Need Help! Cloudy with a chance of Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help! Cloudy with a chance of Cheese

I'm getting ready to smoke up some more cheese with the Amazen smoker.

Can anyone advise me about brining? I've heard people use pickle jar juice for brine, but I have no idea how long it needs to sit in the brine. Any other popular brines for cheese. Does any particular cheese work better than others when it comes to brining? I'm smoking a few kinds of cheddar, some gouda, mozzarella (fresh and dried), and goat cheese.

Any insight/help would be appreciated!
    sigpic

Can't say that I've ever heard of cheese being brined before smoking...plenty of people add various herbs/spices to it before smoking...i.e. cracked pepper...Mad Hunky rub...etc...

I would think it would take a fair amount of time for a brine to add much flavor to cheese. Maybe someone else has more insight for you....??

Good luck!

Eric

Comment

Seems like I have heard of it being brined, somewhere & sometime, but don't remember where & I don't think it is really common?... Maybe it is? .... As Eric mentioned, adding things to the cheese is pretty common...... What type of wood are you planning on using? .... I like to vac pack & let rest at least a month, but have opened up small sample packs sooner "to check"
      sigpic

Comment

My personal preference is to flavor the cheese with the different flavors of the smoke. I love the flavor of the cheese and the addition of the smoke to finish the complexity. I am not much of a pickling guy.
        Scarbelly

Comment

Thanks, Eric!

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
          Can't say that I've ever heard of cheese being brined before smoking...plenty of people add various herbs/spices to it before smoking...i.e. cracked pepper...Mad Hunky rub...etc...

I would think it would take a fair amount of time for a brine to add much flavor to cheese. Maybe someone else has more insight for you....??

Good luck!

Eric
          Thanks, Fishawn! I'll be using hickory magic dust. Only flavor I have on hand. Any recommendations for my next order? I mostly smoke cheddars and mozzarellas.

I still have some cheese left from my last smoke, so it will be pretty easy to let this batch age in the fridge.

Who knows, depending on how much time it would take, I might not end up brining after all, but it sounded interesting enough to give it a try.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Seems like I have heard of it being brined, somewhere & sometime, but don't remember where & I don't think it is really common?... Maybe it is? .... As Eric mentioned, adding things to the cheese is pretty common...... What type of wood are you planning on using? .... I like to vac pack & let rest at least a month, but have opened up small sample packs sooner "to check"
          sigpic

Comment

Most folks seem to like the lighter smoke flavors to start with on cheese.... Fruit woods, Oak, Alder, etc... I like Hickory with Cheddar, but not too much time in the smoke..... And I like to let it rest a while before consuming.
            sigpic

Comment

My go to dust is either Apple or Pecan for cheese
              Scarbelly

Comment

Thanks again, Fishawn!

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Most folks seem to like the lighter smoke flavors to start with on cheese.... Fruit woods, Oak, Alder, etc... I like Hickory with Cheddar, but not too much time in the smoke..... And I like to let it rest a while before consuming.
                sigpic

Comment

I prefer the apple dust myself....not too overpowering.
                  sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

also bear in mind you can mix dried spices and herbs with the wood dust to give added flavour.

Cheese isn't real absorbent so brining probably not going to have much effect.

Flavoured smokes - that's the way to go
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Cheese is already brined during the making of the cheese. Most cheese are soaked in a saturated brine to add salt to the cheese after it is pressed. This also kills any surface bacteria or mold giving it an unwelcome place for molds to form for a few days.

Some cheeses have salt added to the curds before pressing. Vinegar and water is generally only used to remove/kill molds growning on the cheese. Brining before a smoke would make an awfully salty cheese!

Placing the cheese in a mild salt water pickle would kill bacteria and molds but to much or to long will disolve most cheeses. Rubbing a cheese with vinegar and salt water is however a good way to salvage a moldly cheese without cutting off huge pieces.
                      Smokers:
                      ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                      SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                      River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Thanks, Hoser! I definitely plan on getting some apple magic dust

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                        I prefer the apple dust myself....not too overpowering.
                        Wow, curious aardvark, this is the first I've heard of mixing in herbs! Thank you for the info!

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        also bear in mind you can mix dried spices and herbs with the wood dust to give added flavour.

Cheese isn't real absorbent so brining probably not going to have much effect.

Flavoured smokes - that's the way to go
                        Thank you very much for such a comprehensive answer, DeejayDebi! I really appreciate the depth of your cheese knowledge!

And I can't believe you helped me with an answer with a hurricane passing through! Best of luck to you and yours!

Originally posted by DeejayDebi View Post
                        Cheese is already brined during the making of the cheese. Most cheese are soaked in a saturated brine to add salt to the cheese after it is pressed. This also kills any surface bacteria or mold giving it an unwelcome place for molds to form for a few days.

Some cheeses have salt added to the curds before pressing. Vinegar and water is generally only used to remove/kill molds growning on the cheese. Brining before a smoke would make an awfully salty cheese!

Placing the cheese in a mild salt water pickle would kill bacteria and molds but to much or to long will disolve most cheeses. Rubbing a cheese with vinegar and salt water is however a good way to salvage a moldly cheese without cutting off huge pieces.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X