Salsa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salsa!

Over the weekend I kept the Roma food strainer busy doing up 6 qts of salsa. The recipe I used is as follows but pretty much made it up as I went along. THIS IS AN UNPROVEN RECIPE CREATED BY THE POSTER!

NOTE: USE ONLY FULLY COOKED CANNED BEANS!

2 dz lg tomatoes
    1 head of fresh crushed garlic
    5 fresh japs seeded and minced
    4 sweet banana peepers diced
    1 cups chopped cilantro
    1 lg onion diced
    2 cups roasted corn
    1 CAN pinto beans
    2 T kosher salt
    1 T CBP

Everything but the maters into a stock pot to heat and mix throughly.

Then the crushed tomatoes run thru the strainer using the salsa screen.

Simmered that down for a couple of hours, ladled into qt jars and then 30 minutes in the pressure canner.

Turned out nice and chunky with a wonderful fresh taste. I'll be doing at least one more batch before the tomato crop goes south.

The canned beans have already been cooked and pressure processed. They were again pressure processed by me the length of time for green beans, a low acidic/high PH product.
    Last edited by lcruzen; 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Huh..a bean salsa eh? I like that....
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Fresh beans 50 minutes at 10 lbs in pressure cooker! Be careful! That is what I was worried about in adding ingredients. It needs to be a proven recipe!
      Ok the beans you used are canned so you should be ok. But if someone reads this and decides it'd good to use fresh - someone dies. Poking the bear in the eye is far better than a close encounter with C. Bot. - C. Bot wins EVERY time.
      Last edited by Mark R; 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        Fresh beans 50 minutes at 10 lbs in pressure cooker! Be careful! That is what I was worried about in adding ingredients. It needs to be a proven recipe!
        Ok the beans you used are canned so you should be ok. But if someone reads this and decides it'd good to use fresh - someone dies. Poking the bear in the eye is far better than a close encounter with C. Bot. - C. Bot wins EVERY time.
        Sooo...the couple hour simmer would not do it for fresh pintos? And then the 30 min. canning cycle? I don't know...I'm kinda ignorant.

If that is the case, perhaps the post should be edited to reflect CANNED ONLY beans. OR the pre-cook you mentioned.
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post

Your concern and point is understandable and I've edited my post accordingly.
          sigpic

GOSM/propane
          UDS (Cam)/lump
          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
          Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

A couple hour simmer is NOT at 190 to 200F. As I understand it, this is necessary to kill C.Bot. I am not an expert here. But I research before I start start. Introducing beans to a "proven recipe" changes it. Period! I do not know how to compensate. I do know that a recipe for "fresh beans" requires "50 minutes at 10 lbs in pressure cooker". All I know, there are others here that have knowledge.

The difference is; a chicken cooked for 6 hours @ 125F will make you sick. An improperly canned batch of veggies or beans... will kill - everyone that eats it.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Well..I agree in that we'd rather not split hairs here and err on the side of saftey. The post has been edited to reflect the use of canned beans.

Still sounds great to me. And I won't mess with fresh beans anyway. What's the point? ;{)

Comment

Learned some here tonight.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

It does sound good!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

We want to be safe and I know Lou you do as well. I hope no one feels attacked in this thread..

I took a look at the canning guide http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...Home%20Can.pdf bottom of page 5 top of 6.. Looks like fresh beans needs to be 90 minutes at 10-11lbs. depending on the pressure canner..

I think I read that correct..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

No issues here. Might be best all around to delete this thread. I don't want anyone getting sick or worse on my account. Salsa was good but not that good!
                      sigpic

GOSM/propane
                      UDS (Cam)/lump
                      22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                      Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

It was certainly not an attack in any way! Just a safety check. Canning is complicated and dangerous if not followed carefully. Ya only get to mess up with it once.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                          No issues here. Might be best all around to delete this thread. I don't want anyone getting sick or worse on my account. Salsa was good but not that good!
                          I see no reason to do that. Notes made and issues addressed. All is as should be, I figger. I MAY edit the thread a bit to remove stuff like this post, in a few days.

Thanks Lou!

Comment

just a note from the peanut gallery:

please do not remove this thread. i think it is a fine example of how this board interacts to maintain the high standard of food safety. it also shows that this board can discuss these items without getting mad and upset. it also shows the willingness of icruzen to have this thread deleted if it did compromise food safety. all these thing are what makes this the finest place on earth

good golly i am so lucky that you all let me hang around here and learn
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Duly Noted Peanut Gallery..
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X