Canning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Question

I read a lot about using only tried and proven recipes when canning but is there a rule of thumb that "if you process for this amount of time no mater what is in the jar it will be safe."?

Let take vegetable juice for example. I want to add the ingredient I want and not follow a recipe. Is there a process time(be it water bath or pressure)that would be acceptable?
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

I would think not. I'm looking at my canning book and it's different for every juice. Different process for every one.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
      I would think not. I'm looking at my canning book and it's different for every juice. Different process for every one.
      Well, I don't know jack about canning, but if you followed meat canning specs... come on... ain't that gonna cover whatever?

Might destroy any quality in your product, but By God..it'll be safe.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Well, I don't know jack about canning, but if you followed meat canning specs... come on... ain't that gonna cover whatever?

Might destroy any quality in your product, but By God..it'll be safe.
        That's what I'm getting at. Most recipes call for 20 - 30 minutes of processing. So if I go the 30 I would think it'd be ok. Not going to hurt tomatoes much by over processing.
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane
        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

I'm not an expert here by any means, just happened to have the book in front of me. Both the prep/additives method and boiling time/pressure (weight) cooking times are different for every item. But I'm am not an expert and err on the side of caution. Someone more knowledge will be along.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

You said you want to add an ingredient that is NOT in the recipe? Sometimes that is allowed, other times not. Depends on what the ingredient is.

I would consult one of the many University extension agencies that deal with home canning. Many times they will list acceptable swaps as far as ingredients go. As far as a universal processing time, no, there is not one.
            It all has to do with the ph of a product.

If you one wanted to make homemade spaghetti sauce, there are many recipes online to safely do so. However, if one wanted to add Olive Oil to the recipe, there is no safe time recommended by the USDA for doing so for the home canner.

Best to either stick with a proven method or seek out one of the ext offices and see what is acceptable to use in place of one ingredient or another.
            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I'm on the road and don't have anything to refer to, but I wanna say meat n fish is 90 minutes @ 10#. Are you thinking of adding meat Lou? Or just veggies?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                I read a lot about using only tried and proven recipes when canning but is there a rule of thumb that "if you process for this amount of time no mater what is in the jar it will be safe."?

Let take vegetable juice for example. I want to add the ingredient I want and not follow a recipe. Is there a process time(be it water bath or pressure)that would be acceptable?
                No for sure on the water bath process. Anything processed in a water bath canner must an additional means of preservation, such as acidity, to inhibit spore germination. Pressure canning relies upon heat and pressure to kill/denature spores. There maybe a magic time/pressure number for a pressure canner, but I am not aware of what it may be, as I don't do any pressure canning.
                This is a good reference, and has recipes and charts for all different canning processes:
                http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...ions_usda.html
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post

I think it would depend on the amount of low acid vegetables in the juice IC...almost all low acid foods have to be processed in a pressure cooker for over an hour. Most recipes I have seen call for at least 90 minutes at ten pounds pressure for low acid items.

I would encourage you to do a bit more research before embarking on this endeavor, just to make sure.
                  sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                    I think it would depend on the amount of low acid vegetables in the juice IC...almost all low acid foods have to be processed in a pressure cooker for over an hour. Most recipes I have seen call for at least 90 minutes at ten pounds pressure for low acid items.

I would encourage you to do a bit more research before embarking on this endeavor, just to make sure.
                    I've got a ball canning book from the early 50's and it seems like they make some broad generalizations in that one. I've done a lot of experimenting and came to the same conclusion about 90 min @ 10lbs. All that having been said; this was before I joined this site and heard all the warnings about recipes. In hindsight I wonder about the wisdom of using a 60 year old book for guidance Ah well, I used to jump the sandtraps at the local golf course in my Dads Datsun B210 too
                    JT

Comment

I don't remember where I saw it and can't find it again, but I read that when making vegetable juices it is unsafe to add more than a certain percent ratio tomato to other veggies(ie70/30 or 80/20). It might have been in one of the university extensions

Comment

Originally posted by Jimr View Post
                        I don't remember where I saw it and can't find it again, but I read that when making vegetable juices it is unsafe to add more than a certain percent ratio tomato to other veggies(ie70/30 or 80/20). It might have been in one of the university extensions
                        As mentioned by Hoser, it has to do with the amount of acid in what you are canning. The tomatoes add the acid component to the mix, which is a necessity for water bath processing. If the juice is processed using a pressure canner, there is a bit more room for variation.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                          As mentioned by Hoser, it has to do with the amount of acid in what you are canning. The tomatoes add the acid component to the mix, which is a necessity for water bath processing. If the juice is processed using a pressure canner, there is a bit more room for variation.
                          But you still need to add lemon juice or citric acid. The amount????
                          Depends.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                            But you still need to add lemon juice or citric acid. The amount????
                            Depends.
                            OK, in a nutshell, when you water bath can something, there has to be something that will inhibit germination of C.bot spores. In this case, its an acid, and the equalibrium pH would need to be 4.6 or less. There is no set way to just tell you how much to add. That is why a proven, safe recipe/procedure must be followed, unless you have access to a quality pH meter, and know how to properly use it. That would allow you to work up a recipe, and test it. I would strongly advise against pH test paper/strips. They tend to be erratic, depending on age and storage conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                              OK, in a nutshell, when you water bath can something, there has to be something that will inhibit germination of C.bot spores. In this case, its an acid, and the equalibrium pH would need to be 4.6 or less. There is no set way to just tell you how much to add. That is why a proven, safe recipe/procedure must be followed, unless you have access to a quality pH meter, and know how to properly use it. That would allow you to work up a recipe, and test it. I would strongly advise against pH test paper/strips. They tend to be erratic, depending on age and storage conditions.
                              My point was if it's not in the recipe I don't know, so I won't do it!
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X