• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another CBP thread hopefully with some answers

this came from cooks country feb 08 issue
    the judging was scored on grind quality grind quantity ang adjustibility

Highly Recommended
    Unicorn Magnum Plus Pepper Mill
    Our defending champ wins again for producing an abundance of perfectly ground pepper with minimal effort. "Prodigious," said one impressed tester. Its grind adjuster (attached to the grinding mechanism on the bottom of the mill) is easy to use, though it does not have fixed settings.
    $45.00
    Highly Recommended
    William Bounds ProView Pepper Mill
    Testers loved the "intuitive" grind adjuster with fixed settings and the window at the bottom of the hopper, which allows you to see when you need to refill. While this mill couldn’t keep pace with the output of the Magnum Plus, it produced perfectly uniform pepper at the coarse, medium, and fine settings.
    $39.95
    Recommended
    Peugeot Chateauneuf Adjustable Pepper Mill
    This mill produced a good volume of very uniform pepper at all six fixed settings, but our testers wanted the finely ground pepper to be finer and the coarsely ground to be coarser. At more than twice the price of most other models, it’s a good thing this "straight shooter" mill felt "heavy and solid" and was easy to operate.
    $80.00
    Recommended
    PepperMate Ceramic Blade Pepper Mill
    This unique mill produces an ample quantity of perfectly ground pepper through a range of settings. Its side-twisting lever is "efficient" and minimizes fatigue. Its one drawback is the adjuster mechanism, which is awkwardly located inside the hopper. Testers especially liked the snap-on clear plastic reservoir that catches pepper as you grind.
    $29.95
    Recommended with Reservations
    Vic Firth Gourmet Sierra Cherry Pepper Mill
    This model offers a few improvements to the basic finial-topped design: Its finial has fixed stops, which ensure that you won’t lose your setting—and that the finial won’t fall off when grinding. The directional guide point's users to coarse or fine pepper. However, the hopper is small, and the coarse pepper was not very coarse.
    $39.00
    Recommended with Reservations
    Olde Thompson Wood Senator 8-Inch Pepper Mill
    This is your classic, no-frills, finial-topped pepper mill—a design we’ve never loved, because, as one tester said, "It’s hard to grind when you tighten [the finial], and it falls off when you loosen it." This mill’s finely ground pepper was very nice, but the grind was not uniform at medium and coarse settings.
    $18.17
    Not Recommended
    Trudeau One Hand Pepper Mill
    This is not an efficient pepper mill. The one-hand action looked promising, but the mechanism was "physically tiring" and "annoying." It produced acceptably uniform pepper at fine and medium settings.
    $24.95
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Course ground pepper and cracked black pepper are not the same thing IMO.
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
      Course ground pepper and cracked black pepper are not the same thing IMO.
      what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Terry here
      Still have Christene

Comment

I have not used the grinder Gunny recommended as of yet. I'll try one when I get some "discretionary" dollars. Till then..I crack and use a screen to seperate the sizes should I desire to do so. $20 hand grinder. 2 $5 strainer/screens. Perfect pepper...priceless.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
        X