My Char Griller Pro Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Char Griller Pro Mods

As I stated in my intro posting, I found this forum due to HawgHeaven's Char Grill Pro Mods document. (Found at http://www.hhsbbq.com/CharGrillerMods.pdf)

For those that did not see that post, I was ready to get rid of my Char Griller Pro after struggling with it for 5+ years. I did a few of the cheap quick mods. After the vent tube, flipping the charcoal rack as a make shift baffle, and a better basket for the charcoal my next two smokes were fantastic.

So following the PDF that HawgHeaven so meticulously created I ventured out to other mods. So far I have the vent tube, the wheels and utility hooks done.

Oh the other mod I did today was the removal of a previous mod, I removed the rotisserie attachment, I realized the heat from the charcoal in the main chamber was ruining my seasoned innards and the paint on the bottom of the main chamber.

I have the hardware for a better charcoal basket, the baffle and tuning plates, and the dual 3in temp gauges. Will be looking into better handles soon. Will also plug the holes in the lid from the now removed rotisserie usage.

So first mod that I did the morning of Father's day, made a huge difference the lowering the vent tube.

Today I installed 10" inflatable tires as I keep the smoker in the yard and my lawn is far from level or smooth. The difference I made compared to the previously mention document is I used threaded rods for the axles, this eliminated the the need to drill holes for cotter pins if I had used a non threaded rod.

The last modification for today was the utility hooks, after always struggling with the lack of shelf space for any needed utensils on smoking day this was a no brainer that it was needed. I went ahead and did the hooks for both shelves.

Here is a shot of all the hooks and the wheels.

Up next will be digging into the innards and installing the rails for the tuning plates and installing the baffle, since this grill is used it's going to be messy.

Also wire brushing off any rust spots and giving fresh high temp pain coating on the exterior as I am working on it.

This has turned into a great project to work on with my 5-year-old, he loved helping out today, he installed all the hooks, and the wheels, with just a little tightening of the nuts and bolts by me.
    Attached Files

KOOL!!! I'm glad you found it useful, and thanks for checking out my site!

Got any questions, don't be afraid to ask!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
      KOOL!!! I'm glad you found it useful, and thanks for checking out my site!

Got any questions, don't be afraid to ask!!
      Only question I have at this point is handles, did you ever modify yours with the spring handles? If so just looking for parts that you used, if not no deal it seems to be a pretty simple mod.

Comment

I'd say take a bow, Pop-Pop...but yer pants are ridin' a bit low...

Phil's is the bible on chargriller mods... and he's a member here...AND puts up with us! Er...so far...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man...You gettin after it! Cat Daddy Hawg got you dialed in!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Chukha-Trok View Post
            Only question I have at this point is handles, did you ever modify yours with the spring handles? If so just looking for parts that you used, if not no deal it seems to be a pretty simple mod.
            Yes, I did the spring handle mod on one of the CG's I modded. Unfortunately, I do not have pix of it, butt it is easy to do. Just drill out the existing handle brackets where the wood handles mount... I think I used a 3/8" drill. Turn the brackets 180 degrees from the original mounting positions, then slip a length of threaded rod thru one bracket, hex nut, 6" spring handle, hex nut, the other bracket. Cap both ends with another hex nut or cap nut and tighten.

Hope that makes sense...

BTW, handles can be had from ebay, etc...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Yes, I did the spring handle mod on one of the CG's I modded. Unfortunately, I do not have pix of it, butt it is easy to do. Just drill out the existing handle brackets where the wood handles mount... I think I used a 3/8" drill. Turn the brackets 180 degrees from the original mounting positions, then slip a length of threaded rod thru one bracket, hex nut, 6" spring handle, hex nut, the other bracket. Cap both ends with another hex nut or cap nut and tighten.

Hope that makes sense...

BTW, handles can be had from ebay, etc...
              PErfect sense I was going to try ebay for the handles unless you had a specific source THANKS!

Comment

PErfect sense I was going to try ebay for the handles unless you had a specific source THANKS!
                Let me look... hold on.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Here's one... not the guy I bought from... can't find that link.

http://bbqstuff4u.com/

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

You can get spring handles here also.

http://www.kck.com/bbq_pit_spring_ha...ood_stove.html
                    sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle
                    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Nice work..... I'm thinking you gonna have a nice unit
                      sigpic

Comment

awesome job! ya know... after seeing so many threads like these (super-simple mods to cheap smokers), it really surprises me that more manufacturers don't do simple things like this right out of the box... the flue for example: you have to install one anyway, so why not just mount it lower? or at least offer kits ro help add things like wheels, hooks, different handles, etc?
                        Current babies:
                        -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                        -RichTee's Lang :)
                        Former Lineup:
                        -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                        -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                        -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                        BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

3rd round of mods

So today until the heat became too much, I did some more work on the grill.

Installed the duel gauges.

And I did a new basket with expanded metal.

I also installed the rails for the baffle/tuning plates.

Last night I ordered spring handles to replace the splitting wood ones. Found some 8 inch wide ones so I won't need to rotate the handle mounts.

Question for the group.

On the tuning plates and the baffle I have access to real cheap, more like free Aluminum. It is a heavier gauge not sure exactly but it is probably 3/32nd's of an inch thick. The benefits of the aluminum not rusting is very tempting but I am unsure if the lower melting point of the metal is capable of handling the use.

Has any one else used aluminum for this purpose? If so what was the outcome. I am tempted to trying it since it is free, but if it doesn't work I do not want to have to redo the work, especially the hinged baffle.

Thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

On the tuning plates and the baffle I have access to real cheap, more like free Aluminum. It is a heavier gauge not sure exactly but it is probably 3/32nd's of an inch thick. The benefits of the aluminum not rusting is very tempting but I am unsure if the lower melting point of the metal is capable of handling the use.

Has any one else used aluminum for this purpose? If so what was the outcome. I am tempted to trying it since it is free, but if it doesn't work I do not want to have to redo the work, especially the hinged baffle.
                            I also used Phil's mod PDF as a guide to make my SnP a much better smoker. I used 1/8" steel for the tuning plates.

I did not hinge the baffle but cut it to fit and just laid it in the bottom.

This picture shows 4 plates but I only use the 3 larger ones.

If you cook with it enough, you won't have to worry about them rusting.

You want something fairly heavy so that it retains enough heat to help with recovery time. I would think that aluminum wouldn't help much as a heat sink.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                              You want something fairly heavy so that it retains enough heat to help with recovery time. I would think that aluminum wouldn't help much as a heat sink.

Dave
                              I agree... aluminum sucks as a heat sink... too light and not nearly dense enough. However, it would hold up just fine i think. Alum melting point is typically around 1200-1250 depending on the exact alloy. if your smoker ever gets up that high with food in it, the melted alum will be the least of your concerns. lol.

Later,
                              Andy
                              Current babies:
                              -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                              -RichTee's Lang :)
                              Former Lineup:
                              -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                              -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                              -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                              -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                              BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Working...
                              X