Cash & Carry Meat Hacking Adventure Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cash & Carry Meat Hacking Adventure Part 2

Bought a 29 pound beef shoulder clod & a 10 pound pork loin for some meat carving fun...... So, last night I hacked up the loin into 7 pounds of steaks that I vac packed in 1 pound+- servings & froze. Ended up with just under 3 pounds of pork loin trim that I ground up, vac packed & froze for future sausage adventures.

The beef shoulder clod is a monster cut, this one was just a tad under 29 pounds. I just started the knife following the seams with the goal of trying to cut out "roast" like cuts & ended up with some pretty good looking roasts, a couple of which I cut into steaks. Got probably about 6 pounds of roasts that have a nice fat marbling that I am going to smoke for pulled beef. The rest got vac packed & frozen. The trim from this ended up being 8.5 pounds, that I gound up into burger & froze in 1+ pound sizes. Had to do a test fry on a patty. Tasted great

I have no training in this (as if you could not tell ) but it is really an interesting process & the end result is some good roast/steak cuts & quality ground beef. The cost of the 29 pounder was right about $2.50+- a pound.

The Pork Loin

Beef Shoulder Clod

sigpic

Nice......

I have got to pick up one of them clods and give that a try. Is there a tutorial or anything that shows how to cut up/remove the various muscle groups on a cut like that? Where does the flat iron cut come from?
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
      Nice......

I have got to pick up one of them clods and give that a try. Is there a tutorial or anything that shows how to cut up/remove the various muscle groups on a cut like that? Where does the flat iron cut come from?
      Todd, here's a link to one I hacked up a while back.... T-Bone Tim has a few links towards the end of the thread with some good info.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...threadid=13056
      sigpic

Comment

Sharp knife and some natty...

Nice.....Just found me a 14 pound sirloin tip to butcher....

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
          Nice......

here is about the best tut i have seen on the flatiron,,,
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JckyA5jwZ60

nice job Scott, love your butchering jobs... shows that people should not be afraid of trying something like this out, end up with some great flat irons,roasts, and burger for less cost. you be moving up to a quarter soon. only one way "cheaper"(gotta take that with a grain of salt, have to figure the recreation factor in as absorbing most of the cost and the by product as a bonus) is hunting... but then you also have something you cannot buy in a store. nice job Fish!!!
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
            here is about the best tut i have seen on the flatiron,,,
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JckyA5jwZ60

nice job Scott, love your butchering jobs... shows that people should not be afraid of trying something like this out, end up with some great flat irons,roasts, and burger for less cost. you be moving up to a quarter soon. only one way "cheaper"(gotta take that with a grain of salt, have to figure the recreation factor in as absorbing most of the cost and the by product as a bonus) is hunting... but then you also have something you cannot buy in a store. nice job Fish!!!
            That guy don't know what the hell he's doing
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              That guy don't know what the hell he's doing
              Well, I'd let his sidekick Jill help me with my meat......
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                Well, I'd let his sidekick Jill help me with my meat......

That is what I was thinking! LOL
                MES 30"
                A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                Weber 22" kettle
                E-Z-Que rotisserie
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Big Weber Gasser
                Cracker Smoker
                UDS

Comment

see now looking at this All I see is 'proper' bacon

You made a nice job of the beef though
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    see now looking at this All I see is 'proper' bacon

You made a nice job of the beef though
                    Ya know...... I was thinking about some CB or "proper" bacon.... I sometimes lack in the patience department ...... There's quite a few different ways that I can think of to use a pork loin & am probably missing some also...........Roasts, steaks, Canadian Bacon, Trim for sausage.... Hmmm what else?
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X