Decisions, decisions...kokanee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions, decisions...kokanee

Got into some kokes last night. Can't decide if I want to smoke them up or try my hand at canning them. I know I'll need more to make canning worth it....Oh, and picked up a good size tiger trout as well, that wasn't expected
    Attached Files
    MES SS
    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
    Weber Genesis
    Green Mountain Daniel Boone

OK guess I'll "Google" it. But what the hell is that? Don't bother answering... I'll know in 15 seconds.

Damn I'm ignorant on fish. And many other things too... but fish especially.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

First off nice haul!
      Secondly, WTF is a tiger trout?
      Third SMOKE THAT BIG BAD BOY in the first pic. maybe smoke a few others, but then pan fry the rest of those sumbitches!
      for good looking mess 'O fish!

Comment

I DO know sockeye...nice! Smoke 'em... and vac pack. Last long time and excellent!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Fresh water Landlocked Sockeye I do believe.... Excellent eating bright Red flesh.... Try smoking then canning, Awesome!
          Last edited by Fishawn; 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            OK guess I'll "Google" it. But what the hell is that? Don't bother answering... I'll know in 15 seconds.

Brown trout eggs, brook trout gravy= tiger trout.

They are a hybrid and sterile... Assuming you are asking about the tiger trout, not the kokanee.
            MES SS
            Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
            Weber Genesis

Comment

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of either myself.

Comment

cure and cold smoke the fillets from the big one and butterfly fillet, brine and hot smoke the others

Looks like good fishing too
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I just asked and did the same thing! Purdy fish! We don't have them in these parts.

Comment

Think I'm going to fillet the tiger, cut the kokes in half and throw in a wet brine overnight.... into the smoker in the morning. I've smoked alot of trout but not so much with kokanee.
                    I do plan on smoking/canning in the future, especially since I found the little suckers this year ....But friends/family caught wind of my catch and are begging for gifts.
                    MES SS
                    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                    Weber Genesis

Comment

Gonna be right good! Louie would hafta have a oak fire & do one or two over hot coals!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

not so ignorant, and i thought i knew of every gamefish in north america, but was a first for me too.
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                          not so ignorant, and i thought i knew of every gamefish in north america, but was a first for me too.
                          They are pretty rare around here (Western Washington) also E..... I can think of a couple lakes within about 2 hours from my house that have Kokanee in them.... They are good table fare for sure on the BBQ ..... Only smoked them once.
                          sigpic

Comment

At first I was thinking Canadian beer... But, you really can't go wrong smoking a salmon
                            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Got everthing into a brine. I had some left over HM wild river trout brine which had the basics: Salt, brown sugar, and some honey powder. It was missing something last time I used it on some browns so before the smoke I'll probably sprinkle on some more brown sugar and some fresh cracked pepper.

So here's the story...with the fillets...don't always trust folks on the internet Thought I might try a new and easier way to fillet trout as opposed to the normal way I do it and well....the results speak for themselves. Top picture of fillets is the new way, the bottom ones are the way I will continue to do it. Top is a brown I had in the freezer, bottom is the tiger. The rest are the precious kokes, smaller whole with tails and heads removed, larger cut in half.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Mossy; 07-16-2011, 03:24 AM.
                              MES SS
                              Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                              Weber Genesis

Comment

Working...
                              X