Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its Easter ....

What is everyone doing for Easter??

Is a 27 lb turkey to large to smoke?? any input is appreciated!!!
    Thanks! Happy smokes to all!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

I've always heard that 14 lbs is the limit.
    Maybe spatchcock it. That's removing the back and breast bones, and lay it flat.
    There are some really good video tutorials on YouTube for spatchcocking birds.

Tom

Comment

This one should ferret out WD..I think he did a 20# +.... But damn near 30...WOW..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        I've always heard that 14 lbs is the limit.
        Maybe spatchcock it. That's removing the back and breast bones, and lay it flat.
        There are some really good video tutorials on YouTube for spatchcocking birds.
        I think a spatchcock would be mandatory. Even oven cooked would be tough to keep outta the danger zone on that monster. And DO keep it out. Assume poultry is contaminated from the get-go.

Use heavy shears and cut the spine right outta that sucker...simmer that for the gravy.

On edit...moving to poultry forum..where you'll find some basic rules... covering some of this.
        Last edited by Richtee; 04-09-2009, 09:28 PM.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Darlin trade that in fer two 13's! I just don't know, maybe smoke at 350* an spatch it, but that one be perty risky. I ain't sure I'd even try it, but then again ifin ya already own it, I suppose ya could split it plum in two an do the two halves, then yer in the 12 - 13 pound range.

How ya gonna prep it? Just curious.

Were doin a 13 pounder fer Easter two, already et the ham!
          sigpic

Comment

Wow thats huge. I would listen to everyone one this smoke. what a monster!!!!!

Comment

i don't see a prod if you spatch it then it will be like two 13# nobody would think twice about two 13# i say go for it
              Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Either way you decide to do it, it's mandatory that you post pics!
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

spatchcock 4 sure.
                  i'm doing pulled pork & ribs for the wife's work -she's working the wkend.
                  brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                  18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                  cast iron Hibachi
                  22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                  & rotisserator
                  12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                  stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                  Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                  http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                  my music recordings-
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

I've done 24lbers before, no problems... brined and smoked at 325 till done... put foil over the breast once I got the color I wanted on it...

sigpic

Comment

Sir Rich thank you for moving.

Thanks for all the advice. Spatched sounds like the way to go I don't want to ruin everyones Easter, that would be awful.. I have never done a spatched anything so this should be really interesting... pictures to follow.

Tip I am going to brine her in some white wine (two buck chuck chardonnay)
                      garlic and maybe some rosemary.. I will post that too once I get her in it.

Thank you all again!

Comment

You spatchcock that bird, I bet it will look like a condor on the grill...
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Keep an eye on them finners while yer spatchin too! Don't wanna call ya "six fingers" !
                          sigpic

Comment

Consider some celery seed/powder, onion, and thyme as well. Classic bird spice. Some even like a bit of ground bay in the brine.

And remember..flavors in a brine need to quite potent to translate into the meat. Don't skimp on spice!
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Here is the beast..

I did a basic brine wiht white wine, rosemary and mango...
                              Kind of unconventional bucket but it was to big for my normal brining bucket...

Tip thanks for the heads up on watching my digits! I have never spatchcocked anything before so this was quite the feat... You shoul dhave seen my wrestling with this monster.. cabana boy thought it was quite funny although offered no help as the smell of raw poultry makes him gag..
                              Here the beast is after spatchcocking..

We decided at the last minute to throw a small prime rib on as well, all rubbed with some rub I got from GREAT LAKES BBQ supply.. really yummy stuff!

here was the line up of the bbqs

the carne asada...

here is a pix of all the food.. except the prime rib it was being cut at the time.. there is a little bit there on the plate but you can't see the smoke ring.

Thanks for all your help, I could not have pulled this off with out you all.
                              Thanks for peeking!

Comment

Working...
                              X