Question about canning Sun Dried Tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about canning Sun Dried Tomatoes

I am growing San Marzano tomatoes this year with plans on canning some sauces and in particular, sun dried tomatoes. I plan to can some of the sdt's in olive oil but have a question or two. Hopefully someone here has some experience with this.

Once the tomatoes are dried do I just pack them in a jar w/ evoo and boil the jars like normal canning or is there something special you have to do i.e. do I have to heat the oil beforehand?

We'll start with that and see what other questions I come up with.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, I too am wanting to do this with some Amish Paste maters this year. All the info I have found on this states that the home canning of maters in oil is best left up to the facilities that have the proper equipment to do it. All sites that I have checked out simply state to dry the maters then pack in oil or oil and herbs when needed in a clean jar and set aside in a cool dark place for a few weeks before use.

Must be something to do with the oil? Irish Chef might be able to help on this one.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I've never canned dried tomatoes, but I did find this after doing a google search. Now you've got me thinking.

Sun-dried tomatoes
      Olive oil to cover
      1 Tbs. Capers per jar
      1 Tbs. Garlic chopped fine per jar
      1 Tbs. Parsley or any other fresh herb (s) minced per jar

Fill sterilized Mason jar with sun-dried tomatoes, capers, garlic and chopped herbs. Cover with Olive Oil. Cover with a sterilized lid and screw band. Set on a counter for two weeks.

Use as an appetizer; add to homemade pizza or garlic bread, or use in any recipe that calls for sun-dried tomatoes.

(Note: recipe makes as many jars as you have sun-dried tomatoes because you simply add 1 Tbs. each of the other ingredients and then cover completely with olive oil.)

NOTE: Unless you are making more than a jar or two, you don’t have to process this. For large batches, I would process these in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
        I've never canned dried tomatoes, but I did find this after doing a google search. Now you've got me thinking.

Sun-dried tomatoes
        Olive oil to cover
        1 Tbs. Capers per jar
        1 Tbs. Garlic chopped fine per jar
        1 Tbs. Parsley or any other fresh herb (s) minced per jar

Fill sterilized Mason jar with sun-dried tomatoes, capers, garlic and chopped herbs. Cover with Olive Oil. Cover with a sterilized lid and screw band. Set on a counter for two weeks.

Use as an appetizer; add to homemade pizza or garlic bread, or use in any recipe that calls for sun-dried tomatoes.

(Note: recipe makes as many jars as you have sun-dried tomatoes because you simply add 1 Tbs. each of the other ingredients and then cover completely with olive oil.)

NOTE: Unless you are making more than a jar or two, you don’t have to process this. For large batches, I would process these in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
        Atta Boy, Bassman!!! Just so happens I have maters...you have a dryer... may we should get together ..

Comment

I would approach that cautiously, and do a bit more research. There are some things you CANNOT oil pack without using preservatives in the oil, and onions and garlic are the ones that come to mind the most. The deal is that oil creates an anaerobic environment that is conducive to C.Bot spore formation. Not sure about the SD tomatoes in a home canning environment. Should be safe if you pressure can, not too sure about water bath though. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a linky to a pdf from UC Davis on storage of garlic that has some advice on its use in oil
          Last edited by IrishChef; 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM. Reason: added link
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I've never canned dried tomatoes, but I did find this after doing a google search. Now you've got me thinking.:whistle
            I did find that exact recipe on it, but it was the only one I found where it mentioned anything for home canning these. All other sites I found say no.

Just came across a extension site from the U of Illinois stating, "Commercially prepared sun-dried tomatoes in oil have been treated to prevent bacteria growth."

Just my opinion, but I would personally treat these on a "as needed" basis. Make up a bunch of dried maters and store them. Make a jar or two of them packed in oil and in the fridge and start a new one when needed. Not only for the safety aspect of it, but also for the work involved in preparing them should they spoil.

Like the Illinois extension agency said, they are "treated". Treated with what, I have no idea. Might be something simple that one can do. Gonna have to look into that now.
            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Great info guys. THanks for looking it up fopr me while I am working!!

Maybe I will just dry the tomatoes, vac seal them, store in the freezer and oil them as needed for home use.

Sounds good and safe to me!

Thanks again.

Dave

Comment

I freeze the SDM's and pull them out as needed. I some times cold smoke them with EVOO and basil after drying then freeze. I've used them on several pizzas, really good, just a hint of smoke.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Good suggestions guys; Yeah I was trying to find it on the USDA web page this AM and they didn't cover it at all(that I could see) I would think the freeze and use as needed would be a much more versatile technique as well as safer.
                  JT

Comment

Sooo..why would not one just sun-dry and vac-pak? Freeze or fridge until needed? Seems they go a Loooong time...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Sooo..why would not one just sun-dry and vac-pak? Freeze or fridge until needed? Seems they go a Loooong time...
                      I didn't sun dry, but a few years ago we dried several bushel of tomatoes in the dehydrator. Just put in zip locks and froze. Took two years to use them up but they were damn good.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I didn't sun dry, but a few years ago we dried several bushel of tomatoes in the dehydrator. Just put in zip locks and froze. Took two years to use them up but they were damn good.
                        The dehydrator counts as "sun dried" it's all good!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

My mother uses Roma tomatoes,,, cuts them in half lengthwise,,, scoops out most of the seeds with her finger,,, puts then on a baking sheet covers with evoo and Italian spices,,, bakes for a copple of hours at 275,,, when they look right she fills steral jars with the hot tomatoes and all the dripings from the sheet and covers them,,, they almost always seal and there are great,,, she is 86

Comment

Personally Dave, I would just vacuum seal those puppies and freeze them. It won't take long to jazz them up with garlic and oil when you pull them out, and will be much, much safer.
                            sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                              Personally Dave, I would just vacuum seal those puppies and freeze them. It won't take long to jazz them up with garlic and oil when you pull them out, and will be much, much safer.
                              That's what I am planning on doing. Not even really that concerned with jazzing them up beyond just oiling them and even that I won't likely do every time.

Thanks again guys!!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X