More cheese.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More cheese.

Cleaning out the fridge, got some Colby, cheddar, aged Irish cheddar, Rouge Creamery blue, Maytag blue, some mozzarella and Gouda all going at once with some applewood. Should make for good treats at this months beer tasting.

sigpic

thats a good lookin start you got going there i cant wait to see the finished products
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

ooo be careful with those bleus! They HIGH in fat and like to melt. Nice assortment tho!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I put the blues in the freezer for 15 minutes before they hit the smoker. Keeps them firmed up a bit through the smoke.
        sigpic

Comment

Great idea on the blues...looking good with the assortment.
          To friggen hot here for cheese but I am getting after it as soon as it cools..

Comment

Smokéd Blue sounds interesting. Any updates Grue?
            sigpic

Comment

Got me craving some smoked cheese!!

Time to hit up the store and wait for cooler weather!!
              ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Smokéd Blue sounds interesting. Any updates Grue?
                I like to let them set for a few days before I dig in. The smoke flavor seems to become more subtle and spread throughout the cheese more. I'm taking them to a beer tasting this weekend along with a jar of habanero/jalapeno pickled eggs.
                sigpic

Comment

yeah... i can eat cheese right off the smoker, but the longer you let it sit, the more it mellows and the more even the flavor becomes.

it's too hot here too, or else i'd be getting some smoked... i've been having cravings since the heat wave came through about a month ago. lol.

I am thinking I will get some to load of the fridge smoker this fall and go balls-deep into a weekend-long cheese smoking fest.
                  Current babies:
                  -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                  -RichTee's Lang :)
                  Former Lineup:
                  -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                  -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                  -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                  BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Never thought of smoking blue cheese, must let us know how that one comes out. Great assortment ya got going there.
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                      Never thought of smoking blue cheese, must let us know how that one comes out. Great assortment ya got going there.
                      The Rogue Creamery Blue is actually smoked with hazel-wood already but I wanted a more pronounced flavor to it. It really tastes great with some apple or hickory smoke added to them. I do them on my charcoal Brinkman with 4-5 lumps of charcoal, and a couple chips on top of that in the bottom. I put the tray up on top lined with foil, but with slits cut in the foil so it comes up underneath too. Let it go for a couple hours with the lid cocked to the side seems to do the trick for me.
                      sigpic

Comment

Umm....I wouldnt mind hearing more about the beer tasting too.
                        Al

Comment

Grue,

Really like the idea of the smoked blue.

waiting for some cooler weather, and I'm firing up a itty bitty teensy weensy little fire for some cherry / apple smoked cheese. Did some late last year and it was a tremendous hit with the people at work. We like to do meat and cheese trays a couple times a month.

This year I'm thinking of smoking some cheese varieties for neighbor gifts too. A nice basket with smoked cheese, crackers, a bottle of wine and maybe some homebrew salami or beef sticks. Hell, who wouldn't like that?
                          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue View Post
                            Umm....I wouldnt mind hearing more about the beer tasting too.
                            If you're any sort of craft beer fan, some of us from BeerAdvocate.com meet once a month at someone's house. Everyone brings three 22oz (or more) bottles/growlers of beer not commonly found in MI. (or a rare limited release like Hopcat's Oil Rigger). Old vintage beers like 2007 Backwoods Bastard or Founder's KBS are welcome too. We then sample 1-2 oz pours of each beer and mow down on food. Everyone usually brings some sort of dish to pass. I am bringing some of these cheeses and some habanero/jalapeno pickled eggs, and probably some smoked chorizo potato skins.

Link to this months tasting thread.

Here's the aftermath of the tasting I hosted in June.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X