Venison Roast, Bacon Wrapped and Smoke Grilled on the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Roast, Bacon Wrapped and Smoke Grilled on the Kettle

Got home yesterday and got the kettle set up for indirect with hickory chunks.

While the coals were getting right, I unwrapped these from the day before

And wrapped them up with bacon

Hit the grates

Used that sorta minion method, lit half the coals and let the rest catch slowly, half damper kept the kettle humming right at 255.

Flipped at one hour, then gave a probe check every 15 minutes

Pulled them at 135 and 137 and gave them a 15 minute rest before digging in

And the money shot!

Very good, very moist, but if I did something different, I'd cut back on the rosemary. Almost overpowered the meat...

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions on what to do with the rest of the meat.
    Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
    Weber Performer
    Weber 22.5" OTG
    Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
    Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
    Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
    BBQ Food Truck

Not a big venison fan, but this is what I'm talking about.... Killer job

sigpic

Comment

I don't like rosemary either, it tastes like a spruce tree. next time remove all fat, bone and silver skin that will make a big difference. Bacon wrap saved it. Nice job.
      Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
        I don't like rosemary either, it tastes like a spruce tree. next time remove all fat, bone and silver skin that will make a big difference. Bacon wrap saved it. Nice job.
        I'm with BG on this. All of our elk and deer get boned out. From the kill to the table, the cleaner the meat is (trimmed) the better taste. A lot of times, less is more when seasoning venison. Yours still looks good enough that I'd take a couple of slices.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
          Bacon wrap saved it
          Saved it?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
            I'm with BG on this. All of our elk and deer get boned out. From the kill to the table, the cleaner the meat is (trimmed) the better taste. A lot of times, less is more when seasoning venison. Yours still looks good enough that I'd take a couple of slices.
            Yanno, I don't know why I left the bones in since I separated all the other chunks. I think I just liked how it looked like a big ol' turkey leg...
            Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
            Weber Performer
            Weber 22.5" OTG
            Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
            Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
            Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
            BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Originally posted by Seboke View Post
              Yanno, I don't know why I left the bones in since I separated all the other chunks. I think I just liked how it looked like a big ol' turkey leg...
              The presentation is really nice
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Saved it?
                Fishawn, the "wild taste" in venison comes from the fat/silverskin, so the more time spent trimming all that from the roast the better off you are tastewise. It results in a very dry chunk of meat when cooked fast like on a grill, unless the deer fat that is removed gets replaced with some other type. Bacon served that purpose here, as well as adding its own flavor to the dish.

That's why venison sausage always includes pork fat and sometimes beef fat. For a roast or steaks on the grill, without adding bacon flavor, you could substitute rubbing with cooking oil or butter.

Comment

I was gonna warn ya on the rosemary... but I figgered you REALLY REALLY liked it or something ;{) One of those stalks stripped and chopped would have been enough for both hunks for me. Especially fresh...it's potent.

Meat looks great...fine job with the cooker!
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey You! the presentation is fantastic, they look scrumptious! great thread with lots of info for those of us who will never kill and dress a deer! well done!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Beautiful job!

Cant wait to get me some roasts soon (early season for antlerless is Sept 15-19 here in MI, and I'm planning on getting some of those "hoofed field rats")!
                      sigpic

Comment

SCOTT

Comment

Looks real good to me!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                          X