Some a this years pickles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some a this years pickles...

seen Scott posted a what to do question on cucumbers...

here is a pic of some cucs we picked last w/e
    there will be a recipie or two to follow but dont have it here right now.
    but separate the small ones from the big ones...

you will need some dill(note the dill,fully formed but not into seed stage yet) and garlic.. a pepper to toss in is good too!

here are some of the baby dills, some are not so baby but small enuff to be real fine picklers whole.

and this year, see them in the stores all the time so tried making up some spears.

and a finished pic off the canning shelf.

gonna go pick more right now and do up another batch. ate up two jars this week...

Recipie...

"Perfect Dills"

Prep pickles, remove the stem and flower ends(very important to get the flower end off, pickles will last alot longer and be better)
    13 cups water(we use distilled)
    6 cups vinegar
    1 cup canning salt

bring this brine to a boil...
    have a canner with water heating up to boil(pretty sure its half full if using quart jars and 2/3 full if pints)

have your jars cleaned and sterilized, setting in hot water.
    working fast not to let jars cool off, stuff a head of dill in bottom of jar along with a clove or two of garlic.

pack pickles in jar, a pepper if you want(even a dehydrated one works great),and more garlic if you wish(i use 2 big cloves per Qt).

stuff another head of dill on top.

now for a Qt jar, ad 1 Tblsp of sugar and 1/4 teasp alum on top of the filled jars. just dump it over the top piece of dill.

now take your brine and pour into each jar slowly to 1/2" headspace(if your jars were not preheated they could crack), put on lid and screw band on just til you feel it push on lid a bit, dont crank em down.

set the jars in the canner of boiling water, remove the canner from heat and let stand until the water is cold.

******this is the method i use here at home, you may use other instructions if you think you need more boiling time in your canning procedure but for pickles this is the way i go...*******
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

NIIIIIIICE!
    sigpic

Comment

Those look perfect, Erain. That alum will keep them crispy for sure.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Looks great E! That's something else I want to get into. Canning in general, not just pickles...
        Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
        Weber Performer
        Weber 22.5" OTG
        Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
        Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
        Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
        BBQ Food Truck

Comment

You guys are all over the pickles this year, man they look good, never had fresh ones I bet they rock.

Comment

Hot Damn Cat Daddy E!...That there is high & wide!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Awesome Erain, very nice. What cukes (name) did you go with this year?
              https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                Awesome Erain, very nice. What cukes (name) did you go with this year?
                Chicago Pickling Cucumber from Jungs, been the one we have used since i was a kid.
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Please send a jar of those spears, PM for the address. Nice job E!
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Beauty stuff E. No jars with a jap or cayanne er two? mmm!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Beauty stuff E. No jars with a jap or cayanne er two? mmm!
                      today man... ZINGERS

chipolte, peruvian chilis, and jalepenos... pics to come later
                      Last edited by erain; 08-20-2011, 05:29 PM. Reason: add chili pepper list
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

Very nice, E!! Nothing better with a good roast beef sammie than a cold, crunchy, home canned dill pickle.

You made ma mouth water, so you get !!

Comment

Great lookin peekles Erain. My dang plants got the WILT again this year. It was a soggy spring. Looks great though, and I'm thinkin bout just goin to a pickle farm and gettin me sum.

Comment

Great job on the dills E....here's some pickle headin' yer way
                            sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Beautiful pickles my E!
                              The last pickles we did didnt have that much of a dill flavor.. two sprigs is all you use.. humm.. we did the same...but it didnt have the flowers on it and E what is alum? thanks for answering the blonde questions! xoxo 2016

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                              X