Ceviche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceviche

Here is a nice alternative meal for these hot days and nights we've been having lately. I originally posted this over at Foods Of The World but thought it would be appropriate here as well.

It seems there is a never ending debate about ceviche, or cebiche, or seviche....not only how to spell it and pronounce it, but where and how it originated and which local recipe is the best. Civilizations from Polynesia to Spain all claim some responsibility for this wonderful creation, but I tend to believe that South America, specifically Peru and Ecuador are the front runners.

Some say the Spaniards (who introduced citrus to Mexico and South America) developed ceviche as a way to cook fish and stop scurvy at the same time on long voyages. Others will aver that Peruvian fishermen used citrus to eat part of their fresh catch while still out at sea.

No matter...the recipes are as diverse as the local populace, and the local flora and fishes.

I apologize for not having more pictures of this dish, but you must realize that I made it on a whim, and just as an experiment. As I was not sure how it would come out...I failed to document every step. Shame on me! Well, I wish I had made more...this stuff was terrific!

CEVICHE
    (seh-BEE-chay)

4 ounces bay scallops
    4 ounces sole...(1 fillet)
    ½ red onion, julienned
    1 pickling cucumber, peeled, deseeded and julienned
    8 hot peppadews julienned
    1 wedge of preserved lemon (rind only) minced
    2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
    ½ cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
    juice of 1 orange
    1/2 tsp sea salt ( 2 good pinches)

Wash and carefully pat dry fish and scallops. Cut the fillet into strips.
    Place seafood in a non-reactive bowl and cover with juice. Add remaining ingredients, toss and let marinate for 20-25 minutes, making sure the seafood is covered with juice.

Remove from liquid after 25 minutes, plate and serve.
    Some people serve with the juice, known as "tiger's milk"..I prefer it drained because the fish texture will deteriorate if marinated too long.
    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Looks pretty good.

Seen fish 'cooked' like this before - presumably those are pretty small scallops ? the ines I buy would need to be sliced i think.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I have had tuna like this... it was pretty good. Sure looks pretty too.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great picture. I'm not big on seafood, but I might would try that. Great job Hoser!

Comment

I am all over that Hoser....Very fine eats ... for sure

Comment

That sure looks good! First time I had it, we caught some baraccuda while on our way to a reef for some diving off the tip of Yucatan. While we were down looking for bugs, the boat driver made a batch of Ceviche for our lunch. Stuff was amazing. Not sure if it was because it was so fresh or not, but never had anything like it since then.
            BBQ catering
            Competition BBQ team
            "Practical BBQ" Author

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              Looks pretty good.

Seen fish 'cooked' like this before - presumably those are pretty small scallops ? the ines I buy would need to be sliced i think.
              If you have bay scallops CA, you can use them whole...the larger sea scallops I would definitely slice into three or four pieces.
              sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Looks great, nice and coooool! I have a recipe for scallops and shrimp, have to get on it!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Never had it with Scallops...Friend's wife is from Central America...she made it at her Restraunt in Destin...Was dern good!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Had scallops done like that Hoser... excellent! Thanks for sharing this!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

thats a fine lookin summer dish
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X