While The Cat's Away The Mice Smoke Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While The Cat's Away The Mice Smoke Cheese

Thanks to all the super cool misfits that helped me out on this smoke, it turned out great!

I started out on burgundy, but soon hit the harder stuff.

I mean, I started out with a big brick of Tillamook Jack cheese and three half pound pieces of mozzarella.

Then I remembered the last time I smoked cheese and how I forgot to do some Gouda. So, off I go to the store to score some Gouda.

With Gouda in hand, I thought I was good to go.

Here's my starting line-up. I'm cold smoking today on a Char-Broil Silver Smoker, using an Amazen smoker, burning Todd's hickory magic dust. I left the middle row empty and lit both ends of the Amazen.

Here's how it looks a couple hours in. It was nice and overcast all day, the internal smoker temp never got above 88 degrees.

Right about this time I figured out I needed to get some fresh mozzarella, so off I went to Trader Joes. While there I decided to get some goat cheese, too.

By this time it was becomming clear I should make a pizza with some of this fresh smoked moz, so I picked up some pizza dough. I'll post the pizza view subsequently.

I did some of the little cheese balls I'll use on the pizza with italian seasoning. I also had some paprika that I smoked myself last week, so I rolled a bunch of them balls in it. I thought it would be a good idea to have another flavor to snack on, so I hit the remaining balls with Cajun spices. I gaurantee it!

The Goat cheese got a similar treatment:

Standing by, ready to go in

These brave tomatoes volunteered for pizza duty. God bless every delicious one of them. First time I ever tried smoking these things, and wow are they great!

By the time the first smoker full of cheese was finishing up, I had the next batch all prepped and ready to go.

Here's some of the first batch ready to come off.

Momentarily safe, now in the kitchen

These are the smoked tomatoes. They look almost exactly like they did when i put them in. But they took on a really nice bit of smoke that made them sort of sweet. I'm thinking, these will be great on my pizza.

I sat aside a portion of the fresh moz for the pizza, and left some additional cheese out for a mac and cheese I'll make this weekend.

Here's the part I vacuum sealed:

That's it for my 2nd cheese smoke, and my first Q view here on the Island. Thanks to everyone for their input! Much obliged!

Hope you enjoyed the view. Thanks for looking in!
    Last edited by wntrlnd77; 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM.
    sigpic

So far so good, show us how it goes!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Get after it Hot Rod!...That oughta eat real good!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Hey folks, sorry if the picture sizes are messed up!

I tried resizing each and every one. Looks like some resized, some didn't.

Es tut mir leid. Or something.
        sigpic

Comment

Interesting post, got my attention. Like the tomato action especially, got a lot of 'em coming soon.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Wow good looking stuff!

Comment

Thanks, Mark! I finally got the rest posted, albeit with screwy picture sizes. *sigh*

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              So far so good, show us how it goes!
              Thanks, Slanted88! I tried a couple of those little mozzarella balls and they were, as my brother says, screamin'!

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
              Get after it Hot Rod!...That oughta eat real good!
              Thanks, SmokinOutBack! The tomatoes were almost an afterthought. Sure glad I got them in there!

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
              Interesting post, got my attention. Like the tomato action especially, got a lot of 'em coming soon.
              sigpic

Comment

Looks very good. Definitely want to try cheese. I have dropped SEVERAL hints to my boys about an amazen smoker for my bday, we'll see how well they listen.

Looking forward to the pizza

Comment

Love me some smoked maters...Try smokin and then drying them...Tons of uses...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

WOW... Look at the new guy trotting in here kicking up the smoked cheese.. Nicely done..

Now for the wait till it gets really good..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                      Like the tomato action...
                      Me, too... especially when he said this:

Originally posted by wntrlnd77 View Post
                      These brave tomatoes volunteered for pizza duty. God bless every delicious one of them.

Great job on the cheese and I love the looks of the tomatoes! Hope we get to see them on a pizza and hear how they were
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Great Post
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks, MrsB! Sounds like you are going to have to order the Amazen for yourself, wrap it up and put their names on it so you can open it in front of them and congratulate them for listening so well and making sure your bday was special!

I joke, but I'm barely more attentive than your sons, if at all.

Originally posted by MrsB View Post
                          Looks very good. Definitely want to try cheese. I have dropped SEVERAL hints to my boys about an amazen smoker for my bday, we'll see how well they listen.

Looking forward to the pizza
                          Thank you, SMOKE FREAK! I only wish I would've stuck a whole bunch more of them in there to smoke. Drying them sounds very cool, too. Whip those babies out off season and, bam, it's summer. Smoky summer.

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Love me some smoked maters...Try smokin and then drying them...Tons of uses...
                          Thanks, Texas-Hunter! I'm new here, but I've always been a misfit. Thanks for making me feel at home!

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                          WOW... Look at the new guy trotting in here kicking up the smoked cheese.. Nicely done..

Now for the wait till it gets really good..
                          Thank you, sweet_magnolia! I'm positively planning on posting the pizza pix after partaking in that presumably perfect pie.

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                          Me, too... especially when he said this:

Great job on the cheese and I love the looks of the tomatoes! Hope we get to see them on a pizza and hear how they were
                          Thank you very much, Fishawn! I really appreciate the comment & points!

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Great Post
                          sigpic

Comment

Very nice smoke wntrlnd!!!
                            Keep up the good work!
                            And in case no one else got it, I caught the "soon hit the harder stuff" reference right away!

Keep posts like this coming!

Dave

Comment

Excellent post

Love the way you kept adding stuff to the smoker
                              Cheesy from me too

Did 2 wheels of brie and some cheddar at the weekend.
                              Currently sitting in clingfilm in the workshop fridge.

Also smoked some low fat cheese for use in cheese and marmite snackstix. I pretty much just use the dehydrator for my stix (basic euro's aside). So had the bright idea of using smoked cheese to add that authentic smokey flavout to 'em.

Should work :-)
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X