Quick ? for those with the knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick ? for those with the knowledge

My friend gave me 2 real nice salmon filets. I want to smoke them in the sense of a hot smoke. I have always grilled fish so I am not to sure on how to smoke them. I was thinking a little hunky and smoke at 225° just until they flake?

So my questions are as follows...
    I am going to use blue bag for the heat, but what wood do y'all recommend? I have Hickory coming out my ears...

I love the hunky who has tried it with salmon? Or would it over power the delicate salmon taste?

Since this is a "hot" smoke no need to brine right?

Any other tips/recipes would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

I've used blue...be fine...indirect sorta for me...I sure like Alder to use. I usually let em brine sometimes for a hour with ginger. The ginger...Louie like's it... Her idea...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I think hickory might be a little strong for salmon. I prefer alder, or maple if that's not available. Cherry or apple are good too.

Can't comment on the mad hunky on it... never tried MH.

One of my favorite recipes for grilled salmon goes like this...

Use a bottom layer of foil, place salmon on foil, cover with maple syrup then cover with a thick layer of brown sugar. Cover with foil and roll all sides. Place on gill for about 15 minutes or until salmon comes apart with fork.

Obviously not going to get any smoke that way, but I suppose if you left it open it'd be pretty good.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
        never tried MH.
        TRY IT!

I love it on chicken. Nothing better IMHO when combined with yard bird that has been "HUNKY" brined!

Comment

Yeah hickory's on the strong side. Apple... alder, even oak would be better IMO.

I have not triedthe Hunky on smoked salmon, but many have used it on grilled fish to good review. I'd not be afraid to try it. Keep it light, you want to taste all the fish too. And it might need a touch more salt.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Gonna want some extra salt/and or sugar, to help draw out some of the moisture, and give it a bit of a sweet/salty flavor, IMHO.
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

So, you are looking at grilling with smoke it sounds like?... Been doing this for about 25 years and it is our favorite way to do salmon.... Indirect on the kettle as noted and try for abou 250-275 * grate temps.... On the filet apply fesh finely diced Dill and Garlic, season with Johnnys, and top with Brown sugar.... Let it sit 25-30 minutes, then grill-smoke with Alder. If you don't have Alder, as mentioned a fruitwood or Oak are close seconds.... Good luck and keep us posted.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks dudes! Looks I am off to get some Alder wood. Probably just hit the Fred's across the way and get some chips. Very helpful thanks again!

Comment

Anxious to hear how your salmon came out.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Certainly not disagreeing with any of the above advice. Yes, real easy to oversmoke with hickory, but if you keep your smoke light and short, hickory can work well. Also agree with the salt sugar thing. I've had great reviews with soy and brn sugar based brine.
                    JT

Comment

for hot smoking I would always brine or marinade.
                      Bear in mind that cold smoked fish does not dry out that much.
                      whereas hot smoked it's going to lose a lot of moisture ion the cooking process. So the moister it starts the moister it finishes :-)

oaks good with fish, but so is pretty much any wood as long as you don't over do it.
                      Fish takes on flavours much more readily than meat - so light smoke is alwasy going to be preferable over the full neighbourhood blackeout :-)

Can't see any reason not to use mh.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                      X