Insulated Cabinet Pellet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulated Cabinet Pellet Smoker

Well i have been working on upsizing to something i could Cater/vend out of. I had talked with independent builders (got14u) and the big guys (Yoder). Was ready to pay someone some cash, which is not my usual style.

That is until yesterday when the gods of craiglist showed me some love!

Bought this Big azz Insulated commercial oven that is ready to become "mega" smoker. The guy before me had installed the wheels and the Tel-Tru guage in it already.

Gonna mount my traeger pellet pooper unit in the side and add a few more racks. Then a heat deflector and drip tray over the traeger unit. Might have to add a damper to the exhaust and she should be ready to roll!

She is a biggun! 32"x32"x67" outside. 28"x28"x48" inside above the traeger and drip pan!

It ony has 3 racks now, but looking at 7-8,... 28" x 28". Should give me around 5,000 sq. inches of rack.

Will post pics as it gets finished.

Was just to pumped to not show it off!

Here she is next to a 22" weber!
    Attached Files
    "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

What a find!!! Looking forward to seeing how she cooks!
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Comment

fantastic looking beast.
      You might want to consider an amaze-n smoker or smokevark style cold smoke generator rather than pissing about with an internal electric smoker.
      Much simpler, my home built smoke generator cost me about $10 to make and will run solid for 13 hours on 14 oz of wooddust. And yep, it would generate more than enough smoke even for something that large.

Hell do it that way and you've got the room for another shelf :-)

Only mods you'd need would be small air inlet at the bottom of the oven.

I've recently run the smokevark with standard sized sawdust as well - just takes a wee bit longer to light - but once lit runs the same. So I don't have to grind the stuff down fine anymore :-)

Plus todds big v shaped job will run on pellets as well
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Yeah Man!...That oughta get after it with yer planned mods!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

CA.. A cold smoker would be a great adition to this thing!

But the pellet pooper is basically a wood burner. It uses electricity to get the pellets burning. Then uses a blower fan to get really good combustion on the pellets in a cup. It uses an auger to feed in more pellets from a hopper based upon a heat setting.

The smoker controllers that everybody's buying these days originated with the pellet poopers, imho.

The other advantage to the blower fan is that it creates a convection oven type circulation to help with evening out the temps.

I always doubted the pellet smokers till i used one. Very efficient on fuel also.

Comment

Wow that is a beauty for sure. Congrats on a great find
            Scarbelly

Comment

Have been very busy and have'nt been around much. Weather is starting to turn so i should be back around more.

I got the cabinet pellet smoker closer to done and thought i would update the thread!

The pellet pooper assembly is off of a Traeger junior. (smallest they make)

In the insulated cabinet the temps run about the same, low 200, med 240, and high 300. As it did on the tiny Traeger barrel with a 14 x 20 grill. Now i have 5 - 25 x 27 grates! Gotta make 2 more.

It also has a damper in the flue, a drip pan / heat deflector with a drain.

Basically my clone of a "Fast Eddy" Fec 100 only bigger!

It burns about a lb. an hour of pellets on med.. So at $9 for a 20lb bag it is pretty darn efficient.

My last goal is to install an element from a brinkman electric for preheating this thing so i won't burn pellets to get up to 180 before putting in the meat.

That and a cyberQ II to monitor pit temp meat temp and run the electric preheat element.

Will get some Qview up soon!

Thanks for lookin!
              Last edited by Hippy; 04-27-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Fricken Awesome Beast
                sigpic

Comment

Very cool!!

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Hey, thanks alot guys!

Forgot to throw in a pic of my Rack- rack. Wanted something to set next to the smoker to hold the racks while i fill and empty them. So i didn't have to leave the door open the whole time.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Cool stuff Hippy, very nice work. Now, get some food in there!!!
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Nice build, Hippy. Fire it up!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Very cool - nice score and awesome fab job!

Comment

Just wanted to put a plug in for ADX Portland.

It is a shop you can join kinda like joining a gym. They have a full metal shop and a killer woodshop. It enabled me to be able to complete my cabinet without renting stuff and welding,cutting and grinding in the garage.

I would recomend it to any of our Portand area Fabricators.

Had a great space to work in. Big table, Mig, Tig, Bandsaw, chopsaw, endmill, small lathe, plasma cutter, and small brake. Cost me $140 for a month. Waaay better than renting equipment and trying to do it at home!

http://www.adxportland.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X