Pickled Garlic Turned Blue/Green?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled Garlic Turned Blue/Green?

Yesterday I did some more canning. I did some more pickles, peppers, and cauliflower. To each of the jars I made I added about 4 cloves of garlic. While checking my seals I noticed that (some more than others) the garlic cloves had turned a bit blue-ish/green.

Anyone seen this before? Could it possibly be a reaction to bruising the cloves may have sustained while being peeled with one of those silicone tubes you roll on the counter? Previous jars I did this year did not show this same reaction.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Dave

No worries. If I remember right, it has to do with the amount of iron in your water. Cauliflower and brussel sprouts will sometimes do it as well.
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
      No worries. If I remember right, it has to do with the amount of iron in your water. Cauliflower and brussel sprouts will sometimes do it as well.
      That would make sense as we have very hard water down here.
      Thanks IC

Dave

Comment

Yes, whenever we do garlic pickles, the garlic looks just like that... be aight!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

No problem, hard water is the cause
          Col. Big Guy

Comment

The water reacting with the sulfur in those particular veggies.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

,,,chemical reaction thats harmless...natural.....

Comment

I'm glad since the garlic at the end of the jar is always the best part!!

Thanks guys.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GratefulDave View Post
                  I'm glad since the garlic at the end of the jar is always the best part!!

Thanks guys.

Dave
                  Dave, I like to sliver it up, and stuff it into some pitted green olives with some good blue cheese... Yummo. Good in martinis, or just to snack on. Try it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I've got a water softener and still get the same reaction. Our water is so hard you have to chew it.
                    sigpic

GOSM/propane
                    UDS (Cam)/lump
                    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                    Weber Genesis/propane
                    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Saw this on another site while looking at other pickling topics...

According to the Food Network at www.foodtv.com... they looked into the reason pickled garlic sometimes turns blue or green. Garlic contains anthocyanins, water-soluble pigments that turn blue, green or purple in an acid solution. While this color transformation tends to occur more often with immature garlic, it can differ among cloves within the same head of garlic. The garlic flavor remains unchanged, and it totally edible without bodily harm.

On the same subject,garlic contains sulfur compounds which can react with copper to form copper sulfate, a blue or blue-green compound. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies. Raw garlic contains an enzyme that if not inactivated by heating reacts with sulfur (in the garlic) and copper (from water or utensils) to form blue copper sulfate.

The garlic is still perfectly safe to eat.

Garlic exposed to excessive direct sunlight can also turn green and acquire a bitter taste.
                      Mike
                      Life In Pit Row

Comment

I know this thread is a little aged..... I have hard water also and have started using distilled water from the WM to process my canned and pickled stuff... Depending on your water, distilled can improve the final products flavor....
                        for the price, improved flavor makes it worth it...

Dave
                        When I got here I was a dummy.... I learned quite a bit... I'm still a dummy, only Smarter......

Comment

Working...
                        X