Planning a UDS build? Get jiggy with it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a UDS build? Get jiggy with it

Greetings everyone. I am building a UDS for a friend and after painstakingly measuring and marking each hole and then drilling them hoping that the drill bit even after drilling a small guide hole would not wander to much I thought to myself there must be an easier way. In a moment of inspiration it hit me, I know I will be making more of these for other friends so why not make a jig, the ancient wood workers helper. I put a prototype together with a piece of scrap wood. It took about 10 minutes but is going to save me a bunch of time in future builds. Take a look below and let me know what ya think. It has marks for the 2” holes (just flip the can over), 7” holes and 13” if putting in a second shelf. Now all I have to do is clearly mark the top and bottom once where I want the holes, line up the marks with the large hole you can see through and drill away, holes come out clean and lined up with each other. The thickness of the wood even helps keep the bit straight and since it is a ¼ inch hole the bit can not wander. Anyway hope it helps some of our friends out there thinking of building a UDS.
    Attached Files
    “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Nicely done. I have a cabinet shop & I make MANY jigs to get multiples exact. I must have over a hundred of 'em.
    MES 30"
    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
    Weber 22" kettle
    E-Z-Que rotisserie
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Big Weber Gasser
    Cracker Smoker
    UDS

Comment

that's just not cool... whatever happened to measure 3 times, cut 17 times, and then call a professional to do it? lol
      Current babies:
      -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
      -RichTee's Lang :)
      Former Lineup:
      -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
      -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
      -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
      -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
      BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
        that's just not cool... whatever happened to measure 3 times, cut 17 times, and then call a professional to do it? lol
        Is that anything like Bohemian carpentry? Cut it twice and still can't figger out why it's too short?...

Comment

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
          Is that anything like Bohemian carpentry? Cut it twice and still can't figger out why it's too short?...
          Now I know why I always get the "dumb" end of the tape measure.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
          X