Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chick-n-Chuck

I like that title

Moving on.....Weekend is here, haven't smoked anything in a while. Got a good deal on some chuckies the other day and decided to smoke a couple. Along with the Chuckie, we tossed in a few leg quarters from the birds we processed last month.

Chicken first. Years ago, when the wife and I were in the restaurant business, one of our best sellers was a margarita chicken breast. I found some margarita mix that the wife bought some time ago and mixed it with some tequila that I had stashed. Didn't have any triple sec to go with it so just the 2 ingredients. I made up approx 1 quart of it and to this I added roughly 1/8 C kosher salt. Mixed well, into a gallon zip loc, chicken added and over night in the fridge.

No pics of the bird on the smoker but I let them sit on there running at 225 for around 2 1/2 hours. Off the smoker and onto the grill where they got a good basting of the above mixture plus I added a bit of Sugar in the raw and some black pepper.

Chicken had a nice soft smokiness to it, and really absorbed the margarita mix well. The basting gave the outside a good glaze. Skin, nice and crunchy, the way nature intended.

The before.

The after.

Moving on to Chuck.
    I can't remember if I have ever done a chuckie before. If I have, it must not have been anything to rave about

Decided to go a different route on this, as to say what I would do with a brisket.

The rub, just a basic mix, equal amounts of granulated garlic, black pepper, paprika and salt. Rubbed that in, stuck in zip lock bags and into the fridge overnight. Onto the smoker this morning around 10. Around the 4 hour mark, I started spritzing it every 30-45 min with a mix of Worcestershire and water mixed 50/50. (Pretty much took this out of the sticky under Capt. Dan Chuckie)

When it hit 165 degrees, into a foil pan and sealed with foil. Pulled off the smoker at an internal of 205. Let sit for 30 minutes and shredded.

This was by far, better than any brisket I have ever done. Don't know if it is the cut of meat, but it will be hard to do a brisket again if given the choice.

Naked.

Rubbed.

A few hours in, getting a spritz of watered down Worcestershire.

After the rest.

Shredded.

Got about 1 1/2 C of liquid gold that is separating now and will add that to the meat. Gotta rank this as one of the top tasting smokes I have done so far. If I would have known it was gonna come out this good, I would have bought a few more of them chuckies

Thanks for checkin out my smoke. I'll be answering questions and signing autographs later......
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Oh yea , that look good! You got on it Cat Daddy! And on the Weber...you know that makes you a Webehoe too!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Good looking eats, Todd. You could even call it your Chuck-N-Cluck.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

now there a week end smoke pass a plate this way please
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
          Thats what I was thinking haha but it looked good either way!

Comment

Great idea with the rita marinaded chicken I have yet to pull a chuckie might have to do soon...Great cook please pass the plate

Comment

Margarita chicken? Might have to try that one.
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Nice title and food :{) Chuckies are kinda under-rated IMO. They one of the best beef smokes there is!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hell yeah! I'm a card carrying member of the chuckie fan club. You rocked it!
                  Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
                  Weber Performer
                  Weber 22.5" OTG
                  Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
                  Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
                  Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
                  BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                    Damn, why didn't I think of that??? Good call Keith.

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                    Margarita chicken? Might have to try that one.
                    I highly recommend you give it a shot. We also used the Margarita chicken breasts sliced and served across one of our large salads.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Nice title and food :{) Chuckies are kinda under-rated IMO. They one of the best beef smokes there is!
                    Was just talking with the wench about these. I don't know what the difference is cost wise pound per pound between the two, (brisky and chuckies), but it seems like the chuckies yielded more in the end than brisket. I don't know, maybe it just seemed like that but when I do brisket, I start with a big chunk of meat, and get back a smaller piece of meat LOL.

Thanks to all for the comments/compliments.
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

ever since seboke made that hellasuos smoke on the buttes and chucks. I have done a couple cause of it. and your post of your byrds and chucks made my mouth drool again. they are awesome looking.
                      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Nice looking smokes! Great color and crispness ya got on those quarters.
                        Thanks for sharing
                        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

MH NICE MULTIPLE! Great color on the birds... love the pc! I need an autograph now!

Ry, nice Avi! Come on do tell where did you get that photo? ;) lol

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Well done! I love those chuckies always moist and tender unless you really screw up big time!
                            Smokers:
                            ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                            SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                            River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Working...
                            X