Hunky Blackened Mahi-Mahi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunky Blackened Mahi-Mahi

A rare worknight cook for me last night. Quickly fired up the kettle with RO lump, and set a cast iron skillet on the grate. I also tossed a chunk of hickory on the grate to slowly smoke for some flavor.

I had some fish to work with and I wanted to do up a blackened version. Dipped the fish filet in melted butter, then applied a mix of Mad Hunky, cajun seasoning and some Mexican oregano which were run through my spice grinder to make a powder. Fish hit the piping hot cast iron with a tsp of melted butter drizzled on the fish. 3 minutes later fish was flipped with another tsp of melted butter. 3 minutes later it was done, but I added a couple more tsp of melted butter and let it go for another minute or so. Served with some potatoes I did on the coals, some rice, and local sweet corn, a nice supper.

Fish was fantastic, Hunky added alot of kick and flavor to the mix. Nice spicy crust, tender juicy interior. Dipping the fish and butter and basically basting it with butter added a ton of flavor and juciness as well. ...

My 4 y.o. took this pic of the setup:

dipped in butter:

seasoned:

flipped:

plated:

thanks for looking.
    Last edited by chisoxjim; 08-02-2011, 08:42 AM.
    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Wow Jim that is outstanding! Beautiful fish!

Comment

Fantastic lookin meal Jim!!!
      Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
      Weber Performer
      Weber 22.5" OTG
      Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
      Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
      Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
      BBQ Food Truck

Comment

thanks folks,

I am odd, but I loved having double starch for the dinner(rice and potatoes).

Corn was good, but not as good as some I had Sunday night from a different farm. Almost at the 2 - 3 weeks prime window for Illinois sweet corn.

Comment

Wow...HOT PAN! I have only tried the blackened thing once quite a while ago. Caught my food on fire Sure looks good when someone who knows how does it tho!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice, Jim. I love blackened Mahi Mahi!
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Once again Jim, you ROCKED IT!!! Bravo!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

As always Jim, big freakin
                Love blackened fish of all sorts.
                JT

Comment

nice Jim!!! we took my mom out to eat for her birthday cuple years ago and i had a version of blakened Mahi-Mahi, it was awesome. pretty sure it was served with a bechemal sauace? prob one of the best boughten dinners i ever had. nice job Jim and thanks for wowing us, well at least me again!!!
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

thanks guys,

mahi is one of my favorite fish, holds up on the grill etc, and nice mild flavor.

THe Mad Hunky rub is impressing me with how versitile it is. I am looking forward to trying the wing rub, maybe this weeeknd.

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                      THe Mad Hunky rub is impressing me with how versitile it is.
                      So true, it's also my go to nacho & home fry potatoe seasoning also

Fish looks fantastic Jim & the kettle set up is really cool & that might be the sweetest little cast iron pan I've seen.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        So
                        Fish looks fantastic Jim & the kettle set up is really cool & that might be the sweetest little cast iron pan I've seen.
                        thanks boss,

I think I got the cast iron pans as part of a fajita set or something like that, I just found them a couple weeks ago in my basement after a few years "missing".

Comment

looks fantastic and love any kind of fish

The double starch thing is good to - I'll take the fish, tatties and corn and you can have the rice
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            The double starch thing is good to - I'll take the fish, tatties and corn and you can have the rice
                            lol..

thats how it works in my house, my asian wife has dibs on the rice most days.

Comment

What's wrong with double starch anyway? I mean...there's still room for a nice appie salad and fruit dessert right?
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X