze the cheese I smoke I let it sit in the fridge for around 2 weeks vac sealed and then pop it in the freezer usually in 1/4 lb packs just remove from freezer and use as usual
                              Pretty much what I do but I use clingfilm for the fridge time and only vacpack if I'm going to freeze (stops it drying out).

With frozen cheese it depends entirely on the fat content how it defrosts. Very high fat soft cheese - brie primarily. Does not freeze as such it just goes hard. So defrosts with - if anything - improved texture
                              Cheddars can go a little crumbly, but then again I tend to use very mature cheddar (from an american viewpoint anyway) which has less water in to begin with.

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post

Good luck
                              lol it's not so much that I deliberately age cheese before smoking, more that I buy big vacpacked blocks from costco shove them to the back of the fridge and then forget about them for a couple of months, smoke and then forget about them for another month or so as they're usually pushed to the back of the workshop fridge.

I also cut the cheese into around inch thick blocks and smoke for 2-3 hours for cheddar type cheese. In my opinion it gives a more even smokey flavour, without that strong dark rind that can develop with longer smokes and that you often get on commercial 'smoked' cheese (some of it is just sprayed with liquid smoke).
                              On the flipside with the brie I aim for that strong smoky rind, as that then passes the flavour into the softer core.

I figure after a week in the fridge with the inch thick stuff it's good to go
                              The thicker you cut the cheese (sniggers) the longer it will take for the smoke flavour to permeate the entire block.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X