Got My New Deflectors Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got My New Deflectors Today

Got home from work today and this was on the front porch.

Opened the package and there they were.

These bad boys are heavy duty.

Weighing in at almost 7 pounds, I think they will last a good long time. And fine craftsmanship to boot. Edges are all very smooth. Definitely, in my opininon anyway, worth $30 each.

Got one for each drum.

Definitely sturdy enough to sit the charcoal basket on top of to do some grilling.

As far as keeping fat from dripping into the coals, here's one on a 13.5" charcoal basket

And on a 17" charcoal basket

Has enough opening on the outside that I'm anticipating some pretty decent burn times out of a load of fuel.

MUCH better than what I was using.

Pizza pan went in the trash. I'll save the expando though.

Can't wait to try them out. I'll give 'em a test drive this weekend in some form or other.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Wow Dave, they look great! Makes me wish I were building a UDS...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Cool..

But I have to say this.. The idea of building a UDS is that they are cheap to build... Right?

Then we start modifying them with extended intakes, rotisseries, Weber dome lids, carts, deflectors, power intake air regulators, and hell how much more.. ??

With what you spend on this stuff and labor to install ... I don't get it.. I like them, just don't understand it..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        Cool..

But I have to say this.. The idea of building a UDS is that they are cheap to build... Right?

Then we start modifying them with extended intakes, rotisseries, Weber dome lids, carts, deflectors, power intake air regulators, and hell how much more.. ??

With what you spend on this stuff and labor to install ... I don't get it.. I like them, just don't understand it..
        The search for perfection!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR-gQBkQP-c
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sweet! I can't wait to get mine! Planning on finishing the burn out tomorrow and get my UDS rolling! Thanks for sharing Dave. Good to know they are good and sturdy! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how it works. I got nothing to compare it to (pizza pan?)

Comment

SOME people try to build them as cheaply as possible. That however was not my primary goal.

I wanted something very versatile. It can smoke, grill, rotis, is easy to move about, and can run COMPLETELY unattended if need be.

Okay,the controller was really just a toy I wanted because it was cool, but it does allow me to use a full basket of lump without having to worry about irregular chunk size or ash choke.

You make a very good point. Part of the fun though is building it and modifying it to suit your needs. But I would hate to actually know what I have spent on those two UDSs. I would hate even more for Ann to know. Although she did write the check for the deflectors without too much hesitation.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                The search for perfection!

That I can understand.. Just seems by the time you get to that point you have a $400 - $500 burn barrel??
                Ken

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  You make a very good point. Part of the fun though is building it and modifying it to suit your needs. But I would hate to actually know what I have spent on those two UDSs. I would hate even more for Ann to know. Although she did write the check for the deflectors without too much hesitation.

Dave
                  And..you could always buy a 20" grill and cover it with foil...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I am in no way saying they are not worth there weight in gold.. I guess I stopped all that tinkering some time back.. Maybe I need to get those creative juices flowing again.. (Down Squirrel)
                    Ken

Comment

That I can understand.. Just seems by the time you get to that point you have a $400 - $500 burn barrel??
                      Well, I would submit that it's a little more useful than a burn barrel.

And smells better when it is in use too.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Been there, done that. 17" is too big -- wastes too much fuel. 13.5" is too small -- doesn't control the air flow enough. Then you have to try and duplicate what you did with the foil each time if you find something that works. I want something repeatable that I don't have to fark with each time I want to cook something. I think this will work out much better.

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        That's a 22.5" grill!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                          That's a 22.5" grill!
                          Not for a deflector.

Comment

I am in no way saying they are not worth there weight in gold.. I guess I stopped all that tinkering some time back.. Maybe I need to get those creative juices flowing again.. (Down Squirrel)
                            No worries, Ken.

One thiing is, I can't weld. But I can measure and drill a mean hole. And turn some bolts and nuts. And pay the guy at the fab shop to cut some stuff for me if need be. So this is something that I can build myself.

If I had a shop and a welder and knew how to use it, I'd probably hit Zeeker up for his plans for Fatman and build a reverse flow. But since I don't, I can tweak the shit out of these two drums and cook some tasty food on them.

Dave
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

Oh, a 20" grate.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X