Marinated Turkey Breast Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marinated Turkey Breast Experiment

You guys made me hungry for turkey, and all I have is breasts. So I took 2 small ones out of the freezer. While trying to figure out how to prepare them, I decided to experiment a little.

I like Teriyaki injected deep fried turkey. But I decided this time I would inject and then marinate them and leave them to sit overnight.

So here's the experiment:
    We all have heard how meat under vacuum is supposed to marinade better because supposedly, the muscle fibers open up allowing better penetration.
    So the first breast has been injected and is marinading in a closed container. I'll flip it over and shake it up every couple of hours.
    The second breast is getting the vacuum treatment. Now according to the people that swear by this method, it should only take a few hours. So sitting under vacuum overnight should really make this sucker rich. We'll see.

The teriyaki recipe is a simple one:
    2 cups soy sauce
    8 cup water
    2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 cloves fresh minced garlic
    1 cup cornstarch mixed with 2 cups cold water

Mix all but the cornstarch and the 2 cups water in a sauce pan. Simmer for 30 minutes. Cool completely. Inject or marinade as you normally would.
    Don't add the cornstarch and water if using as a marinade. I will thicken the remaining marinade to drizzle over the breast slices before I serve it.

Raw breasts with ribs and skin.

1st breast. This will get turned and shaken every couple hours.

2nd breast is double vacuumed and will sit just like this over night.

I am going to fry these at noon, and serve with Stove Top Stuffing (because I love it), and probably a noodle dish to be determined later. I will post picks when done.

Tom

Sounds like a great experiment. I will be checking back to see the results.
    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
    1 Maverick ET-73
    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

i would like to see if the vacuum method is better ..i would think it would be....but i do luv some smoke turkey...can't wait to see
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Thanks for the recipe for the homemade teriyaki sauce. I'll be watching this thread to see how the turkey turns out.

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
        Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
        sigpic

Comment

I have not used the marinade/vac method, but I have done a curing experiment similar. I DID note an approx. 20% faster cure penetration time with the vac-pak.

Keeping my eye on this one THANKS Tom!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
            but i do luv some smoke turkey
            Doc, i think he is deep fat frying these babies.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Sounds like a good marinade/injection. It will be interesting to see how these turn out.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                I have not used the marinade/vac method, but I have done a curing experiment similar. I DID note an approx. 20% faster cure penetration time with the vac-pak.

Keeping my eye on this one THANKS Tom!
                No numbers on this one. Not that I'd have the slightest clue as to how to run them anyway. Strictly going by color, taste and texture here.
                My Sister in law used to blow up food in a food testing lab. She has a doctorate in Chemistry. Maybe she could offer some help. Naw, she doesn't even like me. Duh.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  No numbers on this one. Not that I'd have the slightest clue as to how to run them anyway. Strictly going by color, taste and texture here.
                  My Sister in law used to blow up food in a food testing lab. She has a doctorate in Chemistry. Maybe she could offer some help. Naw, she doesn't even like me. Duh.

I know that feeling same here brother..
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Results

Well, this didn't really go the way I had planned. I was going to post pics of the breast and sides, plated and looking nice, and just like that I lost interest. It happens sometimes. I can't explain it, but it happens. So here's what I got.

After the teriyaki was drained, the vacuumed breast most definitely looked darker.

Both were deep fried at 375° in peanut oil for 3 minutes per pound plus five minutes.

After cooking, I really couldn't tell a difference in color between the two. That made me nervous because I would think that the vacuumed breast would be darker. At least a light carmel color. But nothing.

Slicing was a bit different though. The vacuum marinaded breast was much juicier, and more tender. Remember, the other breast, while not vacuum marinaded, it was injected liberally and soaked in marinade overnight.

Taste. The difference was unbelievable. The injected breast had a good flavor, but very, very light teriyaki. Which might be fine for some.
                    The vacuumed breast had a great flavor, strong, not over powering, but there for sure. And tender, my lands was it tender.

Here they are side by side. Other than the difference in skin color (dark one had to cook a bit longer), I really couldn't tell a difference in the color of the meat.

Here is a closeup of the injected and marinaded breast.

And a closeup of the vacuum marinaded breast.

So in conclusion.............Well it's fairly obvious. I'm a believer, and I will continue to marinade and cure under a vacuum.

Tom

Comment

So in conclusion.............Well it's fairly obvious. I'm a believer, and I will continue to marinade and cure under a vacuum.
                      Well done, Sir... points

I always love to read a decently controlled experimental post. And as I mentioned I had evidence supporting your conclusion in the cure arena.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Outstanding... Did the skin get darker do to cooking longer or from the sugar burning from the marinade and being infused in the meat and skin??
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                          Outstanding... Did the skin get darker do to cooking longer or from the sugar burning from the marinade and being infused in the meat and skin??
                          I thought of that, but it most certainly wasn't burnt. But the marinade definitely had something to do with it. The skin had a great teriyaki flavor too.

Tom

Comment

Well, this didn't really go the way I had planned. I was going to post pics of the breast and sides, plated and looking nice, and just like that I lost interest. It happens sometimes. I can't explain it, but it happens. So here's what I got.

After the teriyaki was drained, the vacuumed breast most definitely looked darker.

Both were deep fried at 375° in peanut oil for 3 minutes per pound plus five minutes.

After cooking, I really couldn't tell a difference in color between the two. That made me nervous because I would think that the vacuumed breast would be darker. At least a light carmel color. But nothing.

Slicing was a bit different though. The vacuum marinaded breast was much juicier, and more tender. Remember, the other breast, while not vacuum marinaded, it was injected liberally and soaked in marinade overnight.

Taste. The difference was unbelievable. The injected breast had a good flavor, but very, very light teriyaki. Which might be fine for some.
                            The vacuumed breast had a great flavor, strong, not over powering, but there for sure. And tender, my lands was it tender.

Here they are side by side. Other than the difference in skin color (dark one had to cook a bit longer), I really couldn't tell a difference in the color of the meat.

Here is a closeup of the injected and marinaded breast.

And a closeup of the vacuum marinaded breast.

yep... thought you'd like it... well done gunslinger

sigpic

Comment

Great thread Gunny.....real nice job on the comparison!
                              Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                              http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X