Spicy Almonds and Sweet Onion Smoke Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spicy Almonds and Sweet Onion Smoke Out

My father-in-law came for a visit today, and mentioned he likes almonds, so I suggested we smoke some almonds. I was fresh out of smoked onions, so I decided to do some of those, too. It's always a good idea to have smoked onions on hand, they go great in so many things!

Here's today's lineup:

My father-in-law wanted his almonds smoked straight, so I did his without any seasonings.

I like my almonds spicy, so I used the recipe I got from Scarbelly.

2 TBS Butter
    2 TBS + T Tsp Tabasco
    1.5 Tsp Worstehire
    .5 Tsp Dry Mustard
    .75 Tsp Garlic Powder
    .75 granulated salt
    2 Cups Raw Almonds

I assembled these ingredients, and I thought I was all squared away.

Then, quite unexpectedly, a problem arose. See that little container of dry mustard? It was just about empty. Who the hell puts an empty spice container back in the cupboard? Ok, so what am I going to do now?

I rummage around in the cupboard and I find the Chinese Hot Mustard. Hmmmm.... will this work? I know it's way hotter than regular dry mustard, but maybe if I use like half the amount called for, it might work. I figure, what the hey, might as well give it a go. I mixed up the marinade and let those almonds start to soak it in.

While my nuts were marinating, I got to work on the onions. Usually I smoke them whole, but today I decided to halve and score them so they would absorb more smoke.

Here's the onions and nuts in the smoker.

I smoked the onions and the nuts for 90 minutes. My father in law said his batch was fine.

I tasted the spicy nuts and, whoa, those suckers were HOT. You know that really good kind of hot where your mouth starts to burn and you the more you eat, the more the heat builds up? The kind of heat where you start to think, hey, I'm gonna need a whole lot more of these nuts and some beers? That's what deez nuts were all about!

Here are the onions coming off:

Chop chop:

Vac sealed:

Don't have an exact plan in place for those onions at the moment, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

I DO have a plan for the spicy almonds, tho! Gonna be good snacking over here this week!
    sigpic

Thats really nice!.... I have made Scarbelly's smoked nuts before & they rock..... Great for beer drinking for sure.... Never did the onion smoke for storage, but I think you on it.... .They could be used in lotsa stuff..... Fridge or freezer on storage ? ....... Nice post
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Fishawn! I'm freezing a couple of the vac sealed bags to use later, and saved some in a zip lock to keep on hand in the fridge.

I've been half way thinking of making some charro beans, and those smoked onions would work well in those (or any beans). If I could get my hands on some good chorizo, I'd be in business.

You can sneak those smoked onions into so many things. They're great in tuna or chicken salad. Hamburgers. Meatloaf. I've used them in sausage gravy, too.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Thats really nice!.... I have made Scarbelly's smoked nuts before & they rock..... Great for beer drinking for sure.... Never did the onion smoke for storage, but I think you on it.... .They could be used in lotsa stuff..... Fridge or freezer on storage ? ....... Nice post
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wntrlnd77 View Post
        Thanks, Fishawn! I'm freezing a couple of the vac sealed bags to use later, and saved some in a zip lock to keep on hand in the fridge.

I've been half way thinking of making some charro beans, and those smoked onions would work well in those (or any beans). If I could get my hands on some good chorizo, I'd be in business.

You can sneak those smoked onions into so many things. They're great in tuna or chicken salad. Hamburgers. Meatloaf. I've used them in sausage gravy, too.
        .... Great ideas on the onions.... Smoked onion dip would fit in with that crowd also I think..... YUM.... thanks for the post, never thought about smoking a bunch to stock up on... They look great
        sigpic

Comment

bet them onions be good on top of a pizza with some other choice toppings...
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the comment, erain!

& you are absolutely right about using those smoked onions as a pizza topping.

as a matter of fact, i was planning on using some for my pizza last week when i discovered i was out. that's what led me to smoke a bunch yesterday.

Originally posted by erain View Post
            bet them onions be good on top of a pizza with some other choice toppings...
            sigpic

Comment

Great job on the smoke. Love the nutz and onions.

I use smoked onions to make tartar sauce for fried fish and crabcakes.

Some mayo, sweet relish, lemon juice,chopped smoked onion,cbb, and a few capers (if you like em) !
              "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Very nice! Almonds look great!

Hey... any chance ya could resize those pix to 600X800? It sux scrolling to see ALL the delicious food!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looking great all around. I love the onions. I am thinking stuffed burgers and a fattie would really enjoy getting some of those.
                  Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by wntrlnd77 View Post
                    While my nuts were marinating,...
                    Another great quote for if & when the sig lines return
                    Great job on the nutz & the onions.
                    If your camera has the ability to shoot in 640X480 that's the perfect size for uploading to Photobucket (if you use that). Uploading to the same size takes about 2 seconds per pic.
                    sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle
                    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Oh I must smoke me some of this stuff. I have never done nut's or onions....thanks for idea's and here are some from me
                      Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

"While my nuts were marinating,"

How long did you marinate ? what temp was the smoker running ? I want to try this ....
                        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                        Weber 22.5" WSM
                        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        Pit Barrel Cooker
                        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                        The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                          How long did you marinate ? what temp was the smoker running ? I want to try this ....
                          Kinda curious about the temp also? Looks like the onions took some heat but not too much.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                            "While my nuts were marinating,"

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                            Kinda curious about the temp also? Looks like the onions took some heat but not too much.
                            Inquiring minds want to know. Including me! Definitely want to try the onions.
                            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

a good well done on both the nuts and onions, sorry i am all pointed out for the day so i'll have to give you

take care
                              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X