22.5 WSM side door issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22.5 WSM side door issue

Is it me or is this just a total piece of crap? I'm surprised Weber wouldn't do a better job with this. I am sure I can modify it, hell I have to if I want to keep it closed! Anyone else have this problem? After that, no beefs about the rest of the smoker, I really like it.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Dude... Blowin Smoke just hooked me up with a real door for my 18, and they got 'em for the 22 too! Looking for link...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Here ya go...

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Them doors do look like chinsey crap even though the cooker is built very well....

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Thanks...have to get it. Anything is better than the original.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Ive had no problems with mineYes it is a flimsy piece of crap but that doesnt seem to sffect my smoking at all whats a little smoke loss when yer smoking hurt anything
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

No issue for me on any of the 3 I have used

- old style 18.5"
              - new 18.5"
              - new 22.5"

Not sure what more it needs to be. It is what it is.
              Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

The problem I had was the aluminum bends to easily and having to bend them back into shape for a airtight fit. Problem not so much as smoke leaking out but air leakng in. I'm just like the aftermarket door a lot better and it compliments the WSM well.

Comment

Surprised Weber has kept the door as is ......... unless no one has complained to Weber.
                  sigpic

Comment

My main problem is with the latch, I gotta fix it. I understand the new door comes without one.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                      My main problem is with the latch, I gotta fix it. I understand the new door comes without one.
                      That's correct the mod SS door does not come with a latch and you have to reuse the one from the old door. Have you tried to ajust the latch with the back nut?

Comment

Originally posted by Blowin Smoke View Post
                        That's correct the mod SS door does not come with a latch and you have to reuse the one from the old door. Have you tried to ajust the latch with the back nut?
                        Not yet, I have to take it apart and look at it. Had problems with it yesterday because it wouldn't latch.

sigpic
                        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                          Not yet, I have to take it apart and look at it. Had problems with it yesterday because it wouldn't latch.
                          That's a real easy fix.

Comment

Mine seem to work fine as is also. Maybe contact Weber about it? Given their pretty solid rep I would think they would make it right for you
                            sigpic

Comment

i read this post earlier and i been thinking what the heck are they talking about??? so anyway doin up some flappers today so decided to ck it out for meself. i know when i got my new WSM the packaging wasnt all that great and the cheap lil side dor was not quite shaped correct. but a lil tweaking and good as gold i figger.

so i fire the thing up and i thought allrighty lets test this thing out. put some damp apple bark on the coals to really create a smolder. so i look at the door and i dont see any smoke leaking from it even though it is not a 100 percent perfect fit.

the next picture, and all these pics are taken seconds apart from each other, is of the lid, where it seems to leak the greatest. i had the top vent closed to create a condition to find smoke leaks the easiest. but here is where the smoke come out on mine.

now my WSM is pretty new and dont have a couple years or hard use to it yet so maybe after bending the door up some through use a problem may arise??? and here we are after the damp bark burnt off and we are at normal operating mode with top vent open. smoke leaks are negligible, much less than my GOSM or Chargriller.

so not sure what to say, dont see spending what they want for a door that works perfectly fine on mine... and even if it did leak a little, how much is too much where it would affect the smoking? it is on the top side so it dont affect internal draft control to the coals.
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X