Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork, abts, stuffed mushrooms and a moan about 'customers' :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled pork, abts, stuffed mushrooms and a moan about 'customers' :-)

So this woman rings up monday, computer blue screening could I go look at it.
    Sure. She couldn't do tuesday so books me for wednesday lunchtime.

I turn up today. Knock on the door and get met with a blank look.
    'I'm Alex johnson, the computer bloke' (it's my alter ego, Shhhh)
    'Oh someone's already taken it away - I suppose I should have phoned you''
    'Yes you should have. Don't call me in the future.'
    Hell I figured I did well staying civil.

I was not a happy bunny, thoroughly pissed off is the relevant phrase.
    2 days, how the bhell can you book someone on monday for wednesday, forget call someone else and not bother calling the first person to not come. All i can say is it'sa good job I never took up professional arson

So off I goes to do a bit of retail therapy (yes girls blokes do it too lol)
    In my case I came back with some big muchrooms, 2 pork shoulder joints, some prosciutto, mangos and an electric fly swat shaped like a tennis racquet (boys toys lol - well it was either that or a usb microscope - but I figured i'd wait for them to drop in price as the shops had them for a while)

First week of the summer holidays so things are pretty quiet at the moment. Figured I'd smoke food today make sausage tomorrow and snacksticks friday.

So on the smoker at the moment are the two shoulder joints and some mango and prosciutto abts.
    I've already made some chapatti's (kind of wholmeal wheat flour tortillas)
    And just decided I'll stuff the mushrooms with a mix of chopped onion, moroccan seasoned couscous and some mexicana (cheddar with chillis in) cheese.

shoulders are slightly different sizes the bigger one on the top. Both are runing at the exact same temps

Going to run them to 170 before foiling with apple juice, want to get some serious bark and smoke before the steam and tenderise part.
    Probably take them to 195 in the foil.
    Using lilac wood on the charcoal and MH & ketchup on the pork :-)

More later - gonna turn the tray of abts round now :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

That looks like it would make a nice meal or two!!!
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      In my case I came back with some big muchrooms,
      Hahaha..Alex made a funny! I get it! Hah! BIG MUCHROOMS!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That looks really great CA
        Chargriller Pro w. sfb
        Ducane 4100 propane grill
        Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

That woman is lucky, some companies will charge for a service call anyway, and rightfully so.

Regarding boys' toys, my wife really enjoys her electric fly swatter. She is very good with it - she will get three or four to my one!

It looks like you're working out the day's stress, though. I know I always feel better after a good creative cooking session, not to mention a satisfying eating session!

Comment

Hang in there mate.... Send her a bill
            sigpic

Comment

well currently got a dual stall at 154, so given the extra time in the smoke I'll probably foil at 160 after all lol

Here's the much rooms (lol unintentional typo pun there )
              Stuffed. Used, ainsleys cous cous mix, chopped sweet pepper, the muchroom stalks, pack of powdered egg white for binding, some grated mexacana cheese, chopped onion, pepper, some powdered garlic and a couple of tbs hot water.

Topped with more grated mex.

Going to put them in when the pork gets foiled for a nice slow cook.
              Abts almost ready to come out, Mmmm...

That woman is lucky, some companies will charge for a service call anyway, and rightfully so.
              Yeah, it's something I don't do. It is extremely rare for this to happen. But still pisses you off at the selfishness and stupidity of some people.

Never mind foods looking good - got a whole bunch of new fillms to watch, currently writing to dvd. On my own for the next 5 days - all things considered, life is pretty good :-)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM.
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Hang in there mate.... Send her a bill
                I'd bill 'em $35. Service call only, no labor. Or..2 "pounds" Preferably right hooks.
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

had already told her I don't charge for call out - or I'd have been tempted.

Right well abts got a little crispy - taste okay though (teach me to post and cook at the same time lol)

Pork about ready for foil.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM.
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    had already told her I don't charge for call out - or I'd have been tempted.
                    in my van/"lorry" $35 is about break even. No Charge

Comment

Looking good, Alex! Love the stuff muchrooms!

Originally posted by Slash View Post
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

mushies in, pork foiled. Abts half eaten - saving rest for lunch tomorrow.

Just vacced a bunch of smoked brie & cheddar to go into the freezer. I'm also producing a bunch of qi-gong dvds for my tai chi teacher - do enough and it's pretty good money. So I'm not quite as idle as I sound lol

So, you may be wondering, how do you vacumn pack a real soft cheese like a ripe brie without it smooshing all over the vacumn pouch ?

Easy, wrap it tight in clingfilm first and it holds it shape. Also is one of the very best cheeses for freezing as defrosts better than when it got frozen :-)
                        This stuff is just shy of being a thick liquid, had 5 hours of oak and about 3 weeks in the fridge to mature and absorb the smoke from the rind. Firms up slightly after being frozen so you can really let it ripen before cutting and freezing. This particular brie is a world cheese awards gold medal winning french brand. Comes in 2.2 lb wheels from costco.
                        You do need to buy whole wheels to smoke it though. Pretty sure it would just melt otherwise, the centre always feels pretty liquid when I take the wheels (very carefully) out of the smoker.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM.
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Alex, that all looks fantabulous!! And I too love the muchrooms...

Great job, and the woman is very lucky you are who you are!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Well the wasted trip sucks but on the bright side I'll take the blue smoke over the blue screen any day. Just saying

Comment

Awesome smoking ya got going own Alex! Everything looks fantastic, I'm glad you are one of those guys who admits he goes shopping when he gets emotional. Long as it wasn't for shoes and a matching "man" bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X