Apple Butter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Butter!

Been wanting to do this for a while. I got the recipe from Simply Recipes posted by Elise.
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/apple_butter/

We start with the apples, 4lbs of Granny Smith. (store bought)

Then the mess. The sugar is missing as you measure it when you measure the purée.

I lost somehow, the pic of starting to boil the apples . So next we have the apples in the foodmill. The purée is in the bowl below.

Everything all mixed in and simmering!

As the A Butter was getting close to finished I fired up the pressure cooker and boiled the caps lids and jars for 10 minutes. I kept the heat on and just worked out of the pressure cooker to "can" the A Butter, pulling one jar out - filling and capping. The putting back in the cooker while retrieving another jar, repeat, repeat. Then put the top on the pressure cooker, turned up the heat and waited for the steam to build up. Once the top started rockin, I waited ten minutes, then turned the heat off and let it start to cool. And here are the finished jars of sweet, wonderful, brown goodness! I used 16oz jars (not 8oz) cause that's what I had!

Apple Butter
    Ingredients

* 4 lbs of good cooking apples Granny Smith or Gravenstein
    * 1 cup apple cider vinegar
    * 2 cups water
    * Sugar (about 4 cups, see cooking instructions)
    * Salt
    * 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    * 1/2 teaspoon allspice
    * Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon

Equipment Needed

* 1 wide 8-quart pan (Stainless steel or copper with stainless steel lining)
    * A food mill or a chinois sieve
    * A large (8 cup) measuring cup pourer
    * 6-8 8-ounce canning jars

Method
    Preparing the Fruit

1 Cut the apples into quarters, without peeling or coring them (much of the pectin is in the cores and flavor in the peels), cut out damaged parts.
    First Stage of Cooking

2 Put them into large pot, add the vinegar and water, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook until apples are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

3 Ladle apple mixture into a chinois sieve (or foodmill) and using a pestle force pulp from the chinois into a large bowl below.

4 Measure resulting puree. Add 1/2 cup of sugar for each cup of apple pulp. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add a dash of salt, and the cinnamon, ground cloves, allspice, lemon rind and juice. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
    Second Stage of Cooking

5 Cook uncovered in a large, wide, thick-bottomed pot on medium low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Scrape the bottom of the pot while you stir to make sure a crust is not forming at the bottom. Cook until thick and smooth (about 1 to 2 hours). A small bit spooned onto a chilled (in the freezer) plate will be thick, not runny. You can also cook the purée on low heat, stirring only occasionally, but this will take much longer as stirring encourages evaporation. (Note the wider the pan the better, as there is more surface for evaporation.)
    Last edited by Mark R; 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM. Reason: Cause I can
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Fantastic post Don't know if I'll ever get around to trying it but I sure as hell copied and pasted. Appreciate it Mark
    JT

Comment

My Mom can rock the apple butter! Yours looks fantastic, too, Mark! Where are the biscuits?
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Nicely done Mark.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
          My Mom can rock the apple butter! Yours looks fantastic, too, Mark! Where are the biscuits?
          "Biscuits...in the oven"! Not a BUN!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Looks great, Mark. Won't be long and it will be apple season here. Guess I'd better make up a batch since yours looks so good.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              "Biscuits...in the oven"! Not a BUN!
              Well, a toasted bun wouldn't be too bad in times when you have no biscuits.
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                Well, a toasted bun wouldn't be too bad in times when you have no biscuits.
                Yea but a "bun in the oven" has a whole different connotation!
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Nice job on the AB my friend...looks absolutely delicious
                  sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Nice stuff right there! Cheers for the recipe!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                    X