Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The very first step of what will be many more..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The very first step of what will be many more..

Before I even fire the stick burner on Sunday. Just starting my apple cider brine for the turkey breasts that will be put in the brine on Saturday night to brine until Sunday morning.

Start with 2 qts apple cider, ten sprigs or so of fresh tyhyme, peppercorns, 2 heads of garlic cut crosswise, half cup brown sugar, cup and half kosher salt, juniper berries and about a Tbs of honey.
    Bring to a boil and then take off the heat and cover and let steep until cool.

Tomorrow I will add about a gallon of water and the turkey breast to it to brine over night.
    I have about 14lbs of prime rib to go with the turkey as well as baked beans and horseradish mashed taters so I will be busy the next couple of days.

Going to try hard to document this smoke and update along the way. Seems I start out good but as things get busy and people begin to show up I get spread thin and the camera gets lost in the shuffle.
    G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Bring it on... Lets see the smoker stuffed..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      Lets see the smoker stuffed..
      Aye get a picture of that! Pretty cool brine recipe. Sounds like a great smoke is going to happen. I too get spread thin at BBQ's, but not because I am being a good host. I usually have 1-2 beers to many and ...uh *cough* lose my camera!

Comment

Get up on the high side with that brine! Cat gonna have a tasty Turkey!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Even got the beans ready to go tonight! Wow I'm really ahead of the game I'm also recovering from carpal tunnel surgery so things take twice as long to do as what would be normal. So i'm motivated to get as much prepped as possible. I also think the beans benefit from a day or two in the fridge.

I think we are all familiar with this basic bean recipe. I have tweaked on it quite a bit over the years. I cut up a smoked pork tenderloin that I smoked last week and threw that in.
          A smoked chipolte chile pepper thats been dried and ground adds a great little kick. A little smoked hickory powder adds a little something something too. I don't think beans absorb much smoke flavor from being in the smoker.
          I put them in there mostly to catch all that meat drippin' goodness from the prime rib!

Comment

I will tell you this.. You get points for Padma...

Now if your smoke come out great.. Hell even if it's bad.. I'll still give yeah points..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              I will tell you this.. You get points for Padma...

Now if your smoke come out great.. Hell even if it's bad.. I'll still give yeah points..
              She is a doll isn't she. Nobody looks better eatin' a rib!

G Spot BBQ was actually coined by some friends of mine awhile back. We have some epic garage parties at my place and after awhile my garage became known as the G Spot. The G being short for garage.

Well I also do all my smoking right next to the garage and all eatin' and drinkin' and lyin' to another takes place in the garage.
              So G Spot BBQ just kind of fit.
              And Padma was the chosen mascot.

Thanks for the points!!

Comment

Like the brine recipe. Ever toss in a sprig of rosemary? And a cup or so of a dry white can add a nice nuance. Brining boid is the way to go I'm finding.

And I DO understand on the picture thing...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Like the brine recipe. Ever toss in a sprig of rosemary? And a cup or so of a dry white can add a nice nuance. Brining boid is the way to go I'm finding.

And I DO understand on the picture thing...
                  Yep there are a million ways to tweak brine recipes but this has worked so well the last couple times out I have just run with it. And I'm feeding alot of folks this weekend so I go with what I know works. It's more of a sweet brine which helps the poultry get that nice crispy golden brown skin.

I do like the wine suggestion though. Next time I will give that run.

Glad you understand the pic

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                    I'm also recovering from carpal tunnel surgery so things take twice as long to do as what would be normal.
                    Carpal tunnel??? Well I should come up and help ya then.
                    The brine sounds off the hook good. Can't wait to see this after everything is done......
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

This is all sounding good. Anxious to see what you do with your prime rib.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Well more progress today. And I can't take pictures worth a damn! I can't get the blur out! Am I standing to close or what? Any advice from photogs would be appreciated. Just have simple but new Kodak which is automatic and 14 mega pixel.

Anyhoo you'll get the idea. Braised pearl onions. Saute pearl onions in a pan with butter and grapeseed oil or virgin olive oil which ever you prefer.

Once they have all browned a bit add about 3/4 cup of beef stock with some thyme and a bay leaf.

Bring the beef stock to a simmer and then turn heat to low and let braise for about an hour until most the liquid is gone.
                        Remove the bay leaf and thyme. turn the heat back up and deglaze the pan with more beef stock or wine works too.

Tomorrow I will saute some wild mushroom and those to the onions just before serving. I have made thse often and I do loves em!

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I find my camera takes better pics outside. Maybe my camera sucks too.
                          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Take a breath, press the shutter button half way down which sets the auto focus, let out half a breath, then press the shutter button down. Most folks don't have steady enough hands for all that in one motion indoors.
                            Sorry for the jack
                            sigpic
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            New Braunfels Hondo
                            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                            1-26" Weber Kettle
                            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                              Take a breath, press the shutter button half way down which sets the auto focus, let out half a breath, then press the shutter button down. Most folks don't have steady enough hands for all that in one motion indoors.
                              Sorry for the jack
                              Thanks for the tip Mikey. Thats what I did. Press half way down on the shutter button and hold it. The frame on the lcd screen turns green which means go ahead and take the pic. Heres the result. A bit better. Just a chit camera I guess. $79 at Wally about 3 months ago

Comment

Working...
                              X